• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Pokémon What's a good Pokemon game to start out with?

Either Heart Gold/Soul Silver, Gen 5, or Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon.
I personally recommend Soul Silver. It's fun, they nerfed Whitney to ****, and has a great plot. Although, you might get pissed off at Entei or Raikou roaring themselves out of existence. Just save, prep your Master Ball, and have a Pokemon with Arena Trap or Shadow Tag.

Black 2. Its challenging and filled with cool moments, has the best music and hands down the coolest title legendary. Also Platinum is great but it will kick your ass, really!

Ehhh, I think White Kyurem is a little better (Although I may be a little biased because I have a shiny Reshiram and Kyurem).

Last edited:
Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon is fun and I definitely recommend it but they don't follow the classic 8 gyms then Elite Four/Champion that Pokemon is known for. USUM and SM does trails not gyms. If you want to do the classic 8 gyms and elite four/champion I'd recommend any game before SM. X&Y and Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby are relatively new and they follow the 8 gym and elite four/champion style. You can also get Yellow, Blue, Red, Gold, and Silver on Virtual Console if you want to go old school.

But I do recommend you buy Ultra Sun or Moon but I don't recommend you start with that game since it doesn't follow the gameplay that Pokemon is widely known for. But you can't go wrong either way.

Not all Pokemon games are playable the 3DS. I hope people responding realize that.
LeafGreen and FireRed can't be played on the 3DS. Unless they released it for VC but I haven't seen it in the eShop.

Last edited:
I would recommend Pokemon Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby for the 3DS. I started out with this game knowing only the bare essentials about Pokemon (I knew Pikachu existed and you could catch little monsters in balls pretty much) and I really enjoyed it. There are a lot of different Pokemon, the region is fun overall, tons of cool Legendaries you can catch, and I found the difficulty was pretty mild.

After that, I would probably go X & Y and then maybe Ultra Moon/Ultra Sun to catch up to the most recent generation. However, I haven't played X or Y, but my boyfriend (who has been a Pokemon fan all his life) thoroughly enjoyed them and I've always heard they were quite easy.

Anything after Pearl, Diamond, or Platinum.

ima be old and say red/blue or fire red/leaf green, but every game before sun/moon is good

I started with Black/White, and it was really fun, but I think X/Y or Omega Ruby/Ultra Sapphire would be a bit more fun with all the shopping options :3

edit: I would say start with Heartgold/Soulsilver or Black/White to kind of get the basics of the game :3 But definitely check out X/Y and Omega Ruby/ Ultra Sapphire

Last edited:
If you're going to start, start with Fire Red and Leaf Green and work your way up. Don't start with the new ones

Last edited:
Diamond/Pearl or X/Y would probably be good starters since getting a hold of the gameboy ones would be pretty hard unless you have an emulator of some sort. Pearl was my first game and it is still my favorite after all these years. Whatever one you choose I'm sure you'll have a good time with, because each generation has some fun extra quirks to them.

Diamond/Pearl or X/Y would probably be good starters since getting a hold of the gameboy ones would be pretty hard unless you have an emulator of some sort.
Actually, Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver and Crystal are avalaible on 3DS Virtual Console.

Back