• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

we have a love/hate relationship with not just McDonald's but with all fast food, because we crave tasty fried snacks, yet we know it isn't good for us. (i don't think that's an American thing, tho, is it?? )

I'm not allowed to eat McDonalds, the only thing I get from there is apple pie which probably has bad stuff in it too since its McDonalds (that was kind of a joke)

buuut I eat Wendy's and Popeye's so that makes up for it

and yes, I know Wendy's and popeye's probably has bad stuff in it too but that's just how my mom feels

Last edited:
Please stop pretending be McDonald?s is an American thing. It?s the most popular fast food restaurant in the world lol

I mean, yeah it is, but it started here and is mostly around here. It tastes different in other countries because it's made differently in other countries, and its influence here and how it's made here generates the stigma surrounding the opinions OP's seen around, so the thread's content is still appropriate.

Last edited:
Most people I know go there when they want something cheap but don't care about quality.

I mean almost everyone i know says they have the best french fries. does anyone dislike their fries?

I think their double quarter pounder w.cheese is a really good burger.

yeh the chicken nuggets are a little scary tho in a prefab way, but sometimes ya just wanna have a few of them anyways...

I like junk food but sometimes I wish all those fast food chains with low quality food never existed because they cause more harm than good.

it's just cheap fast food so it's hated because of how horribly gross it is for you, but it's cheap comfort food so we love it. i've heard mcdonalds in australia is better though so im curious

(I live in the U.K. We don't have a McDonalds anywhere near me.)

That's unusual. :eek: I live in the middle of farmland (also in the UK) and can think of at least three within twenty minutes driving distance!

I'm up in the city twice a week at the moment and despite all the awful things in their food (and all junk food) I'm always tempted to get something hot to go this time of year when it's below freezing and I've an 1.5-2hr journey home. Time constraints in changing trains is the only thing protecting my waistline.
;)

i'm not american, but mcdonalds is a guilty pleasure of mine. i like how they do the hamburgers, nuggets and fries. i eat food from there like twice a month though

Glad this thread isn’t anti-American. Those just makes me smh.

Ugh ever since I got pregnant again, my husband is constantly wanting to go to McDonald's... It makes me barf, but unfortunately i sometimes crave it. Its a love/hate type of deal. The only things i get from McDonald's are their fries, and a crispy chicken... But on most days just the fries. I LOVE wendy's! Well only their caesar side salads! I can eat those for days!

The last time I had McDonald’s it was for coffee. I haven’t eaten food there in almost a year. I eat there maybe twice a year or so, I prefer other fast food places.

I figured something out about the McDonald's Big Mac-- the main taste profile is the special sauce, the bread, and the lettuce... the beef and cheese get overwhelmed by the other components of the sandwich. So sometimes if I've got a Big Mac craving, i'll just order a hamburger and have them add Mac sauce (and maybe shredded lettuce too)...

another McDonald's item I think everyone can agree is awesome, is the Shamrock Shake...

I haven’t read all of the replies so I don’t know if it has been mentioned yet, but farmers in the US aren’t subsidized (at all, as far as I know) so most of the unprocessed, healthy food is prohibitively expensive for low-income families. Basically, for 5$ you can either get a single head of lettuce OR an entire McDonald’s menu. If you’re short on cash, you’ll tend to pick the latter, regardless if it’s healthy or not.

Last edited:
Everyone who said it's a love/hate relationship has kinda hit it on the nose. Most of the complaints are because there is better food out there - better french fries, better burgers, better chicken, better milkshakes - both in terms of taste and healthiness. And aside from a few wild cravings every now and then which we're all guilty of, many people don't eat at McDonald's because they love the taste. They eat it because it's convenient, familiar, ubiquitous, and most of their locations are open 24 hours a day. Or because it's what their children want and they don't want to argue.

It's the same thing as our attitude about Walmart. Everyone makes fun of "People of Walmart" and they mock Walmart goods as being inferior, yet they're all in Walmart getting their groceries every week.

Also I can't speak for your region, but I went on a small vacation to the London area a few years ago, and at least when I went, there was a McDonald's within walking distance of Windsor Castle :p

Que? I assume some Americans like it, and some don't lmao... I don't really understand the question hsssn

Back