• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Signature sizes are confusing me..

MayorKami

Just a helpful mayor <3
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Silver Mailbox
Tasty Cake
White Pansy
The limits on the rules say signatures can only be 250x715, but when I made my signature it posted under the signature line and looked reeeally small. It might be the fact that I’m on mobile, and I am going to check my PC tomorrow, but right now my signature picture is as big as a thumb nail. I’ve seen many other people with signatures from Ariane and things like that, and in comparison, those are pretty much 5 times the size. It also isn’t posting as a transparent background, even though I exported it that way 0~0 I also bought a size adjustment from the shop, but that might just be for my avatar, not my signature. Is there different sizes for signatures I just don’t know about? Or is the 250x715 just a general rule of thumb for loading the page fairly quickly? I also need a tiny bit of help with spoilers.. it keeps saying “Spoiler” in the title instead of “My signature”.. sorry for the long post but I am v confused

(If you look at my signature it hasn’t changed since I posted this.. you can see all the problems I am having XD)

Last edited:
I can answer one of those questions: the reason "My Signature" isn't showing up in your spoiler box is probably because you aren't formatting it right. Try writing it like this:

[/ SPOILER] (Just take out the spaces between / and SPOILER)

If you do it right, it should look like this:
yo

Sorry, I can't answer your other questions. Hope that helped.

The maximum height for a signature is 250px high and 715px wide, and this includes any spoilers or added text. Your image is 150px high at the moment, so it's well in truly under the limit. Did you resize it to that size or did you make it that size? You don't need any size addons for signatures, it just needs to be within those limits. the addon that you brought only applies to avatars. As far as the transparency going away, I assume you uploaded it to the forums to get it in your signature? It's far better to upload avatars and signatures in another site like imgur, as imgur will keep your transparency and quality of the image.

As for spoilers, they work like this:
HTML:
[spoiler="name of spoiler here, like My signature"] signature stuff [/spoiler]
Just make sure to put quote marks " around what you're titling your spoiler and you'll be good :)

I don't know if that makes sense or helps, but as for your sig I'd try to upload it elsewhere like Imgur. It's way easier doing it on a PC as well :p

I just used this tool and went to a random thread, and a few people's sigs were 278 high.. is it just that they aren't following the rule or do they ask or something

They either aren't abiding to the rule and the staff haven't warned them yet, or sometimes people (like myself) use tables in the signature which for some reason adds on extra pixels to the height of the signature but when you actually measure it elsewhere it's less than 250 px. I guess if you aim to have an image of around 230 px high in your signature, you should be good to add a bit of text or whatever without worrying about your signature breaking the rules :)

I just used this tool and went to a random thread, and a few people's sigs were 278 high.. is it just that they aren't following the rule or do they ask or something

Yeah I think my signature is too tall, but it's not overly too tall so it's fine.

What bothers me, though, is when someone has a super duper tall signature (I'm talkin like 400px tall) and it stays up. I don't even understand how that works xDD

Yeah, 278px-tall signatures are due to people using tables as approximately 28px extra padding is added, more if there are multiple columns. Signatures that go over the 250px limit due to this commonly have a blind eye turned to. Don't stick a 500?500 image in and you'll be fine.

What bothers me, though, is when someone has a super duper tall signature (I'm talkin like 400px tall) and it stays up. I don't even understand how that works xDD

I've seen some pretty tall signatures, but none that have stuck around for long. I usually let people know if they've unintentionally uploaded a 300px tall image or something.

Back