• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Hey, people are still playing game cube and wild world, I don't think it will fade completely.
I think a switch ac game will be a boon to acnl, especially if they have more cards.

I doubt I'd give up New Leaf just because a Switch version might come out. I can't get a Switch either, and I plan to keep on playing New Leaf even if I'm the only one doing so. I understand the sadness - I'd hate to see New Leaf die out; both from the community and from Nintendo support of the game, but I still go back to the older versions and my husband still plays City Folk since he can't use the ds due to a vision condition he has.

if acnl will be the last animal crossing for 3ds then i dont think it will die out in terms of nintendo's support? ds is still going to be very popular and if they drop online support for acnl theyll get rid of one of the main reasons why people even buy 3ds anymore... 3ds survived wii and should also survive switch as its cheaper and more portable, so i think were safe?
and hey, there are maaany people who wont be able to afford switch so we'll all continue playing new leaf ^^ its going to be allright!

They haven't mentioned a switch game. Instead they went with a lousy in-app purchase, internet required mobile game.

Pocket Cramp.

NL has a lot of life left in it.

Last edited:
I honestly don't see an AC Switch game coming out before 2019 or 2020.

And even when they release another core AC game, I'll still be playing my 3DS towns. Too much time and effort to throw away.

I'm never buying a switch haha... AC would be the only game I play on it and even though i love the ac series to death i'll never pick up a new console solely for it (was kind of the same for wii back then but i mean ac is superior as a handheld)

maybe i'm just not interested in dropping 300$ for a new console for just one game.

I bought a 3ds xl just to play NL. I'd buy a switch, if the game didn't require internet.

It'll be a long time until I can afford a Switch so I'll be playing NL for years to come.

I feel like it will take a long time before NL dies out. After all, it's been out for how many years now, and it's still going strong with a strong fandom. It's not like other game series where people play the game and instantly move on to the new, shiny one. It's very stand alone and unique.

I've been playing since the release of ACNL and will still play if a Switch AC game gets released.
I own a Switch and some 3DSXL. The Switch would be nice to play on the big screen TV but sure how trading/visiting towns will work.
I prefer to visit my own towns when I need petitions done. Extra 3DS works but I don't want to buy 2 Switch just to trade or visit my own towns.

There's still going to be some players that will still play this, but it'll be outdated. And those that'll still play this after the AC Switch released might not have enough money for the Switch/AC Switch/Both.

So don't worry too much, ok?

I also considered buying a new console, but then I saw the price. Can't afford that now, since I spent that amount on my NL towns, with a separate handheld for each. Well, one was secondhand, but it felt like a lot at the time. I wanted to try Pocket Camp as well, after hearing some people on another site's praises. But my current phone does not support it (too old). That's the way it goes with new apps I suppose.

Reading this thread reminds me that I have dying Gamecube/Wii towns to visit. It's been about half a year since I checked in on any of my villagers :(

Me too! But like others said I don't think it will die out super quick. Either way I'll still be playing ACNL alongside the switch animal crossing.

I won't worry about the death of this game: It is already incredibly mature in the lifespan of Animal Crossing, and it is a true classic in the making. The fact that they gave it an update 4 years after it release really speaks to how awesome this game is.

Now, if they announce a Switch version sometime in 2018/19, I won't sweat about the 300$ price tag we have right now. In fact, I see one great element about the Switch compared to the other Nintendo Consoles: It looks like it could be made even less expensive as time goes on.

What Nintendo could do is pull a "2DS trick" with the Switch: When Pokemon X/Y came out in 2013, They also released a cheaper-to-make variant of the 3DS for 120$, so to lower the barrier for children play that new popular franchise game. This 2DS was then so cheap to produce, they lowered the price down even more to 80$, plus a free game.

Think about it: How could they not pull a variant like that for the Switch? I could see the console go down to under 150$ before the next AC game arrives.

Considering they recently updated this title I don't think we have a new AC coming any time soon. No surprise here if they wanted this update plus Pocket Camp to hold us over for another couple years. Which is totally fine by me! I'm actually about to buy a second cartridge and begin a whole nother town, so you better bet I'll be playing this game for another 2 years minimum~

So don't sweat it, join us in simply enjoying the heck out of this game!

Last edited:
I agree that it's probably a long time before we'll get a new game. Especially since the update was reasonably recent and they haven't even announced a game yet. I remember when we got New Leaf it took a very long time even after the game was announced and footage was made public.
Don't worry, enjoy the game. :)

i don't think I'll be dropping new leaf any time soon. even if the community dies down, I got my friends to play it and I don't think they can afford switches either :/

Back