I plan on still playing NL espically since like others I don't have a switch ><
Even if I did I'd always come back to New leaf

I'm sure there will still be plenty of people who want to play ACNL. I am more concerned about Nintendo giving up on the 3DS like they gave up on miiverse. If they got rid of the online multiplayer, I would probably lose interest in playing.

Well, seeing as I just started my first town this month, I certainly hope New Leaf doesn't die anytime soon!

I don't have a Switch console, nor do I intend to get one. I'm busy enough that I barely have time to use my 3DS. Something tells me that, given the size of the NL playerbase, it's unlikely that literally everyone will up and move to the Switch version. Cost, time, disinterest - there's a lot of reasons someone might not make the "switch" - pardon the pun.

Personally, I don't think it's something to worry about. NL is still going strong after four years - a handheld game with this much longevity won't be knocked by a console version.

I hope it doesn't die, this is the best game in the series IMO. I don't plan to get a switch, the only reason I would ever consider getting one would be if they made a new AC game and it was amazing, but even then the price tag to just play one game wouldn't be worth it to me.

If at some point NL ends up like WW where they pull all support for it, I would still play it. I go through fazes where I don't play for months then go crazy playing it again. I would love to play all AC games, but some I just can't play for "game movement" reasons, so I stick with the ones that I can play. Right now that is NL and PC.

Yeah, same here :( Been on and off it since 2013 and yeah unless they make the Switch cheaper and better battery I won't get that overpriced crap for a long time.

Yeah I would probably still play it, I mean as long as I can get all the stuff I want...

I bought a 3ds xl just to play NL. I'd buy a switch, if the game didn't require internet.

i bought my 3ds with NL and WW in mind as well, but i really dont think ill ever be able to justify spending that much money on switch. id rather get a playstation and have more games, while enjoying the nintendo classics on my ds ^^ plus i got acnl very recently so i have a loooot to play haha. i can see why youd be willing to get switch just for the new game though :)

Last edited:
I'm ready to drop New Leaf like a bad habit as soon as the (very likely) Switch AC drops. :)

dont even make me think about that... i swear if they kill off NL for the ****ing switch i will ****ing slit their throats open and dig them a grave because thats what happened to my wii u. i got my wii u instead of a switch because i ****ing refused to get one because i simply didnt want one. plus you pay for the internet on the switch... **** no... i dont want that bull

Last edited:
dont even make me think about that... i swear if they kill off NL for the ****ing switch i will ****ing slit their throats open and dig them a grave because thats what happened to my wii u. i got my wii u instead of a switch because i ****ing refused to get one because i simply didnt want one. plus you pay for the internet on the switch... **** no... i dont want that bull

Don't hold back!
Tell us what you really think. :D

to be honest I've been thinking about this lately and kind of wanted to start a thread talking about my concerns, then I realized something! every time a new animal crossing comes out, ok I'm mainly talking about happy home designer and pocket camp, I keep thinking it would make people put down new leaf, or more realistically, make it significantly not as actively played or discussed among the community. instead, I believe such games actually made people appreciate it more! at least that happened to me.

well, whenever I play ac hhd I think about new leaf and eventually find myself going back to it. and pocket camp!!! didn't you notice that since the app came out, instead of abandoning new leaf, people actually started going back to it again. pocket camp made me start a new game in new leaf and I regret nothing, I play it almost everyday now and I see that the community is still actively playing as well which is great.

of course releasing an actual main animal crossing game will be a completely different situation/comparison from the spin off games I mentioned but since the new game will definitely be a nintendo switch release it means people who don't have a swich, as mentioned in previous comments on this thread, plus the fact that soon the switch's internet will no longer be free, means they are probably still going to be playing this game.

finally I can say a new animal crossing game coming out on the switch isn't even a thing yet so maybe we can just happily play the game now and not thing about it too much. also who know, maybe somehow there we'll be able to connect between new leaf and the possible new game like the pokemon games do, but who knows.

Last edited:
Yeah, I will probably not even buy a Switch until the next AC game is announced. Mostly because I don't see the point in buying my own right now when I can just go to my mom's house and play with my sister's (they live nearby).

For all the concerns about online multiplayer not being free: There may be some exceptions to the rule, in that some kinds of online play could stay free. This free area could apply to more casual uses - The online pay was created because very online heavy forms of it like Smash Bros., Splatoon, and MMO Games, require lots of intensive maintenance to make them work.

Animal Crossing, on the other hand, isn't very intensive in online play at all. There's no ranking system, major competitiveness and technical stuff behind the scenes to its multiplayer. I could see online remaining free in many aspects of AC Switch... Unless they really go all in towards online play.

Again, though: Don't go crazy about New Leaf being abandoned anytime soon! It's still the latest mainline AC game, and the Switch title has yet to be announced yet... And when it does get announced, New Leaf will have had a grand run - a 5+ year old game that still has a large fanbase even after all the crazy spinoffs?! That's something to be proud of, not to mope about.

Last edited:
New Leaf will be around for a long time. I wouldn't worry about that! So many people have made their towns part of their daily or weekly routines. A new title for the series isn't going to make everyone spontaneously abandon the towns they've been working on for the past five years!

Not to mention, so many new players join every single day. Nobody can take NL away from you, don't worry!

Again, though: Don't go crazy about New Leaf being abandoned anytime soon! It's still the latest mainline AC game, and the Switch title has yet to be announced yet... And when it does get announced, New Leaf will have had a grand run - a 5+ year old game that still has a large fanbase even after all the crazy spinoffs?! That's something to be proud of, not to mope about.

agreed. i think new leaf is gonna be popular for at least another year or so. it has definitely became less popular over the years, but as people are still coming new to the game, and there was a big update only a year ago so i think it's gonna continue for a while.

Back