• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Something you wish your peers would understand about you?

I knew exactly what I wanted to say when I read the title, haha.

My friends always complain that I don't talk enough when I'm hanging out with them, but I wish they'd understand why - I just don't have anything to say. Especially when all they talk about is TikTok, the latest trends, and sex. What the heck am I supposed to say?? Maybe if they started talking about video games, I might talk a bit more.

Also, those same friends just straight-up don't understand I'm anti-social. I don't wanna go too deep into it 'cause I don't wanna start ranting, but I was basically pressured to ask out my crush even when I wasn't ready the last time I hung out with them, which was over a month ago. 🥲

That's all I can think of for now, but basically my friends (and people in general I guess) don't really understand my introverted tendencies, though I suppose it's not their fault.

I wish people wouldn’t judge someone solely based on appearance. I’m mainly referring to my hair color and how people feel some type of way if you have an unnatural color in your hair. I’ve been dying my hair since my freshman year of high school, so, a very long time. The reason I started is very personal to me, and it sucks when people form opinions on you based on something like the color of your hair.

That I'm genuinely happy with my life despite the fact I still live with my mum, I'm not in a relationship nor do I have the desire to settle down anytime soon.

i wish my friends would understand that my social-ness isnt as high as it used to be a few years ago. i like being around people, i really do, but i really really enjoy having me time and i'd love to be undisturbed for like... an hour. i know i'm "alone" at work since i work in an office but alone at work and alone at home is different. i cant do everything every day because i just want some time to recharge.

That I cannot function like everyone else, that I have poor social skills, and that I am sensitive to rude jokes towards me.

I’ve said this unprompted but I want people to really philosophise with and share deeper thoughts with. My friends and I pretty much only share our time jokingly. Mental discussion and advice are superficial and generic, although at least these friends stuck with me.

I want someone to share deeper thoughts and conversations with. What’s your take on this word or art? What does this semantic mean to you? What have you learned along the way in life? Stories? Why do you love your hobbies (beyond aesthetic/sheer fun- interesting stories about them)? Solving this and that, finding stories and beauty in that and this. Semantics and real immersion in philosophy and stories and even aesthetics to the point of being able to capture and lay out why you love them. Self-awareness and insight.

People who learn with and truly speak with me and we both find new things and learn in eachother. I’m not even good at explaining it but I want more than just hanging around every day joking around, or when I do speak up about more, getting very little from it. I want things that are truly meaningful to me. I know it wouldn’t be constant because that would be exhausting, but I feel like I never ever share it with anyone now.

This all sounds very picky and needy. Maybe I am. But I’ve tempered my expectations many many times and they have changed over the years- it hasn’t made me feel any better. I am very emotionally insightful, and in the last few years I feel I only had one friend who mirrored that and truly cared (he betrayed me and was lying about a lot, so we aren’t friends anymore). Everyone else doesn’t know what to do with me (or I failed myself and didn’t really spend time with them).

That kind of insight and philosophy and connection to ideas. If I may be dramatic. Is what I live for.

That I cannot function like everyone else, that I have poor social skills, and that I am sensitive to rude jokes towards me.

Damn I relate to this too, I really do feel like everyone is an Iphone with the latest greatest model and I'm the only Nokia with dated technology. I function, but barely, and not in the same way everyone else does. I'm not on the same 'brain wave' as everyone else, my mind quite literally works differently and it's so hard to explain to others my thought process. It will make perfect sense to me, but when I try to explain it, it comes out jumbled and a mess. It doesn't help that I have a speech issue as well and I have a hard time processing my thoughts, putting it into words then SAYING those words without it coming out a mess. I need a script otherwise I will never say all I want and I will never get my point across fluently.

I also wish people would not mistake my kindness as me being a pushover and someone to take advantage of. I'm nice cause I don't have anythin against that person, but keep treating me like crap and I will slowly stop being nice. I need to stop taking flack from people.

that im actually very social but i just need to warm up to you first. i don’t talk a lot because i don’t know what to say, it’s not because i don’t like people or because im disinterested.

Back