• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Something you wish your peers would understand about you?

xSuperMario64x

Canadian at heart 💜🇨🇦
Peach 🍑
Coconut 🥥
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
8558-0128-9692
Island
He/him
Green Bunny Balloon
Cyan Bunny Balloon
Snow Bunny
Fresh Feather
Cool Feather
I was just thinking about how my peers never seem to care to listen to me play piano.
And no, I'm not an amateur or anything, I'm not just someone who bangs around on a piano and thinks I'm playing. I'm a freshman in college, doing a major in piano performance. I've played for churches, dinners, and parties, and I always get compliments from the adults on how well I play, etc.
But yesterday I was playing piano while some of my peers (actually people I've known since I was about 10) were setting up a Christmas tree. Of course, they didn't care about my playing, they decided to turn on Christmas music and tell me to stop playing.
I feel like my peers don't care about my playing piano, and it actually hurts my feelings, because piano is one of the things I do best and boosts my self-esteem. When I get the sense that people don't care about it, it makes me feel bad. But this always seems to be the case, that's why I tend to dodge opportunities to play for people.
Tbh things like this are probably why I absolutely hate talking to my peers, why I'm so antisocial.

Anyone else have a similar situation?

Probably my dad (and probably the society lmao) not giving a **** that I have Asperger and that I can't function like everyone else -_-

Ah, your post hits a little too close to home... It‘s the same for me, but with drawing instead of playing piano. The ones who mattered to me the most never wanted to even look at what I drew, which broke my heart a little more everyday. I kinda gave up on everything drawing because of that.

Last edited:
i try to function but i literally have depression so sometimes getting out of bed and changing out of the shirt ive had on for 3 days straight is the most i can do and yeah i wish i could be more productive but your motivational speeches really dont work, no matter how much i wish they would, so please dont act surprised every time or put me in difficult positions

Probably my dad (and probably the society lmao) not giving a **** that I have Asperger and that I can't function like everyone else -_-

I know how you feel (society part tho) about Asperger's! I have it too!

I know how you feel (society part tho) about Asperger's! I have it too!

Yeah, and it's pretty much impossible to get any good financial help here unless you get like into work training and later eventually some kind of job, or get your doctor to write verrry concretely that you are tied to your bed with depression and 5 daily routine schedules and crap :/

Yeah, and it's pretty much impossible to get any good financial help here unless you get like into work training and later eventually some kind of job, or get your doctor to write verrry concretely that you are tied to your bed with depression and 5 daily routine schedules and crap :/

I'm 13 so haven't had to expirence that yet

I'm 13 so haven't had to expirence that yet

Be glad. I got diagnosed pretty late and the bureaucracy is the worst here. Luckily I got to meet a job coach who understands my need so we can try and find something together, and I think she got contacts with work training but still. I love how autism/aspie/other kinds of ASD things are like the most vulnerable group in society because of ignorance and they never care to ask us questions when we apply for things.

Oh, that piano story breaks my heart and it’s so relatable.
Well for me, my friends know that I have anger management, I’ve told them several times. Yet whenever I sometimes get distressed or mad at times, they look at me as if I’m a stupid person and me having anger management has nothing to do with my behaviour. It’s almost as if they get ticked off at me and think my anger management is fake so that I could just get angry at them and blame it on the ‘fake’ anger problem I have.
Something else I have is a skill in writing. For each of my friends’, I once wrote a deep, long, beautiful piece of writing about how wonderful they are as friends and how much I will miss them over the Christmas holidays. I also drew cute little stamps matching something their likes/interests at the bottom of the letter. I also wrote it on a piece of lined paper, but I used lots of tools to design it. When I gave it to my friends, one of them said:
“You should’ve bought an actual card and written it on there”.
And yet I decorated the lined paper with a BILLION things.
I drew a stamp which had a handbag on it (because my friend was interested in fashion), and she said:
“Did you give any to the boys? Do they have handbags like these on theirs? *starts laughing and throws paper away*”.
It may seem funny to read at first, but you didn’t know how hurt I was. You know, I could’ve just not cared a tiny bit and just not even wasted precious hours of my life to write that letter.
Well, I think I’m going too deep into this. I’ll just leave it here. -.-

I have social anxiety so yes, even if I know you very well I tend to be quiet and like to avoid going out with you all the time. I suppose some might think it makes me stuck up and that hurts. I'm fine with short bursts of socialization but not every day.

Anyway, I'd love to hear you play piano. Do you upload to youtube?

I've actually been considering it, but I don't have any videos yet. I'm sure I'll make a post in The Museum when I do :)

My anxiety and mood swings. I've had relationships and potential relationships screwed up because of my mental disorders. It's like no one understands me at all. It's hard to leave the house, yet my sister and mum blame me for it, despite me not being able to help it.

I feel like my friends show no respect for my love of music. I sing for a hour a day and practice piano, guitar and I listen to music. I signed up for a talent show playing piano and singing but, I am nervous since a similar incident happened to me. I was playing the song 'Save Me' by BTS (my favourite song) but I live in UK and my friends think it is weird that I love Korean music. I lied to say that I was being sarcastic but deep inside, I wished they would have said "Nice playing!" or "Well done!" instead of "that's so weird you listen to Korean music!". Also I'm too embarrassed to tell my parents about my music taste or play for them... what should I do?

I have social anxiety so yes, even if I know you very well I tend to be quiet and like to avoid going out with you all the time. I suppose some might think it makes me stuck up and that hurts. I'm fine with short bursts of socialization but not every day.

oooh, this ;; i feel the same, yet my friends used to always think that i was either a boring loner or that i was avoiding them! and whenever i had to do a stressful task, and asked them for help they would just laugh or tell me to do it myself because its "simple". im so glad i cut contact with them

- - - Post Merge - - -

I've actually been considering it, but I don't have any videos yet. I'm sure I'll make a post in The Museum when I do :)

please do ;; i love listening to piano music and from what you've said it seems that you have a beautiful gift! share it with us when you figure it all out ^^

im not being lazy or moody
i don't want to talk to them because i will probably have a mini heart attack.
i know it doesn't affect you as much as it does to me so please understand.

Immediately, all I thought about when reading the heading was my anxiety. No one really understands how I feel (unless you experience it yourself) when in such a situation or a panic attack. It's really not a pleasant place to be in, I'm terribly uncomfortable about how other people will react to my attacks. I hate receiving sympathy for it, once I'm in the attack, it won't go away by asking if I'm ok or not. Letting it run it's course is the best solution for me. The sooner I realise that nothing is wrong with me and that all is OK in the world, the better I will feel and the attack rapidly disappears. I want people to understand that there is nothing that they can do to help, as blunt as it sounds, simply telling someone to calm down is not the solution to the problem. It completely antagonizes me when people do this!

I wish that people would understand that when I'm crying in panic, that I'm not actually upset; I'm just deeply shocked and my only reaction to this overwhelming feeling of panic is to cry and curl up in a ball.

I feel like my friends show no respect for my love of music. I sing for a hour a day and practice piano, guitar and I listen to music. I signed up for a talent show playing piano and singing but, I am nervous since a similar incident happened to me. I was playing the song 'Save Me' by BTS (my favourite song) but I live in UK and my friends think it is weird that I love Korean music. I lied to say that I was being sarcastic but deep inside, I wished they would have said "Nice playing!" or "Well done!" instead of "that's so weird you listen to Korean music!". Also I'm too embarrassed to tell my parents about my music taste or play for them... what should I do?

this.. i really love old portuguese protest music and when i tell people they are like: ??? okay next lol (and i like some west african oldies too and have kinda odd taste in general) but yaaa

this.. i really love old portuguese protest music and when i tell people they are like: ??? okay next lol (and i like some west african oldies too and have kinda odd taste in general) but yaaa

Tbh even though I don't understand Portuguese I do like the music you send me

Tbh even though I don't understand Portuguese I do like the music you send me

yeah i understand some of the lyrics (and the context since i've read up about and studied some about the colonial wars they had in the 20th century during the 50s-70s and stuff) but yeah you should look em up tbh, good stuff.

glad you like it though :blush:

yeah i understand some of the lyrics (and the context since i've read up about and studied some about the colonial wars they had in the 20th century during the 50s-70s and stuff) but yeah you should look em up tbh, good stuff.

glad you like it though :blush:

Yea I listened to it and it's actually good :)

Back