• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Tax Cuts and Jobs Act - Your Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alolan_Apples

Apple Imperialist
Apple 🍎
Coconut 🥥
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Just yesterday, the Senate passed the tax reform bill 51 to 49. This is the first legislative victory during the Trump administration. What are your opinions on this tax cut?

To me, there's both goods and bads. Some may see it as all good, while others see it as all bad. In my opinion, the best news is that Obamacare's individual mandate is repealed. It's really un-American to force people to own something. But the worst news is that it's going to worsen the national debt. It is already too high, and we don't need to continue raising it.

Well I guess you heard Bernie Sanders on it? Says a lot, in my opinion. But yeah it will probably be for the bad since yeah it's probably gonna be nice to rich people owning their private clinics and making loads of money on others.

In my opinion, the best news is that Obamacare's individual mandate is repealed. It's really un-American to force people to own something.

I love how this keep coming, so you mean bad it's actually having/owning an insurance that can give you help, rather than making a small part of the population that got the money having it even better so they can check in wherever they want? I will probably never get your weird lib health system but yeah... That if something should be more state-owned, and/or actually care to provide it for everyone regardless of income. If forcing people to get insurance, that is a good thing. I don't think it's "freedom" to have a sickness for your whole life that prevents you from doing what you want.

In regards that you have to submit proof of coverage, that is pretty, eh obvious. No one likes cheaters. But yeah, you have to find a good solution on this too, especially if you don't have a job or are retired with little money.

Last edited:
Not exactly a big fan of it. There's also barely legible writing on many parts of it...

I would also like to mention that tax cuts on corporations is not going to alleviate or deteriorate corporate greed. That’s more of a shareholder thing rather than a CEO hoarding thing.

Tax rates are merely legal minimuns. If you are not happy with them, you are free to give the government more of your earning if you
wish.

Honestly, I'm not sure I can find anything good about a bill, masquerading as reform, which essentially guts the insurance program of millions and give out goodie bags to the wealthiest at the expense of the rest of us.

Shields was much more eloquent in her answer. I think that the idea of a "win" before the end of the year became all that mattered.

In my opinion, the best news is that Obamacare's individual mandate is repealed. It's really un-American to force people to own something.

I don't care for the individual mandate, but at the same time, I don't see why it's "un-American." It's not like such a thing is new. Many states have mandatory (at least liability) car insurance. Some apartments require you to have renter's insurance and even banks can require you to have homeowner's insurance to get a mortgage to buy a house.

Anyway, I don't have any thoughts on the tax bill itself. It's not going to Trump's desk in its current form because the House passed a different tax bill. They will have to come to a compromised, deconflicted bill for it to go to Trump's desk for signature and to possibly get passed into law.

Well considering the tax cuts are for, you know, rich people and corporations... people and companies who make millions or more... guess who has to pick up the slack? That's right my fellow working class Americans. I believe it even says in the bill that we basically all get tax cuts but in a year or two after it's actually implemented the working class taxes go up quite a lot. Do you know why? Because you're life is not worth anything and any money you make actually belongs to someone else. I think it also consolidates some tax brackets so now you may be in a higher tax bracket and don't get to get a return at the end of tax season too! I think this is just great for the American economy to starve the working class even more! What a wonderful job, President Trump. That was sarcasm by the way. I think the tax bill is just awful.

As for the heath care bill, America is just.... I don't understand why people want their fellow Americans to not be allowed to get insurance. Most people who complain that they're required to get insurance only complain because they can't afford it. If you can't afford it you were probably eligible for medicaid or a cheaper form of commercial insurance. I work with insurance every day at our local clinical office. When you say you're glad it was repealed you basically say to me that you are glad that millions of people who can't afford insurance don't get to have insurance. They don't get to go to the doctor when they're sick. You're saying that their life is not worth taking care of.

You tell me that you're okay with corporations taking money from you in taxes and getting tax breaks by reaching into your pocket filled with your hard earned money, but you're not okay with your fellow Americans getting the health care they deserve because you think your life is worth more than theirs. We're all equal people. You deserve to be able to go to the doctor just as much as they do.

This is going to be a very taxing (heeeey :cool: ) 4-8 years...

Last edited:
Well considering the tax cuts are for, you know, rich people and corporations... people and companies who make millions or more... guess who has to pick up the slack? That's right my fellow working class Americans. I believe it even says in the bill that we basically all get tax cuts but in a year or two after it's actually implemented the working class taxes go up quite a lot. Do you know why? Because you're life is not worth anything and any money you make actually belongs to someone else. I think it also consolidates some tax brackets so now you may be in a higher tax bracket and don't get to get a return at the end of tax season too! I think this is just great for the American economy to starve the working class even more! What a wonderful job, President Trump. That was sarcasm by the way. I think the tax bill is just awful.

As for the heath care bill, America is just.... I don't understand why people want their fellow Americans to not be allowed to get insurance. Most people who complain that they're required to get insurance only complain because they can't afford it. If you can't afford it you were probably eligible for medicaid or a cheaper form of commercial insurance. I work with insurance every day at our local clinical office. When you say you're glad it was repealed you basically say to me that you are glad that millions of people who can't afford insurance don't get to have insurance. They don't get to go to the doctor when they're sick. You're saying that their life is not worth taking care of.

You tell me that you're okay with corporations taking money from you in taxes and getting tax breaks by reaching into your pocket filled with your hard earned money, but you're not okay with your fellow Americans getting the health care they deserve because you think your life is worth more than theirs. We're all equal people. You deserve to be able to go to the doctor just as much as they do.

This is going to be a very taxing (heeeey :cool: ) 4-8 years...

Couldn't have put it much better. I probably won't understand that attitude that you should be able to "choose" if you want an insurance and a shoot a getting healthy rather than staying sick forever (unless you can pay, a lot). I mean if anything your choice here should be insurance... right?

And yeah everything about this act is pretty much making it good for those who have a stable income that is large and got their job secured.. and/or is very rich in general, which is far from everyone.

the gsp between the rich and the poor is already super big in the us, lowering the tax is only going to make it worse.

the gsp between the rich and the poor is already super big in the us, lowering the tax is only going to make it worse.

I guess you mean gap, but yeah true again.

Love how they are all "yay tax cuts" when yeah it only gives good for the already rich and makes it even harder for working class people.. or people who don't have anything in general. If everything is based on pay your (if you want and can) fees that are a) really expensive and will get you in debt immediately and/or b) supposed to be some freedom where you can't really choose to pay anyway because then you will be sick and stay at home for the rest of your life.

yes feel the bern everyone supported trump/random right people who thought this was a good idea in your wallet and life.

Couldn't have put it much better. I probably won't understand that attitude that you should be able to "choose" if you want an insurance and a shoot a getting healthy rather than staying sick forever (unless you can pay, a lot). I mean if anything your choice here should be insurance... right?

And yeah everything about this act is pretty much making it good for those who have a stable income that is large and got their job secured.. and/or is very rich in general, which is far from everyone.

Part of the reason why I’m against the individual mandate is that some people couldn’t even afford Obamacare’s health insurance. And if they can, they can only afford a bad insurance plan. So if they don’t even own insurance, they get fined. The rich that don’t need insurance, still required to own insurance as part of being an American citizen.

Whether it’s for safety or not, we don’t need the government to poke their noses in everyone’s business. They have their jobs, we have ours. If someone chooses not to have insurance, it’s their problem.

As for more discussion on taxes, if you don’t like Trump, this is a legitimate reason to hate him. But he’s not the only one acting like a child. There’s Mitch McConnell and Chuck Schumer, you know.

Last edited:
Part of the reason why I?m against the individual mandate is that some people couldn?t even afford Obamacare?s health insurance. And if they can, they can only afford a bad insurance plan.

you're right, we should throw out for-profit insurance companies and make healthcare a human right

If someone chooses to be sick, it?s their problem.

what the actual **** does that mean?

Part of the reason why I’m against the individual mandate is that some people couldn’t even afford Obamacare’s health insurance. And if they can, they can only afford a bad insurance plan. So if they don’t even own insurance, they get fined. The rich that don’t need insurance, still required to own insurance as part of being an American citizen.

Whether it’s for safety or not, we don’t need the government to poke their noses in everyone’s business. They have their jobs, we have ours. If someone chooses to be sick, it’s their problem.

As for more discussion on taxes, if you don’t like Trump, this is a legitimate reason to hate him. But he’s not the only one acting like a child. There’s Mitch McConnell and Chuck Schumer, you know.

If anything they should make everyone be able to afford it if y'all refuses to make the money go for somewhat free healthcare (or less based on money nonetheless). Also I think I'd rather have one not too "complete" insurance so I can get something at least rather than being able to choose. Also, yes you do need government apparently to poke around since you seem very willing to be sick randomly as a freedom of choice thing? Also some examples of hospital bills people get are just... do people think everyone is billionaires and can pay it off in their lives?

Also if you think it's their own problem, you need to step up and be at least a wee bit more thinking about people and show solidarity. So you want them not to get any help from society/hospitals, or help them yourself so they can get proper treatment? But I guess it's kinda good to know where you stand, I guess. I just think it's really selfish to even think that, just because you don't have that much issues, there are other people who do and would probably like to help other (maybe you too) as well.

Well I'd say a majority of conservatives do because they wanna go back to some 40s-50s post-war dream or 80s capitalism.

If anything they should make everyone be able to afford it if y'all refuses to make the money go for somewhat free healthcare (or less based on money nonetheless). Also I think I'd rather have one not too "complete" insurance so I can get something at least rather than being able to choose. Also, yes you do need government apparently to poke around since you seem very willing to be sick randomly as a freedom of choice thing? Also some examples of hospital bills people get are just... do people think everyone is billionaires and can pay it off in their lives?

Also if you think it's their own problem, you need to step up and be at least a wee bit more thinking about people and show solidarity. So you want them not to get any help from society/hospitals, or help them yourself so they can get proper treatment? But I guess it's kinda good to know where you stand, I guess. I just think it's really selfish to even think that, just because you don't have that much issues, there are other people who do and would probably like to help other (maybe you too) as well.

Well I'd say a majority of conservatives do because they wanna go back to some 40s-50s post-war dream or 80s capitalism.

80's capitalism, I don't see a problem. But 40's-50's post-war dream, would been better without racial discrimination or McCarthy's witch hunt. But if either of these are included, I wouldn't want to go back to the 50's.

Umm...it literally takes away funding for medical care and education so the rich people have more money in their pockets. My mom has four kids and gets $5000 a year to help take care of us. Now she won't get anything because the tax cuts are for the wealthy people who don't even need it in the first place.

80's capitalism, I don't see a problem. But 40's-50's post-war dream, would been better without racial discrimination or McCarthy's witch hunt. But if either of these are included, I wouldn't want to go back to the 50's.

Seems like you do actually, because you are very much right-wing and pretty much dismiss everything slightest "leftist" and would want it gone, unless I got your posts really wrong. And yeah people still get most leftist thoughts wrong and think they are even worse than right nazis anyway.. so.

Also racial discrimination and poor/rich discrimination is still around and we still have some ways to go before that will ever be equal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back