• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Hey Americans, whats your biggest complaint about our education system?

N e s s

Waiting for something to happen?
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
う
Holiday Candy Cane 2016
Red Feather
Father's Day Carnation
Cherry (Fruit)
Happy Home Designer Token
Orange Mote of Flame
Apple (Fruit)
January Birthstone (Garnet)
Small Mailbox
I'm asking so that I can gain several ideas for a speech i'm presenting next tuesday. If you could help, then that would be great!

When I mean "Education system", I mean in terms of late middle school, high school and even College.

Lunch.

OnclkvU.jpg

1QcWttb.jpg

bwbZUyl.jpg

vMsdjE1.jpg

I also don't like the grading scale.

90+ - A+, A, A-
80-89 - B+, B, B-
70-79 - C+, C, C-
60-69 - D+, D, D-
59 and under - F

It's too general. Schools just expect all students to adhere to certain regulation and rules, and they don't seem to care about students individual needs.

Also, 7 hours a day, seven days a week. That's the purest form of torture.

Lunch.

Two weeks ago, my friend had bought a sandwich, and when she went to eat it, she realized it wasn't even cooked all the way. My other friend told her to go and tell them it's raw so she could get free lunch but she decided not to because she was scared lol...

I'm pretty sure you can sue if you end up getting sick by school foods especially if it's raw? This is why I only eat the snacks lol

I am going to have to say that especially here in the South, I have to second the point about lack of funding. I have lived in two Southern states, Mississippi and Alabama, and the education in these states sucks.

Localized funding for public schools is a direct cause for poor inner cities & helps perpetuate the cycle of poverty.

Last edited:
Literally teaching nothing about "life." At least not anymore, my mom says in her school days they had home-ec and stuff like that, and they were taught how to do things everyone SHOULD know how to do, like cooking basic foods, balancing a check book, sewing on a button or fixing a tear in clothes, and resume writing.

I think we really need to be taught about credit and taxes and stuff like that as well, because at 18 we just get tossed out into the wild world and are basically just slammed with "adult-ing" and have to find our way in the dark. Thankfully most of us have parents that will help us through the first year or so to get us going, but not everyone is so lucky. I don't know how many people fresh out of school get targeted for credit cards and fall for it and end up in debt, as if college debt wasn't enough...

- - - Post Merge - - -

It's too general. Schools just expect all students to adhere to certain regulation and rules, and they don't seem to care about students individual needs.

Also, 7 hours a day, seven days a week. That's the purest form of torture.

Seven days a week? Unless you're talking about the time it takes to do homework that's not right... you have weekends, but I mean, that's a normal work week so... it's basically prepping you for that. But I 100% understand the not helping people with needs, I had a friend who was really depressed during school(I mean I was too, don't get me started) but she would just stay home because she was depressed, and then stay home on days where she had to care for her g-ma and ended up almost being kicked out of school for her absences. Thankfully she was able to make up for it in summer camp and doing online classes the next year, but I mean anybody with any kind of illness can easily fail out, even if they're super smart because they don't have options to make up for the work they missed unless it's a project or something usually... just dumb really.

Can I list several things?

Lack of funding
Standardized testing
Teacher's get paid poorly, therefore there are many under performing teachers
College is too damn expensive

- - - Post Merge - - -

Literally teaching nothing about "life."

YES THIS. I was not taught any basic life skills at all. Memorizing state capitals is apparently more useful than knowing how credit cards work, memorizing obscure history dates matter more than things like mortgages, etc.
Apparently knowing the parts of a cell makes me more intelligent yet knowing the important parts of life does not. Funny.

How tax money gets concentrated in rich suburban areas and inner city schools suffer. The solution isnt rocket science.

grading scale sucks. compared to other countries it's horribly strict. i mean, look at america's, and then look at the grading scales of canada. i hate it. i'd say it's one of the biggest flaws.

then funding is skewed. money goes to the better schools, while poorer schools continue to get less attention (therefore the education isn't as good, and as mozzarellesticks said, keeps the cycle of poverty going). then within the schools, money goes to sports first, then trickles down to subjects by priority, then hits the arts dead last with the pocket change it seems.

teachers get paid poorly. you have to be a college professor to get a good salary and that takes extra education.

testing sucks.

so many required classes that have no use for the students. instead of throwing us in AP Calculus or AP Physics or whatever bull**** most kids would rather die than be in (including me), how about a financing class? Teach us how to do taxes, open a bank account, plan out our future, how to create a resume. Teach us what the heck a mortgage is.

required community service actually kills me. i need to be WORKING. i need to be saving for COLLEGE!

Last edited:
As far as middle and high school is concerned, it's insultingly easy and incredibly boring at the same time. A lot of teachers don't care about their jobs and are happy to assign busywork so they don't actually have to teach. The standardized tests are also too easy.

As far as higher education goes, it's too expensive thanks to government involvement, and again a lot of teachers don't value their jobs and don't try as hard as they should.

Last edited:
the incredibly low standards we set

- - - Post Merge - - -

also i saw some people saying that classes should be teaching life skills but i feel that in this day and age especially it's easy to ask someone you know or just go online and ask for help on a forum or something. they also have a bunch of tutorials. if i were forced to take a class for easy things that take 2 seconds to learn and dont really need a class, i would be upset because as it is already i dont have time to take all the classes i want to take because of OTHER useless classes.

- - - Post Merge - - -

and another one, at university level sports departments are actually allowed to dip into other departments' funds if they run out. which they usually do ROFL. not to mention we students attending the institution have to pay fees for, yeah, ...sports

Last edited:
the fact that, as an adult, I don't know how to do the things that I absolutely should know how to do for example taxes how to cook for myself and basic life preperation. Its embarrising on a daily basis that I dont know how to functin as a proper member of society

- - - Post Merge - - -

to this day I still don't know the difference between a debit and credit card

like what xSuperMario64x said, too general. They want kids to be only one thing and as a side effect, it sucks the creative intelligence from their youthful minds. I watched a TedTalk vid about it.

Also, the lunches, and the fact that they don't teach you how to do your taxes unless you're taking some kind of business or economically oriented class.

Yeah.....

Honestly, a large part of pre-college education feels like it's essentially daycare for kids and teens.

Back