• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Hey Americans, whats your biggest complaint about our education system?

to this day I still don't know the difference between a debit and credit card

a debit card takes money out of your account balance directly..credit is basically bill me later so ur not losing money til you pay your credit card bill. if this was a joke then sorry lol

ps i have your avatar on a shirt

Last edited:
Honestly, a large part of pre-college education feels like it's essentially daycare for kids and teens.
Funny that you said that, I felt like Community College was the same for the most part lol I only had a few teachers that were actually good and wanted the students to learn. I guess it depends on the courses really.

Last edited:
my school day used to start at 7:20 am (thankfully they changed it last year) which meant that some kids had to get up at 5am or earlier just to make it on time, since some of them lived an hour away in clifton, and the busses always came at around 6am with many stops. mine came at 6:15, which meant if i wanted to take a shower, eat breakfast, etc. i would have to get up at around 4am, and i was only 12. It was terrible

- - - Post Merge - - -

also the teacher's pay is incredibly low. one of my old art teachers i was close to can barely afford food, and she's been there for 10 years.

a debit card takes money out of your account balance directly..credit is basically bill me later so ur not losing money til you pay your credit card bill. if this was a joke then sorry lol

ps i have your avatar on a shirt

Thank you for explaining that, no that's not a joke I think its really sad I found something I needed to know on a forum for a game about fishing catching bugs and talking to huminoid animals (also lmao this avatar is the best)

A lot of others have touched on it, but I'd like to re-emphasize our education system's attitude toward standardized testing. The US education system's main goal is to teach you to be good at tests that tell the US education system how good it is. Everything is centered around getting those test scores high. Schools that have good test scores get more money, so to get money, schools focus on the scores at the expense of teaching students literally anything else - home ec, accounting, sex ed/health, etc...

And, because this system isn't asinine enough, most of the things you get taught to prepare for the standardized tests are useless outside of a high school testing room. Many first-semester college students are forced to take classes specifically to un-learn bad habits from high school like the 5-paragraph essay structure, and about study skills beyond rote memorization.

It's often left up to individual teachers to decide if they want to go above and beyond, and teach their students in a way that benefits them later in life. However, as it's been pointed out, teachers are underpaid so many of them choose to not take this approach, and instead just pass out quizzes and homework that are just generic 'match the term to the correct definition' or 'multiple choice' formats.

I feel like the system should be centered around each student's way of learning. All the kids have to learn the same way, so a visual learner might go farther than an interactional learner, etc. Also they make you feel special so you continue, but in reality it's all really dumbed down. The kids in an "advanced" language art class don't even know how to spell common words :// I wake up at 6:30am just to be enslaved weeks upon end. My science teacher gives us 3000 worksheets and is insane if she thinks we can do that much work. It's just the second quarter, and we've done over 100 no joke
The system is so ****ed up, pls end my suffering :') Not only is the profession of teaching now passing out printed papers from behind your desk and not doing anything, none of this stuff is even useful

lack of funding, more pressure on getting good test scores than actually learning new information and using it in daily life, teachers lacking passion (at least at the school i went to. i had quite a few teachers that just didn't care, and one literally would just pass out pre-written notes and have a computer read to us while she sat there. it's impossible to learn that way.)

Back