• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Autism - You?

Diagnosed autistic? Believe it?

• Diagnosed but don't believe I have it!

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Diagnosed but do believe I have autism!

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • Never diagnosed. Don't believe I have it.

Votes: 63 67.0%
  • Never diagnosed. But believe I have it.

Votes: 10 10.6%

• Total voters
some autistic people even have a bunch more empathy than what's typical, i think that it's often more difficult for us to express it tho. idk lol

Yeah that too, we are not that expressive about it in small talk and such(talking for myself)...

My dad hasn't been diagnosed but very likely has it. I guess I have a few related tendencies but it doesn't have a major impact on my life so I don't worry about it.

Diagnosed at 21 thanks to my own research. Though it was blatantly obvious in early childhood. The burdens of being a girl in a time when girls were hardly diagnosed at all because of stereotypes...

- - - Post Merge - - -

some autistic people even have a bunch more empathy than what's typical, i think that it's often more difficult for us to express it tho. idk lol

I'm not good with words, but I will cry over anything bad that happens to somebody else, even if I don't know them. And I'll pretty much do anything to cheer people up. I have hyper empathy... but because I don't say why I'm crying (I find it hard to talk because I get overwhelmed) people just think I'm in a bad mood or being selfish? I'm not really sure why, maybe because my face looks a certain way? lol

Yeah, I never got diagnosed as a child because you "didn't do it" back then (mid-late 90s) but yeah most things were obvious and no I did not function well socially as they thought lol :/

Diagnosed at 21 thanks to my own research. Though it was blatantly obvious in early childhood. The burdens of being a girl in a time when girls were hardly diagnosed at all because of stereotypes...

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'm not good with words, but I will cry over anything bad that happens to somebody else, even if I don't know them. And I'll pretty much do anything to cheer people up. I have hyper empathy... but because I don't say why I'm crying (I find it hard to talk because I get overwhelmed) people just think I'm in a bad mood or being selfish? I'm not really sure why, maybe because my face looks a certain way? lol

yea h im sure i would have been diagnosed way earlier if i had been seen as a boy and if i hadnt been as non disruptive as i was. it was kinda obvious that i was autistic but because i wasnt a giant bother to teachers or anything no one really cared i guess lol, besides i think they thought it was offensive to suggest i might be autistic to my parents.
it sucks how people are afraid to suggest that someone might be autistic because it'll offend people, i'm sure i would have benefited from being diagnosed earlier and some people arent even diagnosed at all bc of it. autism isn't a horrible thing to be afraid of having but the way people treat it makes it seem like it's Horrible and a Curse.

I've never been diagnosed, but there's always been a lingering suspicion. I feel like some of the things I've dealt with can't just be explained by anxiety, and that even if I was desperate to be diagnosed (which I personally am not, more so curious as to whether it'd explain things), it wouldn't be taken seriously because I feel like I've "adapted" so to speak to how people expect me to act.

I’m weird. I don’t like it. I’ve been diagnosed with autism, OCD, ADHD, depression, general anxiety disorder, eating disorder, some form of PTSD, etc... by multiple times and multiple doctors. When I do something, I think it’s weird after the fact. I’m very self-hating to the points of affecting my organs and the things I do possibly being fatal. I honestly think death is a happy place.

I honestly think death is a happy place.
i do too, but i don't want it to happen too early. i'd rather experience life here and then hopefully move on to some sort of afterlife

- - - Post Merge - - -

but you might be talking about just being dead with no thoughts being peaceful, which i agree with too

back before i was diagnosed with anxiety my mom thought i had aspergers because my brother had been recently diagnosed, so i was falsely diagnosed with that somehow. i didn't know where my vote should go exactly because i was at once diagnosed but i'm not anymore.

but you might be talking about just being dead with no thoughts being peaceful, which i agree with too

Yea. No thoughts is peaceful. Especially with my thoughts.

I love it when I'm asleep though my dreams can be devastating.

Back