• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Autism - You?

Diagnosed autistic? Believe it?

• Diagnosed but don't believe I have it!

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Diagnosed but do believe I have autism!

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • Never diagnosed. Don't believe I have it.

Votes: 63 67.0%
  • Never diagnosed. But believe I have it.

Votes: 10 10.6%

• Total voters

Haskell

Saving for a username change KEK
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
0000-0000-0000
Have you been diagnosed with autism by (a) doctor(s)?

Do you personally believe you have it?

I choose "Diagnosed but do believe I have autism!" ...

EDIT: I know the "but" in some options should be "and."

EDIT: Self-diagnosis is fine if you researched it and didn't assume.​

Last edited:
I was diagnosed with aspergers about 6-7 years ago... along with a multitude of other issues...

And I know I have it. Aspergers causes people to have extreme social anxiety, especially with their peers, and that perfectly describes me. Also, those people tend to obsess over things they like, which I personally can't help doing. Everything I love, I love excessively...

Ik I'm a strange child, maybe that's why I haven't made any friends yet :p

I have Aspergers which is a mild form of autism and yes I was diagnosed by a doctor when I was 17. I also have Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder which i was diagnosed with at 11. It not easy living with these, that's for sure.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I was diagnosed with aspergers about 6-7 years ago... along with a multitude of other issues...

Aspergers causes people to have extreme social anxiety, especially with their peers, and that perfectly describes me. Also, those people tend to obsess over things they like, which I personally can't help doing. Everything I love, I love excessively...

This. I don't really do well with interacting with people. I mean I try to avoid crowds and stay in my room when there are a lot of people over. I mean now that I'm older it's not as bad but it's still there. You can tell right away there's something wrong with me if you talk to me in real life. Also, I do tend to obsess over things I like. Currently that like is anime and it has been for the last 3 years. XD

Nah. Never been diagnosed and probably don't have it. I do have a sibling with autism, so I know what it's like to some degree.

I have trouble interacting with people, but that has nothing to do with autism and everything to do with me being an introvert and having no social skills.

i have many traits associated with aspergers/autism, though i haven't been diagnosed. my psychiatrist said that i'd probably relate to a lot of the symptoms (and yeah i do lmfao) but we aren't gonna like, do any testing right away. even though i'd like to um KNOW for sure if i do. i mean i had selective mutism as a child and my psychiatrist is pretty certain i have sensory processing disorder and i have anxiety n depression and whatever other issues and like, idk! i don't want to say i have it unless i've been diagnosed but i fit in with it very well that i feel like i might at least mildly so..

I don't think so. I have severe anxiety issues and depression, but I don't relate to any symptoms of autism.

Never diagnosed with autism and I don't believe I have it, although I feel like I might have a slight learning disability due to my problems remembering how to do even simple math.

does not communicate with people at school at all, or at a very silent voice

aggressive and negative most of the time

extremely sensitive

hates loud noise

likes art, gaming

one odd thing my mom claims I did in kindergarten was that I always would turn off the lights, turn off the toys and close all the doors when the kids were done using them. probably some sort of OCD but unsure

also in kindergarten the teachers wanted me to be put in the special needs class but mom declined

always prefers to be alone, in silence

good in math, art, language

no friends irl and doesn't want any

interests are pretty much the opposite as the other girls (they like makeup, social media, slutty clothes, dating, drama, mature subjects; I'm opposite of all that)

ok I really do need temper control once I think about it

as sorta said above, likes things that are for younger ages

likes computers and gaming. interested in hacking.

trouble with communicating with strangers. not speaking in a clear voice, usually less eye contact, doesn't say hello back, quiet

lmk if u want more info

I can't like diagnose you but as someone who deals with things like this on a daily basis, I can say that things like your extreme social withdrawal, sensitivity to noise, aggressiveness, having vastly different interests than your peers, and social awkwardness can be signs of aspergers. Pretty much all of those things I just listed also pertain to me (except that I'm only very slightly aggressive at times). I think it would be best to get tested, because the earlier you learn about what you have and how to deal with it, the better it'll be for you later.

yes, i got my diagnosis a few days after i turned 16 haha. pretty sure they said i have atypical autism (because i dont have special interests apparently, which could be explained w/ my Eternal Depression but Yea h) but since it’s all being replaced with ASD it doesnt matter. I think it is way more accurate to explain the symptoms and difficulties you have instead of talking about being high functioning or having aspergers instead of Terrible Autism

i’ve Highly Suspected that im autistic since i was 11 and i pretty much accepted it when i was 14 even though i wasnt diagnosed yet. people get super pissed if you say you knew before you were diagnosed but they never do it because of Legit reasons, it’s always ”ummmm mY CoUSIn??? Is AuTIsmtic?? aNd hIs PARentS aRE liTeRALly PlanInIng To mURDeR hiM bECauSe He iS suCh a PaiN!!!!!!! yOU doNt Knwo ANYTHInG!!!!!” which is Uhhh interesting.

anyway i think my autism affects me a lot but i dont think it defines me as a person and i dont really relate to other autistic people that much, it’s a big spectrum and i have multiple other disorders that affect me a lot.
i went to an autism support group this spring and it was alright but i felt that i didnt fit in that well bc of my uhhh Mountain of mental illness. they were talking about problems in school, worries about the future, dreams and whatever and i Could Not Relate At All

- - - Post Merge - - -

@ uni no one on this forum can diagnose you. if you feel you might be autistic and would benefit from having a diagnosis you should contact a psychologist. im sure getting an evaluation is not as hopeless as you seem to think it is, it might be kind of like your school situation a while back lol
many people have autistic traits but it’s also about the intensity and w/e of the traits and that’s really hard for someone online to know about you

anyway it’s not super important to have a diagnosis unless you need help from school or something. reading about autism and learning about it can be enough. it sucks that peoplr will always b like ”umm... you dont know if youre autistic Leave -_-” if you want to ask for advice but other people suck and you know yourself better than snyone else And if you share autism symptoms but dont have autism you can still benefit from learning about it shdhfjds

I don't have diagnosed Autism or anything on the spectrum, but the last time I was diagnosed with anything was when I was like 14-15 years old. And back then I was diagnosed with some personality thing, depression, and ADHD. Because I didn't know what anxiety was I didn't know how to answer the questions regarding it but now I know I have severe anxiety as well, un-diagnosed.

I do feel like I might be on the spectrum, I mean not like really heavy autism or anything but I can see some tendencies I have that correlate. I've asked my sister and she says she doesn't really know, she works with children with autism and is becoming a behavioral analyst so maybe she'll be able to diagnose me someday. XD

i don't have it, but my twin has asperger's so i guess i've experienced it from another point of view

Yeah, I've been diagnosed with Asperger(part of the ASD), and while some situations show it more than others I don't let it be a too big part of me, and I try to overcome the basic difficulties when I can. I think most of my traits come from a bad childhood rather than Asperger/ASD only though. But yeah I try to tell people I have it though so they don't expect me to work like "everyone else" and so they can consider that if they want to approach me, because honestly some stuff are kinda stuck on you.

I'm glad I don't have the worst cases of it though (or more severe autism in general) cause I wouldn't want a routine-life stuck at home or stuff.

I don't have it but I have a disorder that coincides with it: schizotypal personality disorder. Both share very similar traits, and even some of the symptoms are the same.
People with autism are cool, though. They're usually really smart.

i was diagnosed in august 2016, and for a while i absolutely hated myself, thought "why me" **** like that. i guess it explains a lot of my quirks and shortcomings (and also perks) but still, the spectrum is waaaaaaaaaay too broad

no, i've never been diagnosed but i have a family member who has it, so i've experienced it firsthand that way

i dont have it but i have written multiple essays in college over it.

the thing about autism and other such untreatable disorders is that its really just you were born different than other people and it cant be "cured." i dont have autism, but i do have another "incurable" mental disorder (borderline personality disorder). i can relate a little bit, in the "you will always be atypical neurologically and theres nothing you can do about it" way. it's not in the same realm, but i can kind of understand the feelings of initial diagnosis. i felt like **** at first, but ive accepted now, especially since im doing a lot better currently. i realized it's just kind of how i am and to think about its symptoms like a part of anyone's personality and move on with my life.

Back