Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
There's a lot of them lol. For me its Mantine.
I thought it was man-tine
But no
Man-teen??????
What about you?

Arceus.
Are-see-us
Arc-ee-us
And tbh we still haven't decided.

I know this is weird but I had a japanese translated version of Pokemon Black growing up so the names were incorrect so it surprised me when I found out Tsuusa wasn't Snivy's actual name.

I know Japanese, so I tend to pronounce the English names the way it looks like it should be pronounced in Japanese. Typically when the Japanese name is the same as English (Arceus, as an example), the way I pronounce it is "correct" according to the Japanese. Japanese is very phonetic language, meaning that if you see something written in hiragana (like Pokemon names are), there is 100% no question on how to pronounce it.

Yet the official English pronunciation can still be different. The anime English dub and lots of English speaking Pokemon fans seem to pronounce Arceus as "ark-ee-us". Except, in Japanese, it's pronounced as "ar-say-us".

Edit: lol that Ayako brought up this too.

Last edited:
I thought Dragalge was drag-ah-ledge and then heard it in the anime as drag-al-gee. I also had no idea how to say Helioptile, but it sounds really stupid when it talks in the anime. Heel-ee-up-tile? lol

I thought Kyogre was Kooh-gray and not Kai-oh-grr. I'm not sure how I got that one.

I still have no idea how to say Decidueye. Good thing I nicknamed mine.

I thought Dragalge was drag-ah-ledge and then heard it in the anime as drag-al-gee. I also had no idea how to say Helioptile, but it sounds really stupid when it talks in the anime. Heel-ee-up-tile? lol

I thought Kyogre was Kooh-gray and not Kai-oh-grr. I'm not sure how I got that one.

I still have no idea how to say Decidueye. Good thing I nicknamed mine.

Helioptile makes sense if you break it down. Helio from "helios" and ptile from...well, extension of -tile.
So helio-tile, which could be said as hell-eo-tile or heel-eo-tile...or hell-ai-o-tile...damn it.

Took me a little while to say Blacephalon right. Bluh-seph-ah-lawn.

Decidueye is pronounced deh-sidge-you-eye. Kind of like "deciduous" but with -eye at the end.

Blacephalon is another one that makes sense if you know the words it is made of, in this case "bla" and "cephalon" (likely from Greek kephalos, meaning 'head'), thus bla-seff-a-lon. Knowing Latin and Greek roots helps but not necessary for some, and useless for others (like rayquaza).

Last edited:
I thought Dragalge was drag-ah-ledge and then heard it in the anime as drag-al-gee.
I’ve been saying dra-haggle lol I prefer to pronounce them my own way I guess. My pet peeve is when people get them spot on them correct others. “My favorite pokay-mon is ray-quay-za”. No fool your favorite Pok?mon is being pretentious

Rayquaza is not Ray-quay-za but Ray-quaza the first one sounds right but the 2nd one is literally me putting a hyphen between it...
Also Arceus? Are-key-us sounds laaaame Are-zeus ( or seus ) sounds better because Are-zeus has the Lord of Greek gods In the name

At least Kyogre sounds right....

Also stakataka is SO hard for me to pronounce

Rayquaza is not Ray-quay-za but Ray-quaza the first one sounds right but the 2nd one is literally me putting a hyphen between it...
Also Arceus? Are-key-us sounds laaaame Are-zeus ( or seus ) sounds better because Are-zeus has the Lord of Greek gods In the name

At least Kyogre sounds right....

Also stakataka is SO hard for me to pronounce

Stack attack a is so fun to say lmao, I wasn't expecting such a cool name from usum tbh

- - - Post Merge - - -

Helioptile makes sense if you break it down. Helio from "helios" and ptile from...well, extension of -tile.
So helio-tile, which could be said as hell-eo-tile or heel-eo-tile...or hell-ai-o-tile...damn it.

I just say Heel-ee-op-tile.
Op tile as in reptile.

As for decidueye I say Des-idd-you-eye

As in deciduous (trees) and eye

Last edited:
I pronounced Kyogre wrong for the longest time. And I currently pronounce Rayquaza "ray-QUAY-za" and Milotic "mil-AH-tic"- I'm not sure if those are correct, but I'm not budging on them. :)

I pronounced Kyogre wrong for the longest time. And I currently pronounce Rayquaza "ray-QUAY-za" and Milotic "mil-AH-tic"- I'm not sure if those are correct, but I'm not budging on them. :)

I prononced milotic as "my low tic" not as it's pronounced " my lot ick "

Milotic was and still is "mill-o-tic" for me.
I changed some of my pronunciations based on movie and anime, like rayquaza being "quay" instead of "kwah" and arceus being...well, I can't even remember what it was now.

Stakataka is a great one though. Is it really based on stack + attack?

I was never sure on gyarados though. I still say "gah-ra-dos" but many say "jir-a-dos" or "guy-ra-dos".

Last edited:
i was surprised at groudon's spelling i thought for the longest time it was gru-don instead of grow-don

Back