• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Amiibo: In or Out of the Box?

I've had a couple end up not working, so I've gotten into the habit of opening them and checking to see if they respond in the 3ds menu, while it is still possible to return it for a working one.

The figures are expensive af so I do want to use them when I can. All my 100 or so figures are unboxed

Ikr, dang EU countries lol.

But yeah my cards I keep in the albums I have the series 2 and 4 albums here but they contain random series and I'm not too serious in getting all the 3495 different ones lol

I don't understand why people would keep amiibos in the box. If they really like the look of them that much, they could make a display for the amiibos.

I keep the boxes though because a part of me is that weird collector that feels strange taking them out of the boxes.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I get my amiibo cards from eBay so most of them have a sleeve, which is nice.

Ahh I couldn't stand having amiibos in boxes, mostly because I don't associate with that impulse - to preserve something in mint condition. I like using things, and letting things get used up, and loving them all the more because of how battered they become. I obviously don't bruise things on purpose, and there's always that initial period where I treat newly bought things with special care, but that careful handling doesn't feel very comfortable. Like, you don't even know how slowly I would open my 3ds at the beginning, or how lovingly I petted my yoshi amiibo at first xD

Last edited:
My figures are always unboxed. I mean, I paid good money for those things so I am definitely going to use them!! I keep them on a shelf though and dust them every once in awhile. I handle them very carefully too. I'm currently fretting because I bought most of the Animal Crossing figures I was missing, but I have to travel all the way back to Hawaii after my visit and I have no idea how I will get them back safely. I think I'll put them all in my purse or something...

For my amiibo cards, I keep them in a card album and sleeve every single one. I also try very hard to keep away from white edges and if I ever use them I try not to bend the cards as much as I can.

I feel amiibo should be used, but due to their value should also be carefully handled.

Open the box, keep the precious amiibo on shelf; keep box angled behing amiibo on shelf. Simple really! That way easy access when you want to use it and it is being displayed nicely. Too bad I don't have any amiibo to do this with... oh well!

I've only bought ones I plan to use (most of those being AC amiibo), so I've taken them out of the box. Limited space prevents me from keeping the boxes.

Amiibo cards I've put in a binder.

I don't think my collection is terribly valuable, so I'd rather have the convenience of getting to them when I want.

I only have three amiibo, two of which are unboxed because I wanted to use them, and one still boxed because I imported it from Japan purely for collection purposes. I'm not too bothered about amiibo boxes, but for more expensive figures with nice decorative boxes, I definitely keep all of those. I think a good looking box is all part of the excitement with collectibles, but amiibo boxes are all the same so they don't hold much value to me.

Here's a few of mine.

Open 'em up, and jam 'em in the video cabinet. :D

NhJATs5_d.jpg

I got a Mabel amiibo figure last week, and I'm keeping her in the box. I feel like if I took her out of the box and threw her away, I would lose her or my sister would come and thing it's one of her toys -.- plus, I just don't have a nice place to display her lol

if it is something rare like wii fit trainer, leave it in the box

Back