How do you guys decorate?

Imnotcrazyhopefully

Nameless Bean
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Silver Mailbox
Ok, so I?m pretty new to Animal Crossing(only been playing for a few months), and I?ve decided it?s finally time to decorate my town. So, I?ve layed down paths and accumulated a decent amount of bush starts, hybrids, and saplings to decorate my town with. There?s only one problem. I SUCK AT DECORATING! So, I thought I?d ask the experts? What kinds of things to you guys do to decorate? What are some tips and tricks? I?d love to see some pictures of your guys? towns too!! :)

im horrible at it ahaha but one thing you can do is pick up mushrooms (from around special stumps) and drop them in different places to decorate. you could also let clovers grow/get lucky clovers and place them on the ground to decorate as well. a lot of people also use qr's to decorate, like random stepping stone ones, water designs, etc. but it mostly depends on what sorta vibe you want in your town!

I suggest find a theme, it can help a lot with figuring out the rest of your town since youll have an idea of what you want to aim for! Even if it's just as simple as "fantasy", it'll better help give you an image in your head and so it can narrow your search for QR paths. And down the line you may find a more specific theme or goal as your town develops and you get more ideas! :0

Also find dream addresses that use a similar theme for inspiration! Here's a good thread with some: http://www.belltreeforums.com/showthread.php?430410-The-BEST-non-hacked-dream-towns
You could also try your hand at having Luna pick a random dream town for you in the dream suite, just a bit of fun and you never know what you'll come across! (itll help get those dream badges too)

Just generally whatever you want to go for and don't be afraid to go with your gut! Sometimes improvising and letting nature take it's course could lend a huge hand. experiment a lot! Especially with paths.
Someone on here mentioned they were making paths based on where random flowers were growing.

Take it easy and take your time too :>

I'm personally making a tourist spot about cryptids! It's a little mix of natural and a little modern with wooden plank paths with some stone to accent it.

Last edited:
For my main town, I went with a forest-y type with a rock path qr code, trees and holly starts outlining it, mushrooms spread around town and white cosmos, tulips and lilies. Even my house has is a dark wood theme :blush:

For my second town, I went with natural city pastel pink and a bit of blue pastel look. I have pink EVERYTHING lmao. My paths are pink, I have pink bushes, tons of peach trees, a pink house and i try to get villager's house to fit with my theme. I put tons of effort into my towns, as you can see. I just try to stick to one or two themes at most and work with it from there ( ? ∀ ` )

I really like laying down lots of paths and I'm a sucker for grid-like "street" layouts. I often use streetlight PWPs leading up to my plaza or any big cluster of houses/buildings. I also love making wide paths with bushes lined up in the middle of them. No matter what theme I try to go for, those are the little things I end up defaulting to.

tbkrEkG.jpg

djEsbxA.jpg

D0colta.jpg

cFymOey.jpg
I'm not a landscaping/decorating expert but I like to find unusual QR codes that fit the theme of my town.I have an all duck town so I tried some water paths and a Halloween themed town that I found some decent paths for.Generally,I think flowers that are arranged by color and type look better than groups of multicolored flowers.I try to plant and arrange trees so that they don't block the view of PWPs and houses.PWPs are important to the look of a town and it's hard to wait for your villagers to request the ones you want but that's one of the quirks of the game.Also,don't be afraid to try something different.If you don't like it you can always change it.Cryptade offered some great advice....I'd definitely check out some dream addresses.Here's a link to the Official Dream Address thread:
http://www.belltreeforums.com/showthread.php?397171-Official-Dream-Address-Thread-%26%239790%3B-V-2

i’m no expert (i’ve become fed up with my town numerous times) but i’ve started to lay out a town map by a few acres at a time. it helps stay organized and i can focus on individual things. i go into the acres and lay trees, or design a theme for that acre. for example, a foresty area in one area and a path going down the next... followed by maybe a park type area.

i try to be unique. my paths consist of clovers and stepping stones. i have random nothings around (mushrooms of different types) and i use cedar trees instead of specifically fruit because it adds to my town. my town tune is a tune i came up with on piano. my flowers consist of darker colors with a few pops of bright hybrids. my bushes are sweet olive bushes which aren’t too attention grabbing, which i like.

in my home, i go for a home look! bathroom, kitchen, bedroom, basement consisting of the rococo set, upstairs currently is empty. back room is the sloppy set. super easy to come along these items with the RVs because they have so much of a variety of food.

use what you want, though! just go with the flow :) i usually do that haha. just, ya know, wing it.. :)

for my town, I like to focus on one area at a time and use a specific(-ish) colour scheme for flowers and stuff. personally i'm a huge fan of natural forest-themed towns :D

Attachments

• cryptid 3.jpg
    cryptid 3.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 84
  • cryptid 2.jpg
    cryptid 2.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 81
  • cryptid 1.jpg
    cryptid 1.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
I'm horrible at it too. My main town is 3 years old this Christmas and it still looks like ****. I can't tell you the amount of times I've placed paths, PWPs and flowers only to rip everything up a few weeks later and redo it. For example, I've redone the land in front of my house with different PWPs, path layouts, flowers, trees and bushes combos, about 10 times in the past two months. (If only I paid this much attention to sorting out my real life...)

In short, it'll take a long long while before you find a style you're happy with. But here are my tips.

1. Do your research. Have a look a some pictures on google or visit other people's towns via the dream suite if you have it unlocked. Think about what you like and dislike about the towns. This will help you form an idea of what you would like to include in your town and how you'd like you're town to look.

2. Brainstorm. Have a look at all the possible PWP's that you think you'd like in your town and then have a wonder around the town and see if any places in your town stick out as a possible location for a particular PWP. For example, I always knew from the very start where I wanted the caf? and the fact that I wanted two benches in front of it. I find it easier to develop set sections of my town because then it's easier to almost just connect the dots.

3. Symmetry is life! Believe me, stuff just looks better when is mirrored. If you're going to have a street light to the right of your flower clock, be sure to stick one on the left too!

4. Patterns patterns patterns. Please don't be one of those people who chuck all types of colours and species of flowers together to created one giant field of nausea and eye pain. Plan your flowers and work to repetitive patterns. Orange Lilly, pink cosmos, orange Lilly pink cosmos, orange Lilly ....

Like is said, you'll most likely develop and redevelop areas of your town multiple times before you're even half happy with it. But keep going, you'll get there ;)

Last edited:
I don't use QR codes for paths and I have only a couple of PWPs built, so compared to many pictured here (which look amazing, BTW), my town probably looks simple by comparison, but it suits my style. I have a lot of forest area, little "neighborhoods" with groups of villagers, mostly marked out by the type of bushes planted, and some open area to keep things from getting too closed in. I've tried to tuck a bench or stump here and there, where you can find a hidden spot to sit and enjoy things, too.

It's fun to visit dream towns that are much more elaborate than mine, and I marvel at the ways people decorate, but as far as my town, where I play each day, I enjoy the simple design. It's just a matter of finding what you like and running with it. And if you don't like something, you can always get rid of things (well, most, as there are some PWPs that cannot be demolished) and start over.

And if you don't like something, you can always get rid of things (well, most, as there are some PWPs that cannot be demolished) and start over.

This is so true! I am currently thinking of redoing my town as I am not happy with parts of it anymore and I always struggle to make the decision to demolish something.

Thanks you guys!!! This really helps a lot and totally inspired me! Your guys? towns look so amazing! And thank you for the helpful advice. It helps a lot!

You can always visit some Dream Towns to get ideas. Although my town doesn't have one, a theme for your town is a great idea.

it depends on the theme of your town, i think. if you're going for a more natural or forest type theme id suggest having a thin dirt path or one with a mix of stepping stones and clovers, which is what i have. use lots of mushrooms, bushes, stumps, and more natural pwps like the log bench and stone tablet. try to make everything look random and unorganized like a forest. if you want a more urban theme, use wide paths that look like a street, sidewalk, or just tiles. use public works projects like the modern streetlight, stoplight, and modern town hall. try having symmetrical areas and patterns. i'll add some pictures of my town later

I don't use QR codes for paths and I have only a couple of PWPs built, so compared to many pictured here (which look amazing, BTW), my town probably looks simple by comparison, but it suits my style. I have a lot of forest area, little "neighborhoods" with groups of villagers, mostly marked out by the type of bushes planted, and some open area to keep things from getting too closed in. I've tried to tuck a bench or stump here and there, where you can find a hidden spot to sit and enjoy things, too.

It's fun to visit dream towns that are much more elaborate than mine, and I marvel at the ways people decorate, but as far as my town, where I play each day, I enjoy the simple design. It's just a matter of finding what you like and running with it. And if you don't like something, you can always get rid of things (well, most, as there are some PWPs that cannot be demolished) and start over.

Sounds amazing to me!
I have natural dirt paths, lots of bushes, trees etc.
Love it.

Back