• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oooh, hopefully! I'm trying to figure out how to digitally colour it, but I haven't found the time yet...

You could always line it digitally and then color it.
OR do some transparency color picker (I know there are some out there) to take away the paper.

Super cute though!!!!

Ooo they look adorable!
As for digitally....I've started using MediBang on my phone, with some shifty thick pen idk lol. At least I did my avi with that ^^
I'd also love to do an art trade one time...

Last edited:
oh yeah, also, if you need a free-to-use digital program to draw on, i use Krita
it's free and open-sourced, so you can download different brushes (i reccommend david revoy)
but the bruhes they have on-hand are pretty great, i rarely delve into revoy's brushes, despite how fabulous they are

omgg I love the name of this thread it sounds so squishy and cute
but yeah these look super adorable and creative, can't wait to see more stuff from you <33

That looks good! and for coloring, use layers below the lines and color. if that's what you were asking??

ooh i can help you out a little with sai & digital art in general if that's okay? c:

drawing tablets

generally, lining your art and colouring it in is far less time consuming with a drawing tablet, so if you end up getting a bit more interested in digital art i'd consider investing in one of those; wacom bamboo ones are great and not too expensive compared to what you might be forced to pay for others. (for reference, i use a wacom bamboo ctl-470, which is pretty basic but still works very well. however, i understand they can cost a fortune, so you probably won't feel the need to get one for now, but i thought i'd say a little on the topic just in case.

about layers

messing around with layers in sai is actually pretty simple. below, i labelled the top 3 functions you'll want to use:
1sft00.png
as you can see, with those 3 buttons, you can create new layers, merge a layer with the one below, and remove layers completely. to move the arrangement of layers (i.e. whether layer x is above or below layer y), you just drag and drop them within the mini box beneath the buttons.

i hope this helped a little bit!

ooh i can help you out a little with sai & digital art in general if that's okay? c:

drawing tablets

generally, lining your art and colouring it in is far less time consuming with a drawing tablet, so if you end up getting a bit more interested in digital art i'd consider investing in one of those; wacom bamboo ones are great and not too expensive compared to what you might be forced to pay for others. (for reference, i use a wacom bamboo ctl-470, which is pretty basic but still works very well. however, i understand they can cost a fortune, so you probably won't feel the need to get one for now, but i thought i'd say a little on the topic just in case.

about layers

messing around with layers in sai is actually pretty simple. below, i labelled the top 3 functions you'll want to use:
1sft00.png
as you can see, with those 3 buttons, you can create new layers, merge a layer with the one below, and remove layers completely. to move the arrangement of layers (i.e. whether layer x is above or below layer y), you just drag and drop them within the mini box beneath the buttons.

i hope this helped a little bit!

thanks. i probably won't ever be able to get a drawing tablet in this situation so i'll just have to spend hours on the laptop :(

ok, so what's happening is that I was working on filling the colours in a while ago, and I saved my work to work on it another time (which is now). It made me save a JPG file, and a layer file that has my linework I believe.

so i open up the "layer" file, assuming it will let me continue to colour. the options were still the same as last time, but it didnt let me colour like it did before (filled the whole page with the same colour). then i tried the "JPG" file, and same thing happened!

so i went back to the tutorial, and it showed again how i need both the linework layer AND the normal layer in sai at the same time so i can colour.

but how am i supposed to open both at the same time? help?

video used (at 3:46), and i am colouring this on a computer, no tablet.

thanks if you can help me!!! i really need urgent help, there is a deadline for this :(

Hello, sorry I don't think I understand your dilemma entirely but if you mean using the paint bucket tool and it covers the whole screen instead of the area you want to color (like, a jacket or the hair), you should try to click on your linework layer, select the "Selection Source" option in the little area above where it shows your opacity, effects, etc. Make a new layer underneath for your coloring and use your bucket tool. I only save my work as .Sai while I'm still working on it and then I save to PNG after I'm done -- I end up with two files (.sai and .png) in case I want to work back on it later/make any edits.

I also use a tablet and not a mouse so I'm not too sure if this is a problem exclusively for mouse users but I hope I helped in any way, sorry I didn't understand it correctly ><

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back