• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Any tips for starting out?

Keera

Solar Sailer
Bells
Winter Mittens
Hi! I haven't played much of New Leaf apart from about 3 years ago. I didn't end up doing much. I'm just about to start my first play through and I just wondered if anyone had some tips for starting out?

tip number one: don't worry about having a town that looks like other cool towns, just make it your own - if you dont want to bother with paths, dont do it, if you want to mix themes, do it - play the game for yourself only, it really makes it more casual and enjoyable ^^ comparing it to those beautiful (and usually hacked haha) dream address towns is really discouraging ><

like what mayork said. do what you want to do, and don't get too caught up in what other people are doing. those are their games, and this one is yours. make your town what you want it to be and don't be discouraged by some other towns (believe me, i do too)

also, when you first start up and you need a bunch of bells but dont have them, it can be really frustrating. when you get the island, go on after 7 pm and catch the beetles on the palm trees to sell, since they're worth a lot. if you're up for it, you can also dig up the bushes and other trees in the center of the island so only the beetles spawn. though it may be tedious, you can earn a lot of bells this way.
(speaking of the island, steal flowers and fruits from the island tours to take back to your town)
in the meantime, shake trees for the chance of random furniture or bells, sell fruit, and catch bugs/fish to sell.
i also suggest starting your town with the wealthy town ordinance if you're trying to get lots of money, then moving to beautiful town once you're more financially stable and get tired of watering flowers.

also if you're impatient, you can hop on the re-tail forum and buy/sell items and even ingame bells, or snag a few things from someone's giveaway.

Thanks guys! I started with Ricky, Snake, Punchy, Vesta & Wendy. I'm excited for this playthrough.

Unfortunately I don't have much tips to share however, best wishes to your play-through!

another tip- don't be afraid to take it slow, and don't take it too seriously! i see so many people on these forums tearing themselves apart bc one little thing went weird (a pwp couldn't be placed where they wanted it to be, a villager wouldn't plot in the right place, they keep getting normal saplings instead of cedars in leif's store or something, etc. w/ other minor problems), and i think in order to have the most fun with this game is to not sweat the small stuff.

sure, there might be setbacks and you might have to restructure some parts of town and wait longer for things to happen, but isn't the saying "slow and steady wins the race?" the game is supposed to kind of simulate real life (albeit w/ cute animal villagers who love you unconditionally) with its choices and trial-and-error game play, and i think it's really nice to savor that philosophy and just take things slowly and patiently.

i hope you have a lovely time in this new town!!

Try thinking about how you want your town to look before placing PWPs. A lot of people regret placing undemolishable PWPs (Cafe, campsite, etc) in places they hate. Get a good idea before putting them.

Collect bells. You can catch rare palm-tree bugs at the island past 7pm, or you can buy bells from users here. Probably better to try to earn them yourself for a more interesting experience, but if you urgently need them then there's always people to help!

Collect lots of furniture and clothes, and sell them here for IGB (in-game bells) or TBT (bells on this forum; shown below your avatar/profile pic). Both are useful to get rare items here, however TBT is usually more preferred.

Try thinking of what villagers you want in your town. As well as setting a theme (or no theme, that's fine too), some goals, good friendships with your villagers and plans to improve your town little by little.

You can try looking at dream towns for ideas, however they will probably make you jealous or upset at your own town. If you're sure you're fine looking at other towns for more ideas, then do so.

But best of all, have fun! Don't rush anything, play freely and to your liking :)

Thanks guys! I started with Ricky, Snake, Punchy, Vesta & Wendy. I'm excited for this playthrough.

Vesta and Wendy? Lucky girl! Love those two sheep!

Also, when I catch fossils and fish, should I prioritize giving them to the museum or should I sell them?

That's really up to you. Personally I would donate them so you wouldn't have to worry about it later.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Last edited:
Also, when I catch fossils and fish, should I prioritize giving them to the museum or should I sell them?

I always donate them. It's useful to put them in the museum first because when you catch a type of fish for the first time, it will say "I wonder what my encyclopedia says about my new catch...", letting you know. This reminds me that it's not in my museum yet, and I give it to Blathers promptly.

It is up to you though! You'd only be sacrificing one fish and make bells off all after that :blush:

I think it's better to give them to the museum, because you can get bells in other ways (like the 7pm island bug catching).

Especially if it's a fossil or bug/fish the museum doesn't have, you might not get it again and would have to spend hours to find another.

its easier to fill up the museum when you donate new fish/bugs immediately because you get that encyclopedia ping (so you dont have to check in the musem whether you already donated something or not bc the game tells you that you found something new)... but honestly, some people dont bother with museum and just sell them. though fish dont really sell for a lot of bells, except for sharks ^^ its completly up to you, if you want to complete the museum - donate, but if youd like to earn money from that, its fine too. just remember that you need 20 items in the museum including at least one from each category to be able to unlock the PWP for museum store/rooms, and later on the coffee shop ^^

another tip: if you dont want you villagersto move in a certain spot and your game is updated to welcome amiibo, lay down random patterns on the ground, since that stops villagers from plotting there. i was lucky with my villagers plotting next to each other in a line, but laer when i found out that this trick was legit i put down a loot of random squares where i wanted to have free space and so far no one new plotted there ^^

Last edited:
Hmmm...
I just recently re-started mine (about a month ago)
Think of some ideal villagers you wanna start with. It's okay to restart if your starting villagers aren't what you want!
Take things slow, no need to make bells asap or fill up the museum instantly.
That's all I got, hope this helps somewhat.

Back