• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Nintendo Switch's first Christmas

Piezahummy

Ravioli Monster ♥
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
New Leaf Token
Isabelle
Poptart Easter Egg
Holiday Candy Cane 2016
Winter Mittens
Jack
Jingle Christmas Doll
Kapp'n Christmas Doll
Timmy Christmas Doll
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
So this is a new TV ad for the Switch in France, and it features some of the best games that are available on it.
There is also a drawing of a Christmas Tree with many nintendo 'decorations' for the games out on the system:
a little Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2
Cappy: Super Mario Oddysey
The 'Z' from the Zelda: Breath of the wild.
Mario in a kart: Mario kart 8 deluxe
TH eguys from snipperclips: Snipperclips
The squid: Splatoon
The star power-up: Mario
The arm from 'ARMS': ARMS

And at the top, there is the leaf from AC:NL.
All of the decorations in the tree where from games already released on the switch, except for the leaf. No Metroid, No Pokemon, No Kirby...
I'm not saying we're getting a game in 2018, but we're getting one.

- - - Post Merge - - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YotabWgSESg
Forgot the link

And at the top, there is the leaf from AC:NL.
All of the decorations in the tree where from games already released on the switch, except for the leaf. No Metroid, No Pokemon, No Kirby...
I'm not saying we're getting a game in 2018, but we're getting one.

Animal Crossing Switch confirmed for Christmas 2017!!!11!

Seriously though, it's quite interesting that they chose to put the leaf icon in the tree.

Probably not getting a Switch for a multitude of reasons, but well it's kinda predictable in some ways they would put random stuff there, it's not like they are gonna make another full AC game for 3ds at this point...

Oh well how about gifting us free multiplayer instead (like, yeah one more good reason to not get a Switch if you have to pay for online **** man next year...)

I prefer the DS versions of the games over the console, but will probably end up getting it anyway. We're getting a Switch for my daughter this year for Christmas. Downside is when I'll be able to steal it from her lol. One of the many reasons why I prefer handhelds.

Yeah I prefer handhelds so much more, even PC at this points beats having a clunky battery draining thing man. (Don't forget power-save mode guys!)

And switches are overpriced af here anyways.

I cant believe all the hate on the switch, lol *playing hers right now* I love my ds but the switch is just as fun if people would give it a chance and the paid membership thing is 20bucks a year oh yeah super costly compared to other gaming services or site memberships.

I for one and hyped for possible animal crossing coming to the switch!

the comercial looks good <3.
also , i dont think the leaf icon means anything , even through its interesenting of why its there.

Thank you so much for posting this! I was hoping for a Spring 18 release all the time, but thought it was somewhat unlikely considering how many AAA titles are already on the system - until I saw this. Maybe they really do release it within this fiscal year (which ends in April, I think). It‘d be an amazing (albeit late) christmas present :D

Last edited:
I cant believe all the hate on the switch, lol *playing hers right now* I love my ds but the switch is just as fun if people would give it a chance and the paid membership thing is 20bucks a year oh yeah super costly compared to other gaming services or site memberships.

I for one and hyped for possible animal crossing coming to the switch!

I'm against the dumb money-grab called "pay for even going online and play" when you buy the console, game, and also already pay for the internet. Kinda hypocrite in those Net Neutrality days... And while it may not be that costy those random sub fees are just dumb.

I gave the ad a watch, and I thought the presentation was pleasant. Those quickfire showcases made a good job on succinctly describing its games worth slipping under a Christmas tree.

The fact that they thrown an icon representative of the Animal Crossing franchise made it clear it's one of the company's blockbusters. Even though its Switch game isn't announced at all, it might as well be likely to happen, given on how insanely popular the Switch is.

[...]

Oh well how about gifting us free multiplayer instead (like, yeah one more good reason to not get a Switch if you have to pay for online **** man next year...)

As in, local multiplayer? You'd be wrong in that case, since they include two different Joy-Cons for every Switch console. Each Joy-Con can act as an entirely functional controller, allowing for two players fun right out of the box.

As for paid online multiplayer, a yearly subscription to Nintendo Switch Online will be about 1/3 of the price of a PlayStation Plus/Xbox Live Gold membership. If you can afford a Switch, then coughing up $30 USD a year is chump change, even for a seemingly scummy business practice. By opting for the service, you'll also gain access to a library of select NES games (with SNES coming as well at a later date) with online functionalities added and benefit from exclusive discounts.

Yeah I prefer handhelds so much more, even PC at this points beats having a clunky battery draining thing man. (Don't forget power-save mode guys!)

And switches are overpriced af here anyways.

If you can handle the equally short battery life of any 3DS model, then I'm sure you'll be fine with Switch. I mean, you could get between 2 and 5.5 hours of gaming out of the device already, depending on how resource-hungry the game is. And that's with max brightness and every wireless function activated. By doing the opposite way, you could expect a playtime of anywhere between 3 and 8 hours. And if you do almost run out of battery juice and you're close to home, you could plop the portable unit in its dock and you continue playing with the TV, or even just plug the AC adapter in the device and play while recharging.

It's worth mentioning that Switch is being sold as console first, handheld second. And of course, the price ends up being about what you'd expect for an average modern premium home console. Here, you'll pay not just to play games, but also for a more consistent high quality experience that's way easier to set up and cost significantly less than pretty much any gaming-dedicated PC hardware.

I'm against the dumb money-grab called "pay for even going online and play" when you buy the console, game, and also already pay for the internet. Kinda hypocrite in those Net Neutrality days... And while it may not be that costy those random sub fees are just dumb.

I guess you'll be stopping buying the cutting-edge gaming consoles and be stuck with PC and Smartphone gaming for the rest of your life, because the inconsequential inconvenient mainstream business practice don't seem to be going anywhere.

OK, I might have exaggerated a bit here, but do you seriously need to be able to play your games online in order to enjoy any given game? Given that there's plentiful of fun content in Switch's library that don't rely on Internet, not having any form online multiplayer is a small price to pay. Simply avoid games that are heavily centered on online capabilities and you're good to go.

My beef with the posts of yours in this thread is that they made you look like you're more intent on finding valid points against the hardware for the sake of not obtaining it, and less about taking your lifestyle into consideration. Those shortcomings that you mention are more like personal preferences to me at best and shouldn't hold much influence towards your decision. I'm not asking you buy a Switch, nor do I know anything about your play style, but I feel you hold some rather high expectations to the dedicated consoles.

Well yeah I don't have any of the newest PS/Xbox consoles either and will probably not get them as I'm not really into those niche Japanese games anymore (If such I'd just buy another Vita lol) so yeah that model is what irks me with those hooking up things.

Also how is that expectations? I just wish companies could be less capitalistic about the whole thing, it's not that people are gonna stop buying the consoles if they would allow free online connecting so to say. Sure there are probably plenty of good and free non-multiplayer (or at least don't rely on them as much) but if you wanna have "fun" you will probably have to pay for it either way for eg. Switch to be worth its price (it's already overpriced here for some random reason + electronics tax they added this year, so yeah unless I win or someone gifts me one randomly no way I will/can get one).

And so what if 3ds/phone games satisfy me, is that a bad thing? I have enough daily things to do with those anyway and a decent library to keep me occupied for now, plus I'm not as heavy into gaming as I used to be. And my 4+ year old gaming laptop suits me just fine for now, it's not that I play as much on Steam/Origins now to get me upgraded unless this one crashes. And I'm not looking a full-fledged entertainment high-processor somewhat TV-hooked up game console... never was too much into those. And yeah don't care too much for those retro titles, I'd bet I will have more fun buying them one-time on the 3ds VC or just physical consoles :]

Hah, unless you have play New 3ds exclusives or Gen 7 Pok?mon games on the 3ds it will do you as good (those do drain batteries, I can play USUM significantly shorter than say, New Leaf, HHD or anything less heavy/older).

All in all, I'm just against those dumb extra fees when you already pay for the console, internet, games etc. I mean it's like Hey, buy this switch but you need to pay $30 a year to be able to use the joy-cons because they have a sub-chip in them or something else, like.. come on.

As for paid online multiplayer, a yearly subscription to Nintendo Switch Online will be about 1/3 of the price of a PlayStation Plus/Xbox Live Gold membership. If you can afford a Switch, then coughing up $30 USD a year is chump change, even for a seemingly scummy business practice. By opting for the service, you'll also gain access to a library of select NES games (with SNES coming as well at a later date) with online functionalities added and benefit from exclusive discounts.

It's just another unnecessary fee. It's pretty bold coming from a company that has never been known for having very competent online infrastructures. I couldn't care less how many temporary NES and SNES games they throw in with the online service. I've played pretty much any NES/SNES title I've ever wanted enough times. That's a very weak idea for a benefit.

As for me, I'm getting a Switch for Christmas/Birthday. I do not currently have money to spend, so actually, I don't have money to cough up for the online service, nor am I going to ask my parents to do that. They've spent enough money on me.

All in all, I'm just against those dumb extra fees when you already pay for the console, internet, games etc. I mean it's like Hey, buy this switch but you need to pay $30 a year to be able to use the joy-cons because they have a sub-chip in them or something else, like.. come on.

It's just another unnecessary fee. It's pretty bold coming from a company that has never been known for having very competent online infrastructures. I couldn't care less how many temporary NES and SNES games they throw in with the online service. I've played pretty much any NES/SNES title I've ever wanted enough times. That's a very weak idea for a benefit.

$30 a year is way too much considering that the only game I ever play online is New Leaf. I just can't justify paying for a service that I'm not gonna use that much.

i actually really want a switch for christmas, and seeing the leaf gets me excited for possibly a new ac game :blush:
i'm not gonna get my hopes too high though due to the tragedy of the last nintendo direct

Last edited:
$30 a year is way too much considering that the only game I ever play online is New Leaf. I just can't justify paying for a service that I'm not gonna use that much.

Yeah, it's kind of the same for me, except it wouldn't just be Animal Crossing. It's just that games can't hold my attention for too long these days. I might play one game for a month (or even less) and then put it down, and there's no telling when another game will come out that I'm interested in. This is an even bigger problem with the Switch, because so few games of interest are coming out on it for me. Like for the future to my tastes there is a Pokemon game vaguely announced and that is literally it. There is nothing else coming out on the system that is of any interest to me. So much for that amazing lineup of upcoming first party titles that I keep hearing Switch fans brag about (I will not disregard the new Metroid, which is big for a lot of people... But when we add that up to the total that's two titles, still nothing super impressive).

Anyway, I went off on a big tangent there! My point is, especially with erratic game release schedules like this, I'm not going to be playing the system a whole lot. So justifying spending money for an online service that I'm not going to use the vast majority of the time is just wasting money.

It's going to be a sad day when that Pokemon game comes out and I can't play it online.

i actually really want a switch for christmas, and seeing the leaf gets me excited for possibly a new ac game :blush:
i'm not gonna get my hopes too high though due to the tragedy of the last nintendo direct
Last direct wasn't a flop ( if this is the general not the Only centered on ac-pc direct we're talking about ) asking for ac switch to be announced in it is totally unreasonable. Though the usum part was Underwhelming...

(Well this thread went completely off-topic but I'll jump in to this too) First off is that the online service is $20 USD a year. When JC said $30 I think he meant $30 CAD (which is a bit of a rip-off for them but I guess that's how it is). This then puts the online fee at $1.67 per month which is extremely cheap.
It's also impossible to judge if the payment is worth it as of right now. If Nintendo is smart they'll use that money to improve the quality of their servers (you have to admit that Ninty has some pretty bad servers where lag and disconnects happen much more frequently than they should be happening, but it's still pretty nice quality for a free service). Then again it's Nintendo and they could easily take that money and invest it into amiibos or something else unrelated while the online service remains pretty trashy. So it could end up being an excellent choice or a terrible choice with no in-between, the same as everything else Nintendo does.

So much for that amazing lineup of upcoming first party titles that I keep hearing Switch fans brag about .

There is a great lineup, you just always seem to have a negative opinion about the switch other than the two Nintendo games you actually give a toss about.

Last edited:
Back