• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Rare Bugs/Fish are SO hard to find

Jacob4

Pear 🍐
Persimmon 🍅
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
3544-6880-0804
Stardust Easter Egg
Stardust Easter Egg
I'm level 17 and have constantly been grinding fish&bugs and the best I have gotten is one Rainbow Trout and a few Miyama Stags. All other >100 bell selling price bugs/fish seem so difficult to find!! Anyone else the same?

Yeah I haven't found a lot of rare ones so far either. I do find the fishing and bug-catching much easier in this game, I guess due to the control limitations, so maybe that's why.

Oh that's interesting! Thanks for sharing it - the rarest I've found is a koi. Hopefully you have some better catches soon!

They’re definitely wayyyy harder to find, but the spawns are definitely higher at night.

Since I started playing a couple of days ago, I've only been able to find one rainbow trout, blowfish, and tuna. I wish the rare items were a little easier to find. Even in New Leaf the rarer fish and bugs are easier to get than in this game. I guess it isn't a big deal since you don't really don't need them, but I'm tired of running into the super common ones.

guess it's just luck, I too have only caught a rainbow trout, emperor butterfly, and jewel beetle (one of each, though I've caught a lot of the bugs/fish worth 100 bells), while my friend who started yesterday has already caught like 1 of every single rare fish including the tuna lmao

I've gotten a rainbow trout, a football fish, a koi and the jeweled beetle and an emperor butterfly. So I mean it's not super hard, it's just random. Obviously if they were easier to come by they wouldn't be worth as much.

Last edited:
I've gotten a rainbow trout, a football fish, a koi and the jeweled beetle and an emperor butterfly. So I mean it's not super hard, it's just random. Obviously if they were easier to come by they wouldn't be worth as much.

That's the point though, for how hard they are to find they aren't worth much at all

That's the point though, for how hard they are to find they aren't worth much at all

In comparison to the readily available fish and bugs they're worth a substantial amount more. They're just not worth much in general with how fast you spend bells in game, especially at a higher level.

I didn't even know the Football Fish existed lol.

Last edited:
Tbh I'm not even worried about catching rare fish, but I did happen to catch a tuna one day by chance. That was pretty cool.

Back