• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Do your interests "match" your age?

Spooky.

Lonely Heart
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Holiday Candy Cane 2021
Black Famous Mushroom
New Horizons Token
New Leaf Token
Isabelle
Mint
Blue Candy
Green Candy
Leif
Poptart Easter Egg
Meaning, do you like things that society deems you should like at your age?
Many things get labeled as 'for kids' or 'for adults' or 'the fandom is for teenagers' and if you don't fit into that age bracket you get picked on for it.

For example, I'll be 32 in a few days, and some of my favorite things are Pokemon, coloring, stuffed animals/cute things, K-pop (where the majority of the fan group are teens/pre-teens) and I tend to get picked on for liking these things at my age. Yet I feel like your interests are irrelevant to your age and you should like what you like as long as you're not harming anyone.

I've also heard of teenagers getting mocked for liking oldies music, for example, and not listening to whatever is popular on the radio.

What do you guys think about this? Do your interests "match" your age or do you think it's better to like what makes you happy?

Personally I think at the end of the day, we should like what makes us happy and not worry about target age groups. (Unless, of course, your interests are harmful).

Well I'm 25 and on a forum for Animal Crossing so

I don’t know. Maybe. I’m 23 on an Animal Crossing forum so maybe not.

I’ll be 21 soon, but I like to be on animal crossing and harvest moon forums and channel my inner 15 year old again so probably not.

Oh, of course they didn't.

When I was 10 I still liked My Little Pony. A lot. And people at that age already had phones and were swearing, it made me extremely embarrassed.

When I was 11 I was crazy for those kiddy games (club penguin etc.) which wasn't good either, I never told anyone I played those games because I knew everyone would call me a big baby.

I guess I'm still too childish right now. I've always been acting too childish for my age, according to fellow classmates and the media. Hopefully in reality it's actually fine to like that kind of stuff for those ages....

Last edited:
I don't talk about my interests in person with people I'm not close to because I think they'd probably find me immature. I don't even know what people expect me to be interested in at my age, but I enjoy what I want to anyway because trying to fit in is too exhausting and boring

I have pretty generic interests- video games, music and tv shows. So nah I don't think so

well i got bullied because of my music and gaming tastes and also get criticized by kids in school for not going out a lot because im much more comfortable in my own home, but other than that i'm just your average teenager

Oh heck to the no. I'm (undisclosed age) and I read the Washington Post and The NY Times every morning. I hate sports, I have OCD x10 and some other little things

I'm on the waning half of my kid interests. Pokemon was my **** growing up, but I am not buying Ultra Sun/Moon. Found a few new interests this year actually such as sk8ing. I'm 24

Last edited:
Nope. I'm a grandma at heart, stuck in a 25 year old body. Legit I spend my evenings and weekends knitting and crocheting. No desire to go out

24 and I love toys and stuffed animals and cartoons... so I meannnnnnn.

Also obviously I'm a fan of Animal Crossing, which is meant for kids.

im 17 and the closest thing i have to an interest is video games so i guess it matches my age hhhh

With my music and movie taste.. no. Considering I play games for a probably younger audience, nope.

So yeah I'm like both older and younger than my actual age lol

There's a handful of things I like that are probably targeted at 18-year-olds, like teen drama shows and stuff, but for the most part? I'm into 80s nostalgia stuff (which I'm primarily nostalgic for because I was raised by an 80s kid so stuff like 80s-era Strawberry Shortcake and Care Bears were always a part of my childhood even though I grew up in the 2000s) and then stuff for little kids (toys, dolls, cartoons). So not really.

I'm 25 and adore cute stuff, animal crossing, stuffed animals, video games, and some cartoons. I also love Disney.

Could you say my age doesn't match my interests? I suppose it just depends on you. Personally, I don't think you need to be interested in things deemed appropriate for your age.

A lot of "older" people would say a 25 year old "should" be interested in the news, drinking, parties, politics, and work work work. I don't think so. Grow older but don't grow up. Gain wisdom and maturity but don't push away what you're truly interested in. Bottom line is if it makes you happy and it doesn't hurt anyone else, then like what you like :)

It's nice to read everyone's responses, especially knowing that I'm not the only one doing their own thing and not necessarily 'matching' my age. (Though you're all making me feel so old right now ahah)

I'll certainly keep on liking what I like regardless of other's opinions.

Not really I guess. More girls my age or younger are into more "mature" stuff. I still love cartoons, plushies, 80s nostalgia and video games. My family and people who know me well poke fun at it with me but I'm okay with it because it's very close to my heart and makes me happy c:

Back