• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Net Neutrality General Discussion Thread - "Battle for the Net" Edition

I DON'T WANNA PAY MORE THAN I HAVE TO *sobs*
Jesus, this is horrible though.

While I'm not a part of the U.S, this concept still scares me to no end. All I do is online. The internet is one of the only things keeping me alive, to be quite honest. If America loses the Net Neutrality battle, it will more than likely impact the UK - and I don't know if I can deal with that. Whoever came up with the idea of repealing Net Neutrality is sick and twisted. Honestly, its basically a human right at this point. What they're tryping to do is straight up controlling and manipulating.

happy wednesday the internet dies tomorrow in america

This is going to seriously mess up my anime streaming. :(

Good thing I stocked up on a bunch of movies and tv shows so I'm cool. Survived without the internet before, I can do it again.

- - - Post Merge - - -

So how will this affect this site?

The owners will either have to pay more to be in the 'fast lane' or be slowed way down or blocked by some ISPs.

Last edited:
So how will this affect this site?

i'm not sure but if Jeremy isn't american then not much? but if he is then oho we're in some trouble

plus even if he isn't and doesn't have to pay more, a lot less members will be as active or might quit the site from being unable to pay to come here

i really need to stalk the staff profiles more often...

I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that it won't pass, I rely on the internet to talk to a long distance friend of mine. I'm hoping that maybe only some websites will be effected and others won't, and so we could just move to different social media if things go bad, but I'm really nervous.

I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that it won't pass, I rely on the internet to talk to a long distance friend of mine. I'm hoping that maybe only some websites will be effected and others won't, and so we could just move to different social media if things go bad, but I'm really nervous.

It has long been expected that the vote will fall along party lines, 3-2, with the Republican members being the ones voting in favor of the repeal of Net Neutrality. It remains to be seen until the actual vote tomorrow, but don't get your hopes up.

i am seriously so worried

i use the internet for school, communication, and for fun!

my family can't afford to pay internet if we lose it

SOOO: if we lose it tomorrow, just letting you guys know, i've had a lot of fun these past few years on tbt.

if we dont lose it, that's cool and really good

I don't understand though... lots of schools have switched to using laptops to make things easier (my school uses MacBooks) if we have to pay for certain websites how do they expect the schools to function? I mean yeah we can go back to paper and pencil but I've been using laptops for 3 years... I'd hate to go back to carrying a textbook around everyday and never having time to visit my locker...

regardless of what happens today i seriously doubt anything is going to change in the near future

That security recess/bomb scare was weird.

Jessica Rosenworcel said all I think needed to be said from our perspective. It's a shame nobody else seems to be even acknowledging her existence, however.

Welp the FCC decided to repeal Net Neutrality. :(
But we still have to wait for Congress to ultimately decide the fate of it.

uugghhhh i already called my congressman, looks like it's time to call the senators :/

- - - Post Merge - - -

Also it's important to point out:
this doesn't mean it's all over. it was expected they would pass it anyway. congress can still shut it down, so getting involved is more important now than ever.

Don't give up hope yet! Big companies like Netflix are prepared to fight for Net Neutrality as well as Congress are able to repeal the decision. I have faith in you my US buddies :)

Agreeing with what Sensai said: the FCC is going to be have their butts kicked with all the lawsuits.

Also, just because they voted doesn't mean NN has been put into effect: As far as I know of, they have to take this to Congress.

Yeah, they just voted to repeal it. Which isn't surprising since we already knew that was going to happen

You know is bugging me more than the repeal, is people all over the internet saying things like "I'm glad I don't live in America." Yeah America might be having major problems right now, but doesn't mean other countries aren't having their fair share of problems. America is and always will be a great country to live in, no matter who is trying to ruin the foundation of our country, there are always going to be people who are going to fight, and fight hard to make sure we stay great. Sorry, I digressed.

I have had faith since before this repeal vote, and I still have faith that this is FAR from over. It's not going to be as easy as the FCC is trying to make it out to be. Net Neutrality isn't going ANYWHERE and I still have faith in that.

Last edited:
Back