• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Net Neutrality General Discussion Thread - "Battle for the Net" Edition

I'm really, really disappointed about the whole thing. There are people who are out there dying to protect our freedom and this is supposed to be the "land of the free" but it's not that way anymore. This will be something where the internet becomes a luxury for the poor and middle class, and restricted to the rich. It's another punishment to people who have no money.

I can also imagine this hurting businesses, as I doubt free wifi hotspots will exist anymore when the businesses have to start paying more so that customers can use every website. A lot of coffee shops and book stores and such get more business due to wifi and the internet. Sales on sites like amazon will die out as people will just go to other places to shop so they don't pay as much for the internet.

None of these idiotic people in congress think about their actions, all they think about is greed and lining their pockets. I've always been ashamed of this country and it's just getting worse and worse. I hate Trump and I hate all these jerks who are bathing in gold bathtubs full of money while broke college students are wondering how they'll scrape up an extra $10 a month to pay for internet services to do their school work.

Just...UGH.

****ing stupid. correct me if i'm wrong about anything i say but it's the government who gets the final say, right? If the government is supposed to listen to and respect/represent the wishes of their people, and a laaaarge majority is saying a fat "NO" to losing their net neutrality, but the government votes "YES" and takes away net neutrality, it's not really a democracy, is it.

I'm really, really disappointed about the whole thing. There are people who are out there dying to protect our freedom and this is supposed to be the "land of the free" but it's not that way anymore. This will be something where the internet becomes a luxury for the poor and middle class, and restricted to the rich. It's another punishment to people who have no money.

I can also imagine this hurting businesses, as I doubt free wifi hotspots will exist anymore when the businesses have to start paying more so that customers can use every website. A lot of coffee shops and book stores and such get more business due to wifi and the internet. Sales on sites like amazon will die out as people will just go to other places to shop so they don't pay as much for the internet.

None of these idiotic people in congress think about their actions, all they think about is greed and lining their pockets. I've always been ashamed of this country and it's just getting worse and worse. I hate Trump and I hate all these jerks who are bathing in gold bathtubs full of money while broke college students are wondering how they'll scrape up an extra $10 a month to pay for internet services to do their school work.

Just...UGH.

God, I'm just thinking about the poor students that can't do their homework because they can't afford internet. This is affecting so, so many different things. These politicians just want to scoop up every dollar in these poor people's pockets....

going to bump this back up because I feel like this is even more relevant right now than it was several weeks ago.

In other words, I think saw somewhere that one of the FCC council members is voting to keep net neutrality so there is potential of it being saved. Even if you don't live in the U.S, its still good to try and keep it as this can actually influence other countries as well.

If you live in the U.S, I recommend you text "RESIST" to 504-09 to be able to send a letter directly to your local representatives.

going to bump this back up because I feel like this is even more relevant right now than it was several weeks ago.

In other words, I think saw somewhere that one of the FCC council members is voting to keep net neutrality so there is potential of it being saved. Even if you don't live in the U.S, its still good to try and keep it as this can actually influence other countries as well.

If you live in the U.S, I recommend you text "RESIST" to 504-09 to be able to send a letter directly to your local representatives.

i was gonna bump this too but uhhh forgot

real question is....why do so little people know of this. all these net neutrality videos i've seen barely have the amount of views they need. if the day comes that net neutrality is gone so many ppl are gonna be shocked like "wait what happened noooo"

~Unicorn~ said:
i was gonna bump this too but uhhh forgot

real question is....why do so little people know of this. all these net neutrality videos i've seen barely have the amount of views they need. if the day comes that net neutrality is gone so many ppl are gonna be shocked like "wait what happened noooo"

A combination of people being too busy with work or other important life events, distractions from entertainment, and the fact that people smarter than the average person managed to politicize something that should have the support of anyone regardless of political ideology. Unfortunately, some have bought into the idea that because Net Neutrality wasn't officially codified until 2015 that it wasn't needed, without realizing that it was just something to keep the Internet the same as it had been and to keep the Internet Service Providers from acting in bad faith. Our stupid, tribalistic, sports team mentality when it comes to political parties is a part of the problem, as it is being exploited in some circles that because Net Neutrality's repeal would aggravate liberals, "it must be a good thing." Hopelessness probably also plays a part since it's abundantly clear that attempts to resist mean little, due to their unwillingness to listen to arguments for keeping Net Neutrality in place.

In short, we're a sick nation whose weaknesses are being used against us.

As far as the FCC member who apparently might vote to keep Net Neutrality that N e s s mentioned is concerned, I'll believe it if I see it. I'm such a pessimistic person in general, and especially about this issue, that I immediately assume that it's just a ploy to try to get people to stop bothering them about it and stop resisting. If it's true, that'd be great, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Last edited:
****ing stupid. correct me if i'm wrong about anything i say but it's the government who gets the final say, right? If the government is supposed to listen to and respect/represent the wishes of their people, and a laaaarge majority is saying a fat "NO" to losing their net neutrality, but the government votes "YES" and takes away net neutrality, it's not really a democracy, is it.

Of course it's not a democracy, don't be silly. We all know only the rich have power. There is no country on earth that is a democracy, they're all plutocracies oligarchies, specifically, plutocracies (oligarchy is a form of government where a small group of people have total control over the country) and plutocracy is a form of oligarchy where the government only cares about the rich. The government doesn't care about what the people want, they care about making themselves and other rich people richer and making the people think that they care about us (when they don't, at ALL). I like the idea of communism, but in communist countries, the problem is even worse, the communist governments only cares about making themselves richer not even other rich people (unless you're talking about China or Vietnam, who in reality are just like the USA, because they also care about rich people). The government is just evil, as evil as the devil.

Taking away net neutrality is probably the government's plan to have more control over us and brainwash us, which they already do, but even more.

Examples of Brainwashing by the Government:
Pledge of Alligience- So we are forced to pledge our alligience to Satan basically, everyday at school, the pledge of alligience is just filled with a bunch of lies anyway, there is no liberty and justice got all, and the USA is definatly not a nation under God, more like under Satan actually, and it's also not even really a republic, we are also forced to put our hand on our heart, basically forcing people to show that they love the USA, and brainwash them into loving it.
National Anthem- Land of the Free? No way. Home of the brave? If we were we would have had multiple civil wars by now and the USA probably wouldn't even exist. It also makes us think that we should be proud to be Americans, even though we should feel very ashamed of the USA, especially the government.

Last edited:
A combination of people being too busy with work or other important life events, distractions from entertainment, and the fact that people smarter than the average person managed to politicize something that should have the support of anyone regardless of political ideology. Unfortunately, some have bought into the idea that because Net Neutrality wasn't officially codified until 2015 that it wasn't needed, without realizing that it was just something to keep the Internet the same as it had been and to keep the Internet Service Providers from acting in bad faith. Our stupid, tribalistic, sports team mentality when it comes to political parties is a part of the problem, as it is being exploited in some circles that because Net Neutrality's repeal would aggravate liberals, "it must be a good thing." Hopelessness probably also plays a part since it's abundantly clear that attempts to resist mean little, due to their unwillingness to listen to arguments for keeping Net Neutrality in place.

In short, we're a sick nation whose weaknesses are being used against us.

As far as the FCC member who apparently might vote to keep Net Neutrality that N e s s mentioned is concerned, I'll believe it if I see it. I'm such a pessimistic person in general, and especially about this issue, that I immediately assume that it's just a ploy to try to get people to stop bothering them about it and stop resisting. If it's true, that'd be great, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

yeah, people like me who don't understand politic talk.....:lemon: though i still sorta understood this. someone should make a dummy version and post it on youtube or something, then the younger ones will know

and i hope one of those money-brains actually want to keep it....tbh i feel like trump has some plan to kill all the poor people by making them so broke they can't live.....idk it just really seems like that now. and it's really disappointing

apparently this is way too overhyped.

It's actually really quite important, I think you need to do more research into the matter because it won't be good if it's repealed. Either way, please have more urgency about this.

Last edited:
Wow, is this actually a thing? This sounds horrible!

But, is this about having to pay for internet usage? Since paying for wifi and data usage is already required, at least in Canada. Or is this about paying extra to be able to use most internet sites properly?

Last edited:
Wow, is this actually a thing? This sounds horrible!

But, is this about having to pay for internet usage? Since paying for wifi and data usage is already required, at least in Canada. Or is this about paying extra to be able to use most internet sites properly?

Currently, there are laws in place that keep Internet providers from restricting what content is available to you online. If net neutrality was taken away, they could, for example, make you pay extra to access certain sites, or make certain sites completely inaccessible.

Oh yeah, this is really bad. And I keep seeing people defending it saying it'll be good for businesses and crap but why the hell are these people putting the corporations over the people?

it's sick and twisted. i don't know why they're doing this now - well, i do, it's because everyone is distracted by the holidays lmao - but i wish they weren't scum and would actually postpone it further. whatever the case if they think i'm paying for certain websites they are literally out of their ****ing minds, this **** isn't going to fly

sigh i'm pretty sure we're not going to be able to save it. I read somewhere that a republican senator wants to pass a bill to save it though.

because what internet needs in any country is giantass isps being able to charge websites to get access to a "high speed lane" (what we have now, realistically) and charge the people themselves to be able to get the "higher" speeds...
like what the hell, anyone with that thought process is blatantly wrong. making the internet "not communist" is really dumb.
it's like going up to some library and asking for a book and the librarian responding, "yeah, it's right here, but we're going to make you wait for it; we weren't paid to shelve their book."
every single business class ever will teach you that the customer is the most important person in any transaction
throttling their internet speeds for the assurance that "it's not communism" is really infuriating

isn't it true that even if the net neutrality bill gets passed by the fcc, it has to go through congress ? i'm sort of scared about this, yeah, but it's not like the battle to maintain net neutrality is long from over — i'm optimistic that there will be a good amount of resistance against this sort of bill.

nonetheless, the fact pait is ignoring public outcry and doing whatever he damn pleases is extremely corrupted. even the fcc commissioner is against this, yet she can't do too much besides oppose the bill on the 14th...

god bless america! /s

isn't it true that even if the net neutrality bill gets passed by the fcc, it has to go through congress ? i'm sort of scared about this, yeah, but it's not like the battle to maintain net neutrality is long from over — i'm optimistic that there will be a good amount of resistance against this sort of bill.

nonetheless, the fact pait is ignoring public outcry and doing whatever he damn pleases is extremely corrupted. even the fcc commissioner is against this, yet she can't do too much besides oppose the bill on the 14th...

god bless america! /s
I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure the FCC doesn't do bills. What's happening on the 14th is a vote that, again I might be wrong, is wholly separate from the House of Representatives and the Senate. Bills have to go through both the House and Senate, so that might be what you're thinking of. This is partly why calls and outcry to Congressmen and whatnot haven't been doing anything, they're not involved in this specific decision. The best we could hope for would be legislation with bipartisan (both parties) support to maintain aspects of the current Net Neutrality rules but that's not happening, especially in this political climate.

Back