• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Pokémon How often do you nickname Pokemon?

50m4ra

Aaaaaaaaaaaaayiaaaaaaaaah
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Holiday Candy Cane 2017
New Leaf Token
Isabelle
Jack
As we all know you can nickname Pokemon stuff. But generally only the apples of your eye get nicknamed-- which leads to a lot of Pokemon not getting enough love and care which leads down a bad path of drugs alcohol and---- Oops shouldnt tell happy lil trainers that... so I'm wondering how often does everyone else nickname?

Personally younger I didn't care bout anything I caught execpt The BEST Pokemon to me ( mainly because I couldn't spell :p )
But in moon I nicknamed alooot of pokes I caught same as my replay of A-sapphire but now on my first play thru of ultra moon... NONE Aren't nicknamed I even got more creative naming too! while I still name stuff in reference to my current interest ( poplio is named sig zoura is name ecolo and dito is named "also ecolo" ) I also name them more Hawaiian stuff like 2 sounds with a " ' " in-between ( Cubone is named "Tua'ally" )

On a side note while watching arrow I was deciding my name for my treaco And I saw in the subtitles That *RANSOM SONG HERE* was being song by "James bay" so I named it that but miss clicked enter so his name is just James lol

Last edited:
Hardly. But when I have an idea, i'll nickname them with that name.

When I was a kid I nicknamed everything, even when I caught a bunch of multiples of a Pok?mon (as I was wont to do during rare swarms in R/S/E, for instance). They were usually the dumbest and strangest nicknames too.. the good names I used only on Pok?mon I liked or was using in my team lol which is still the case today. I nickname every Pok?mon that I intend on using so it bothers the hell out of me that the event mythicals generally can't be nicknamed even when you receive them yourself ;/ I don't even kno what I would name my Marshadow all I know is he would have a name..!

almost never. i don't see the point in it most of the time but i frequently did it as a chlid

I nickname every Pokemon that I use on a team. Typically I breed a team to use for a fresh run of the game instead of catching things in the wild unless it's my first time through a region. I generally have a theme for whatever the team is, and give each team member a name that somehow relates to the theme. Nothing else I catch gets a nickname most of the time unless I'm just feeling like giving them one on the spur of the moment.

Every. Single. One.

Also you're a horrible person if you don't nickname Solgaleo/Lunala "Nebby".

If it's one I really like or will have on my team, I name it!
if I;m just catching them for the dex or if I need them temporarily, I don't

Very rarely. Probably only have like 5-6 Nicknamed Pokemon. :p

Every. Single. One.

Also you're a horrible person if you don't nickname Solgaleo/Lunala "Nebby".

Well everyone else names it nebby and I named the cosmog 2 I got in moon nebby

I named my lunala "sombra" ........

I don't nickname my Pok?mon at all, but a cool nickname for Mimikyu would be Peek-At-You because Pikachu. :)

I nickname my core team of six and any shinies I may come across, but only name others if inspiration strikes! Thinking them up is super fun, in my opinion :)

I used to nickname all of them, but after SoulSilver I stopped. It was too much hassle. Now I only nickname the ones I really like, ones I'll use on my team, or ones that I think of a cute/clever nickname for.

I have always nicknamed all of them, since Pok?mon Red. When I catch one while travelling, I usually name it after the place or event I caught it at - that's why I have a Rapidash called "Nevada", and a Primeape called "Mardi Gras", for example.

I nickname Pokemon that don't have any battle purpose but look nice, like my Shiny Altaria. And if I have an idea, I'll nickname Pokemon I actually use.

I never touch legendaries though, so I can trade them later on if I want.

Almost never. I?ve played the franchise since Yellow and many times when replaying an old version I?ve set out with the goal of giving every Pokemon a nickname but it never lasts. I usually end up with the Eeveelutions as my main team and I quite often give them nicknames! I also watched the anime and it becomes habit calling a Pok?mon by it?s original name so changing it seems silly.

Long story short; I really do love the idea of it, just rarely put it into practice.

If I think of a fun name for a Pok?mon I will give them a nickname. I usually don't though. I tend to forget what a Pok?mon's actual name is if I nickname one from a new game. I'll be like "Do you have any Snazzys?" who is Salazzle. lol

Back