Do you miss the old personalities?

Hah! Thanks for the screenshots. While I do miss their ‘spicy’ personalities, I’m not sure I’d want them in New Leaf... just doesn’t fit the vibe, I feel.

The vibe is a watered down one though.
It's like Stepford, or they've undergone a labotomy.

It's sad.

If they had the old WW dialogue and wit, I wouldn't be ignoring my NL villagers.

even the lazies can be rude, everyone was such a sass in the old GC ver
i kinda miss it, though im still mad at punchy for being rude the 1st day i met him
(he used to be my favorite till i met him in GC ver)

I definitely agree with this. I've just started a new game in Wild World, simply for just how much more interesting the villagers are in the game. For example, having their own hobbies etc and feeling like you are actually building a friendship. New Leaf really lacks this.

I forget a lot about the GC version because I played it when I was like 5, but the wild world personalities I feel had a good balance of “kinda rude but will warm up eventually” that is definitely missing in New Leaf. I’d like them to go back to how they were in WW, or at least in City Folk

Last edited:
I do and I don't. I think they're funny, but I have a hard time with abstract langauge. So I don't even understand what they're saying half of the time because it sounds so weird. But it is kind of funny having them call you stupid all of the time and such. Especially since they tend to get less mean the better you get to know them. In New Leaf I haven't really noticed any change in friendship, they're just friendly from the start and use the same dialoge it seems.

Rather than making them mean all the time, I'd like to see a friendship building system where they start off super cold and cranky (or whichever their personalities deem appropriate), and after enough time, you become better friends and see them warm up to you a bit. Perhaps something where it's easier to build up friendships with "normal" type villagers as an example, but you have to work extra hard to get those cranky types to trust you enough to call you their friend.

never played the old games, but looking at these examples are damn hilarious lmfao, its very interesting compared to new leaf
like in new leaf I got bored pretty easily from talking to them & it doesn't interest me anymore to read what they say cause they keep repeating the same thing.
but these older personalities are really fun to read & I feel like it makes you wanna read their entire dialogue instead of skipping it lmfao

they should have balanced between the two, not too nice & not too blunt

Last edited:
Gosh YES I miss them so much. I feel like New Leaf doesn't have enough consequences for forgetting things or perks when you become close enough with a villager. I have no idea when I might get someone's picture because everyone is super friendly from the start, and there's less of a feel for progression. I also just think the dialogues were hilarious sometimes and I always wanted to read what they say, like betta mentioned. It's always kinda sad when they talk about the same things things over and over again because the dialogue used to be so much more rich!

The personalities used to be much more obvious in the past as well, but now besides the different voice pitches and a few different dialogues about maybe sports or food I feel like everyone is pretty similar. I really miss the strength that used to be in the snooty and cranky personalities for sure, because like others have said it used to be SO rewarding to become friends with them.

I think Wild World has a pretty good balance that continually kept my interest without being quite as harsh as the gamecube version. I still loved the GC game though and would love to have that back, but I just don't think it's realistic at this point with the direction the games have been going. I just hope at least that the future games will bring back more personality to the villagers and have less overlapping/similar dialogue, but I'm worried that they'll just add a bunch of new random features and not leave enough data for the villagers like what kinda happened in NL.

I miss them a lot. In NL they feel like a shadow of themselves. I like the game but I miss the characters, that’s partly why I play the old games still.

I haven't played the GC version, but TBH I'm sensitive and so I like being filled with a town of villagers who don't insult me. Although I can definitely see the comedic value of snarky villagers.

when marshal, rooney and apollo yelled happy stinkin birthday i laughed for a straight five minutes because i didnt expect marshal to join in
that was the "rudest" part of new leaf to me and im laughing just thinking about it
i loved the building up friendship system because like a lot of people said i just slam B when they talk nowadays
unless its a cranky villager, STILL cant get enough of them

Back