• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Do you miss the old personalities?

Yeah the old personalities made the game much more interesting. The WW personalities were the perfect balance of funny and entertaining without being too mean, but I'd take the crazy GC personalities over the bland NL ones.

I love how cold and rude the villagers are in the beginning of Wild World. Even Ruby, who's peppy was annoyed when I talked to her. The Cranky villagers are a lot better in WW than NL.

I remember a conversation in WW between Daisy and Punchy.

Daisy: "Don't drink the river water, Punchy.
You don't know where it's been!"

Punchy: "Yes I do!.
In the river!"

LoL

And Eloise, to me, after I was stung by bees.

"And dufus of the year award goes to...
Your FACE!"

Ahh, I miss the old dialogue. ^_^

Last edited:
I loove the personalities in the older games and it kind of upsets me that because a few kids were crybabies and literally ruined the game for everyone who ENJOYS the attitude. I grew up watching Chucky movies and Beavis and Butthhead, so it never bothered me one bit.
And our society is so PC now, that I seriously doubt if we will ever get to experience that again.. Boo

Last edited:
Yes i miss those they were so funny

honestly I really enjoy how much more polite and idk, normal everyone is? then again I started gamecube as a little child so I'd genuinely get upset when villagers would get pissed/ resetti would yell at me ;( also people getting pissed when you wouldn't do one stupid thing for them lmao

Last edited:
I remember in WW, listening to a conversation between Tipper, and Angus.

It was something like:
Angus: "I'm sorry for saying your makeup looked clownish"

Tipper: "Oh? Then I'M sorry for saying you look like a smelly old boot!"

And then it was ON! :D

Yes I do. but we all know why they were changed. Same reason why resetti was made an option: crying kids and protective parents.

Last edited:
I'd not really care if they went back to WW levels of difference, but I like the current situation because if I was a mom, I wouldn't want my kids getting upset and/or crying over something their villager said to them.

I think the idea behind it was to make it more obvious that everyone in animal crossing is a good person and a sweetheart at their core, without layering behind too much...onion? I forgot where I was going with that metaphor. Oh well.

I dunno if I'd like them to return to their "mean" old selves as much as I'd like them to have more personality and just WAY more dialogue!
The snooties though, I'd like them to be just a tad cattier, or at least pretentious or something.

Last edited:
Yes it made things much more funnier. I remember on ACCF when I was 6 I didn't understand the personalities so I hated Violet the snooty gorilla as I thought she was being mean to me. :p

I think they have become a bit too friendly. Now, the only time they really get mad at you is when you physically attack them with a net.

I'm honestly not very fond of the "toned down" personalities in New Leaf. They all seem very generic and way too easy to befriend. They really don't care about whatever you do in New Leaf either. In the Gamecube game you could ask to do an errand, and when they specify what it is, if you reject them, they'd get angry and pout for a while. Now they're like, "eh, ok." and forget it instantly. Everything in New Leaf feels focused on and catered specifically to you, whereas the older games felt more focused on interactions.

Yes a LOT, but I highly doubt theyre ever gonna bring them back since AC has been severely dumbed down and reduced to nothing more but a kids game

Yes a LOT, but I highly doubt theyre ever gonna bring them back since AC has been severely dumbed down and reduced to nothing more but a kids game

Yet they have the crankies yell "HAPPY STINKIN' BIRTHDAY" at your party, as my old Angus did.

Nothing against New Leaf, but I hate it of what happened to the villager and their
personalities in that game. Sometimes, it feels like you only have to talk once with
a villager and you already be "best friends forever" with that villager. I remember how
hard it was to become friends with a villager back in Wild World, as it was like a
challenge to make a villager likes you.

I also remember of how mean a villager can be to you, like a cranky for example.
The crankies in NL are now way too friendly and kind to you, too often out of
character. Sure, they still have some typical cranky dialogs, but they are nothing
compare to the ones from the older AC games.

Overall, the behavior of the villagers in the older AC games were much better. They
cared more about what you have done that they do in NL, as it feels like you can do
what you want and they don't care. I don't understand why they have to change so
much the villagers and I hope that in the next main AC, the villagers will be acting
more like they personalities ("back to the roots" would be nice) and doesn't become
so fast friends with you.

Hah! Thanks for the screenshots. While I do miss their ‘spicy’ personalities, I’m not sure I’d want them in New Leaf... just doesn’t fit the vibe, I feel.

Last edited:
Despite not playing much with the older personalities, I'd love to have a wider variety. Having meaner villagers would make the game so much more enjoyable with meaner villagers

Back