• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

This game isn't fun anymore

HappyTails

On Indefinite Hiatus
Orange 🍊
Coconut 🥥
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Every day, I'm playing less and less and I'm not having fun anymore. And it's frustrating because the villagers I need gone still haven't pinged me to move. This is the kind of crap that causes me to restart my game: Villagers that are in way not leaving. It makes me rage restart. I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I'm just not having fun anymore because my creativity is being stifled and my ability to make my town how I want is being taken away from me.

Anyone have an suggestions on what I can do to make this game fun again because I'm at the end of my rope with this save.

I'm almost to the point where I'm about to restart my game and I really don't want to that's why I made this thread in hopes someone can give me suggestions on what I can focus on besides these two villagers that became my least favorite villagers in the entire franchise (yes, I'm talking about Fang and Cranston)

Last edited:
I go through periods of boredom in ACNL as well. I'm on a bit of a break right now as I manage school work and I plan to pick it up again when my holiday begins in 2 weeks.

You may want to take a step back and not force yourself to play if you're not getting enjoyment out of it. It'll only frustrate you. Focus on other things and the interest should return, maybe with some new inspiration. Don't do anything impulsive in the meantime.
The only means of speeding up the process of moving villagers out is time travelling or forcing them out with an Amiibo card, which you may not want to do either. I get it's frustrating; the only other way is patience.

You could also explore other aspects of the gameplay like earning badges (something I was very motivated in obtaining), designing your house, doing island tours, Club Tortimer... there are endless possibilities. Don't have tunnel vision and do things in-game you may have never tried before.

Good luck, I hope your passion for ACNL returns in some form :)

Last edited:
Hmm those are good ideas. I do like doing Island tours. And I have a lot of Cabana items I still need to get. And I do have Club Tortimer so I can try to get some items from there too. Good ideas, I don't know why I didn't think of those. But I think I'm still going to step back from the game for a bit though because I'm still frustrated but I'm only going to log on to get fossils and check to see if anyone is trying to move.

It's tempting to restart, but I'm not going to because in the end, it's likely not going to do anything since in the new town, it's going to be the same thing, villagers in the way and refusing to leave. Plus I dont' feel like dealing with filling the museum again when I almost completed it and I still haven't reached the goal I set for myself: Getting the T&T Emporium. So restarting I'm not. That's giving in and letting the game win.

Thanks Jeannine, you made me feel a lot better. :)

Last edited:
ahh I'm sorry to hear that :( you could always try time-travelling and reset tricks to get rid of unwanted villagers?
if not, you could always start a new town - i restarted a few months ago, bc i didn't like my layout or villagers. since getting a new town i'm enjoying it so much more tbh.
or maybe u just need a break from the game? either way good luck, i hope you enjoy it more soon ^^

Hmm those are good ideas. I do like doing Island tours. And I have a lot of Cabana items I still need to get. And I do have Club Tortimer so I can try to get some items from there too. Good ideas, I don't know why I didn't think of those. But I think I'm still going to step back from the game for a bit though because I'm still frustrated but I'm only going to log on to get fossils and check to see if anyone is trying to move.

It's tempting to restart, but I'm not going to because in the end, it's likely not going to do anything since in the new town, it's going to be the same thing, villagers in the way and refusing to leave. Plus I dont' feel like dealing with filling the museum again when I almost completed it and I still haven't reached the goal I set for myself: Getting the T&T Emporium. So restarting I'm not. That's giving in and letting the game win.

Wow, HT, I could have written that second paragraph myself.

ahh I'm sorry to hear that :( you could always try time-travelling and reset tricks to get rid of unwanted villagers?
if not, you could always start a new town - i restarted a few months ago, bc i didn't like my layout or villagers. since getting a new town i'm enjoying it so much more tbh.
or maybe u just need a break from the game? either way good luck, i hope you enjoy it more soon ^^

Its not the layout that's bugging me, it's two villager that just won't move but I honesty think I'm just overwhelmed with this game and I think taking a break from it is just what I need.

Wow, HT, I could have written that second paragraph myself.

LOL yeah, well it's the truth because I'll just end up regretting my decision to restart especially when I've come so far in this town and I'm only one fashion check away from my goal of the Emporium. Restarting isn't happening. It's tempting because I'm frustrated, but it's not happening lol

Last edited:
Not really relevant to this thread but, my thoughts regarding the Emporium are that (strictly for me) it's not worth the effort. Sure, it has more items than T.I.Y. but Gracie is a total (again, for me) waste. If I could arrange a little third floor arson while Gracie is napping....

Considering how you seem to be feeling about the game lately I think you're very much due a bit of a break ;o;
If you're not totally against the idea of time traveling: write down the date of the last day you played. So when you come back to your break you can go back and play the days you've missed so you don't have to worry about skipping days/villagers you like moving out

Not really relevant to this thread but, my thoughts regarding the Emporium are that (strictly for me) it's not worth the effort. Sure, it has more items than T.I.Y. but Gracie is a total (again, for me) waste. If I could arrange a little third floor arson while Gracie is napping....

I hear ya, but I've had this game since 2015 and in the two years I've played this game, I've never stuck with a town long enough to make it to that final upgrade. I mean, the shop itself might not be all that impressive, but for me, it would be a feat to even make it to that upgrade. :)

Don't let Copper or Booker hear you talk about arson. You will be put in Animal Crossings jail. XD

- - - Post Merge - - -

Considering how you seem to be feeling about the game lately I think you're very much due a bit of a break ;o;
If you're not totally against the idea of time traveling: write down the date of the last day you played. So when you come back to your break you can go back and play the days you've missed so you don't have to worry about skipping days/villagers you like moving out

Yeah, I'm going to take a break from the game. I don't time travel because I'll end up messing something up like I usually do. I'm going to log on every day (or every other day) just to hunt for fossils and check if anyone is moving but I'm not going to do any heavy duty playing like landscaping or anything like that. I don't like to leave this game unattended for too long because it punishes you for not playing unless you time travel.

Last edited:
Not to sound rude but like if your creativity is being 'stifled' by a couple of villagers can't you just use said creativity and work around them :rolleyes:. If not then yeah do what everyone else says

That's not rude. You were asking a question. And I might end up working around them since it seems like they are determined to stay put. And yeah, I'm a creative person (as are a lot of people) so when I feel like I can't put stuff where I want then yes, I feel like it's stifling me. It might sound silly and ridiculous but it's true.

That's not rude. You were asking a question. And I might end up working around them since it seems like they are determined to stay put. And yeah, I'm a creative person (as are a lot of people) so when I feel like I can't put stuff where I want then yes, I feel like it's stifling me. It might sound silly and ridiculous but it's true.

You should try different stuff and try and fit it around till they move! It'll take more time to create and also you might end up loving it

I went through periods of time where I lost interest too! Actually I sold my copy of animal crossing and I ordered it for one day delivery today. I paid ?40 to get this game again and now I'm really excited to play it. To get back into it try watching YouTubers such as chuggaconroy and ZackScottGames and swimming bird. They really make me want to play animal crossing again! If you don't think this entices you to play, try to make goals for yourself. For example, try and get full house improvements and make each room have a particular theme. For example mermaid, cabana, gold, silver, green, red etc. You should also go and meet loads of different players on the island. This is a really fun way to get yourself back into the game. You can do tours to play against other players and eventually you will have enough medals to get loads of exclusive items from the island. Another goal could be that you catch all fish or bugs. If you really can't get yourself back into the game, focus on your town becoming a cycle town. I find it fun doing cycle towns as any weeds can be picked by Leif and you can go to shampoodles for hair if you get back into the game thoroughly. Cycle towns can raise your tbt immensely and then once you get back into the game you can spend loads and loads of bells on better villagers. If you don't like the idea of your town becoming a cycle town, try and get your villagers to move through amiibo by buying a Nintendo amiibo reader if you have a old 3DS or if you have a new 3DS use the ammibo reader to move villagers with the wisp. If you want a villager to move, NEVER hit them. This counts as an interaction and they will consequently stay in your town longer. Try to just ignore them. If you still feel as though you can't get back into the game, take a break but don't sell your copy o animal crossing. After a couple of months you will probably get back into the game and you will enjoy it as much as you previously did. Good luck with everything and I hope you continue to play animal crossing new leaf. Hope I helped!

Amiibo cards. Get who you want and boot the others out.

I actually going to do that since I just found out that my 3DS has an Amiibo card reader built into it and I don't have to buy that external reader. I'm waiting until after Christmas to buy the cards because I already have my heart set on the Bones complete series box set but in January, I"m definitely going to start buying Amiibo cards.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I went through periods of time where I lost interest too! Actually I sold my copy of animal crossing and I ordered it for one day delivery today. I paid ?40 to get this game again and now I'm really excited to play it. To get back into it try watching YouTubers such as chuggaconroy and ZackScottGames and swimming bird. They really make me want to play animal crossing again! If you don't think this entices you to play, try to make goals for yourself. For example, try and get full house improvements and make each room have a particular theme. For example mermaid, cabana, gold, silver, green, red etc. You should also go and meet loads of different players on the island. This is a really fun way to get yourself back into the game. You can do tours to play against other players and eventually you will have enough medals to get loads of exclusive items from the island. Another goal could be that you catch all fish or bugs. If you really can't get yourself back into the game, focus on your town becoming a cycle town. I find it fun doing cycle towns as any weeds can be picked by Leif and you can go to shampoodles for hair if you get back into the game thoroughly. Cycle towns can raise your tbt immensely and then once you get back into the game you can spend loads and loads of bells on better villagers. If you don't like the idea of your town becoming a cycle town, try and get your villagers to move through amiibo by buying a Nintendo amiibo reader if you have a old 3DS or if you have a new 3DS use the ammibo reader to move villagers with the wisp. If you want a villager to move, NEVER hit them. This counts as an interaction and they will consequently stay in your town longer. Try to just ignore them. If you still feel as though you can't get back into the game, take a break but don't sell your copy o animal crossing. After a couple of months you will probably get back into the game and you will enjoy it as much as you previously did. Good luck with everything and I hope you continue to play animal crossing new leaf. Hope I helped!

You helped. Thank you. Yeah, I might get frustrated at this game time and time again but the one thing I will never do is sell it. Just like Super Smash Bros. That game annoying the living HECK out of me but I would never sell it. Besides, buy back price is usually not even all that much.

I don't know why but I always sell my games once I am bored�� I won't anymore because I did that with sims 3 pets for my Xbox 360 and the price went up ?15 and it took a month to be shipped over. Glad I helped and I feel your pain for super smash bros�� I sometimes hate it and sometimes love it��

I agree. It's time to "Switch" it up. Let's hope Bow, Champagne, Masa, and Megumi all come back.

If you are that frustrated, I suggest buying an amiibo scanner and the villager cards you want to move in and going from there. You can get a scanner for twenty bucks and the cards you want from Ebay. These types of games (ACNL, Harvest Moon) can be very much the same day after day. While some people find that slow paced gaming very comforting, others are always looking for the next thing that excites them. But I suggest you start there. Good luck with you game :)

I actually going to do that since I just found out that my 3DS has an Amiibo card reader built into it and I don't have to buy that external reader. I'm waiting until after Christmas to buy the cards because I already have my heart set on the Bones complete series box set but in January, I"m definitely going to start buying Amiibo cards.

Cool. You will be much happier. :)

Very welcome! :blush: I'm glad you're getting a lot of ideas about how to enjoy the game again. I feel there will always be something in Animal Crossing worth coming back to.
Making use of the new Amiibo features really renewed my own interest last year, I hope it's the case for you too! :blush:

Back