• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

what has acnl helped you through?

Lyle

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
my dad passed away recently, and animal crossing has been really relaxing and something to take my mind off of it. i made a new town shortly after he died and named my mayor the nickname he called me when i was little. it?s really special to me to be able to hear the animals call me it, even though that sounds kinda silly !!

what has animal crossing helped you through?

i?m so thankful to be able to log into my town and have this peaceful n serene little escape heh

Last edited:
first off: i'm really sorry for your loss. it sounds like you guys shared a really special bond and it's really heartening to hear that you're still finding comfort in his memory.

animal crossing has helped me through a LOT. i've got seasonal affective disorder, which means that my depression goes from "pretty bad" to "absolutely soul crushing" every time winter comes calling and the sun is out less often. so i always end up playing animal crossing once it starts getting colder, and it's a big comfort to me. the routine of it is just really reassuring.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you can use Animal crossing as a way to remember him.

Animal crossing has helped me through a lot of the tough things in my life. Just the calming and relaxing effect the game has has been some of the only solace I've had during rubbish times. I remember Wild World helped me a lot when my parents divorced. More recently though, my nan had dementia and was going down hill fast. Watching her decline, and how my parents couldn't handle it, was absolute torture. There was a lot of rubbish that went on and eventually my parents decided she needed to go into a care home. I'm still not sure how I feel about that. The nurses were nice but it was horrid seeing her in a place like that. Thankfully, her suffering ended in September this year when she passed away. But during that time it caused a lot of divides in the family that still remain all these months later. Animal crossing was always there for me to escape to and forget about the madness and horror of the day.

I don't think many people understand just how invaluable AC is. It lifts my spirits on my darkest days and reminds me that the world is beautiful and to take pleasure in the little things in life.

Last edited:
starclutter:
thank you for the condolences, pal : - )

ah yes, the rhythm of the game is so peaceful ? i?m glad it can help that sounds like such a horrible and tumultuos thing to deal w ! <3

hsn97:
thank u for the condolences, same to you <3 !! sorry to hear about your nan, and the rift her absense has caused.
and you phrased it so perfectly, i am glad we both have the reassurance of our peaceful little town getaways.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for your loss.
The game helped me get thru my dads heart surgery a few years ago. Limberg was talking with Teddy and mentioned how he would love to have a daughter that he could take care of. He later asked if he could drop by to check that I had a clean house, enough food and that I was taking care of myself. That's my dad. Later he asked for a greeting and a catchphrase. Hi Daughter is his greeting now. Catchphrase is daughter.

animal crossing has got me through a lot i guess. it was an escape from reality when i was younger
i use it as a distraction sometimes, it's always been an enjoyable game to me and some things would make my heart warm
i'm sorry about your loss but i'm glad you've used this game to relax and take your mind off it :lemon:

One word: LIFE. I have a chronic illness and it's kept me company many a day and night when I am on enforced bed rest. It has helped me through being a new mom, raising a teenager, now a young adult and now it helps me while I take care of my mother, who has Alzheimer's. It cares for me on the days I lack the energy to life because life is so freaking impossible sometimes.

I'm really glad you have made this thread. I am really sorry for your loss and I hope everything within your family is going well and your feeling emotionally better. I understand that you can't get another dad and that it is a really hard thing to get over however I love how you have used animal crossing to make yourself feel better. Whenever I play animal crossing it really makes me feel relaxed and back to my usual self. Whenever I have been bullied physically or mentally I like to play animal crossing. It makes me feel relaxed regardless of how I feel.

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss - my condolences to you and your family. It's clear how much you love him and I'm so glad Animal Crossing is giving you a way to honour him and escape from life for a while. It's not silly at all and I'm sure very meaningful to hear the nickname given by your father in kind conversation. I hope living in your town helps you heal and I wish you the most strength.

Personally, Animal Crossing helped me through the worst of my depression and a great deal of loneliness. I've been playing the series for ten years now and it has let me survive a lot of sadness. It comes down to the opportunity to get away from reality and build a paradisiacal life. I don't think I'll ever stop playing though I'm entering early adulthood - I'm indebted to these games and will always love them.

I'm so sorry for your loss - I can't even imagine. As for what Animal Crossing has gotten me through over the last 15 years: a lot. Most recently it's helping with the effects of PTSD and grief. When I play, it helps me to relax and put my brain into a sense of "normal". I take that sense of normalcy after gameplay into the real world where I can be helpful and upbeat with others. I think piaying is speeding up the healing process and making me a more creative person actually since I incorporate so much designing and brainstorming processes into my gameplay.

Oh, that's terrible! I'm so sorry for you and your family, and I'm glad Animal Crossing can help in some small way.

As for me, I've been dealing with serious chronic illness issues for several years. Animal Crossing helps keep me distracted, gives me something to look forward to, and provides an activity that occupies my mind without me having to exert a lot of effort. Plus, it's just so friendly and positive, which is good for me when life is so hard.

i've only had animal crossing for about two months but ive noticed that it really helps to calm down my anxiety ;; so whenever i feel really on edge and kind of panic-y i pick it up and play until i feel calm and safe again

I have bouts of insomnia, so I play AC as the repetitive dialogue soon puts me to sleep.

Last edited:
This game has helped me battle through depression and anxiety. I picked it up originally for those reasons, and I wasn't let down. I don't have friends so my villagers become my friends and take care of that void in my life. I'm so thankful for the game and what it does to make me feel better.

Animal crossing really helped me through my PTSD. Whenever I feel an episode coming on, I turn on ACNL and put my mind in a better place.

ACNL and video games in general have helped me with depression. It's a different world where everyone needs you, unlike the real world ehere it feels like nobody does.

Last edited:
Acnl has helped me through Major Depression, Anytime I felt alone I'd boot the game up and get greeted by villagers. It feels like my home. Everythings cute & happy when the world around me feels hopeless, It's a good source of positivity and company for me. In the past 19 years such a small thing has meant the world to be and been an escape.

I sometimes get spooked by the dark at night & booting up AC helps get my mind off of it. It’s a silly thing to still be afraid of buuut it is what it is.

It’s also helpful during my restless insomniatic nights, the game is very calm and relaxing and can help me get sleepy. Also sometimes if I can’t sleep I get kind of anxious about it (esp. if I have to get up early the next day or have an exam or something), and naturally, AC for sure helps with that.

It’s really quite beautiful how this game helps so many stay strong in stressful or upsetting situations. Keep fighting the good fight everyone. You are loved.

im deathly afraid of silence or being alone so when my internet is acting up or the power goes out in the middle of the night my villagers always calm me down
also while my grandma was in the hospital this game helped out a ton through that time and her passing

Back