Is Babadook a gay icon?

is babadook a gay icon

• hell yes

Votes: 20 52.6%
  • hell no

Votes: 18 47.4%

• Total voters
I don't get the meme at all. I see 'straight people ruined it' comments, can I ask how? I genuinely have no idea.

Maybe i don't get it bc i'm straight? idk. i'm sorry ;;

Edit: Ah, nvm. I see what happened.

Shellnut for anyone still confused:

Netflix: accidentally puts the Babadook movie under "LGBT Films" category*

LGBT community: starts a little intracommunity joke/meme that's pretty much just "the Babadook is gay lol" (or I've seen a few "is bi" + "is trans" as well), makes some fun edits of the Babadook holding pride flags, makes a few clever, tasteful drag race edits

Buzzfeed and straight people: feel left out for some reason, feel the need to try to join in by making memes of the babadook being a flaming stereotype screaming "YAAAAAAS GUUURL OOO YAAAS QUEEEEN YAAAAAAASSS GAGAAAA OOO HONEY THOSE SHOES WITH THOSE NAILS OH GUUUURL YAAAAAAS HONEY LET'S GO SHOPPING YAAAAAAAAS DRAG RACE YAAAAAS QUEEN SLAAAY", skyrocket this archetype so that it basically becomes the face of the joke, make whatever this is:

mZ9cNc1.png

and so is the tale of the Babadook being ruined forever

I've watched the movie a few years back but didn't realized babadook is gay lol but seriously, I wasn't aware of the meme until I read the previous posts. That was funny, I guess xD

Well I mean, he's the embodiment of depression... but the meme was funny for a hot minute until, like many others stated, it was ruined. Some of the edits and stuff made me legit laugh but it got old really fast like most memes. Still a really neat movie.

You know, similar to the Pennywise thing, it's not that good of an idea to have demons represent LGBT+ folk, I feel. Or at least if it's done as a joke we find comfort in to sort of appropriate the idea that's different, but this mostly turns into straight people thinking "haha gay demon xD" and now you got folks thinking they're being progressive by putting gay Babadook and Pennywise all over stuff while they ignore the struggles of actual LGBT+ people.

Back