• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Do you believe in magic?

Do you believe in magic?

• Yes, as part of my spirituality

Votes: 15 16.9%
  • Yes, but not as part of my spirituality

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 41 46.1%
  • Unsure

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters
I don't see why it can't be real.

I mean, people believe in deities that there is no proof of existing, so why can't we believe magic is real? A lot of things happen that can't be proven as to why. Things science can't even prove. I say magic.

As part of spirituality, yes. Magic is a form of energy. It can't do stereotypical things like curse people or make yourself invisible, but it can help you to empower yourself and others. It's all about energy, literally.

I had a teacher in high school who thought she could channel the power of the universe through herself and heal people from cancer and other ailments. She also thought she was burned to the stake in a past life.

Needless to say, I never heard anything so insane in my entire life.

Magic like Harry Potter kind of magic, no.

But stuffs like spirit channeling, s?ance, things like that (if they count as magic?), I have to say I believe that those kind of things might be real. My neighbor claims she can communicate with my late grandpa and told us that he's doing well, so I'm glad lol.

no. but then again the definition i'm thinking of might not match the true intentions bc i'm not sure what "as part of my spirituality" means lol

no. but then again the definition i'm thinking of might not match the true intentions bc i'm not sure what "as part of my spirituality" means lol

Mostly talking about witchcraft, which generally means the practice and belief in magical skills and abilities. It's less of a dramatic "I can use magic to fly", although I personally believe in a bit of both the extremely overdramatic portrayals of magic and in witchcraft. From my experience, a lot of witchcraft-type magic is using things like spells and potions and rituals to change the energies in the world around you, and to will things into your life that you want. There is also often an aspect of trying to get more in touch with nature that can go along with this.

Wicca/Pagan Witchcraft is a religion that heavily relies on witchcraft, although many people like myself practice witchcraft without being religious, and more just generally spiritual.

i believe in magic because i meet some people in my life so ignorant and dumb that there must be some unexplained magical source for it.

lol jk

but not joking

but i do believe in magic fr ok bye

As a few others have said, I'm a Witch, so I do believe in magic. It isn't the Hollywood version, but rather projected energy.

I wonder if some of the people who are so dismissive would also discredit the idea of the power of prayer. It's a very similar concept, folks, just different words.

I dunno. Maybe it's real. Maybe not. It's cool, though, and I think my parents think it's real.

I think if people redefine their idea about what magic is, they might start to believe.
Magic isn’t a person tricking you into thinking a rabbit is coming out of a portal in their hat.

Real magic is putting serious intention and willpower into healing a sick creature with herbs and positive thinking and watching it heal, when it’s diagnosis was fatal.
Real magic is happening to run into someone who helps you open up a whole new pathway in your life when you were thinking about it all the past week.
It’s also the feeling of making real change in the world by merely hoping, putting intention towards it, and perhaps lighting a candle or two.

Magic is so real, and so accessible, but a closed mind is all it takes to close out it’s possibilities.

Wow. That's.....nice. Good post. sorry I don't really know what to say lol

The title makes me think about this song

"Got to believe in magic
Tell me how two people find each other
In a world that's full of strangers;
You've got to believe in magic
Somethin' stronger than the moon above
'Cause it's magic when two people fall in love"

lol cheesy, I know. But seriously, other than 'love' I honestly don't believe in magic :p (eww cringe-worthy post)

Every time I see this thread I can't help but sing the title.

Late to the party, I already posted it XD

Also personally I don't see a reason to call it abomination or stuff. So those guys mean religion is not magic to them either? Like, I can see some contradictions here.

I always believed the term "magick" didn't have the same meaning as the traditional word "magic" and instead had a different meaning applying to specific religions / spiritualities? In that case yes, magic is real because it's sometime people do, it's a practice, just as "vampires" are real because people do drink human blood and act as vampires, although there's nothing supernatural going on and "vampires" don't exist in the traditional sense.

To answer the question though, no. I don't believe in anything that falls into the "supernatural" category.

Back