That one Lolly fanboy
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
New Leaf Token
Green Candy
Red Candy
Poptart Easter Egg
Pokemon is a series of games where our little fighters can appear over and over throughout the generations. And among the many, we have our favorites. Do you give nicknames for your pokemon, that you re-use when you catch them in a different game?

For example. My beloved Aegislash. I have my own strategy for raising her. (Yes, I keep getting a female sword throughout my games.) Given her backstory, I've come to call her "Excalibur", and repeated that in ORAS, and Sun/Moon.

Moving on, My Rowlet -> Decidueye. I name it "OwliverQueen", because Oliver Queen is the Green Arrow, and Decidueye is an owl, who shoots arrows. Some are based off of the anime. I name my Diglett "TrioTrioTrio", because of that one episode back in gen 1, where there was one part where it would just go "Diglett dig, Diglett dig, TRIO TRIO TRIO", in anticipating of its inevitable evolution into a Dugtrio. I also name my Psyduck "Psy Yi Yi", because that was what it would say, half the time, in the anime. Mudkip's evolutionary line is "Memekip", between the "I herd u liek mudkips" meme, and, well, Vinny from Vinesauce getting a Mudkip in a corruption of Pokemon RSE, named the same as my nickname for it. Zigzagoon is named "Ziz", because I didn't know what to do with it, despite it becoming a useful HM slave.

So what are your traditions with nicknames?

I named Rowlet Virion because he is one of my favorite Fire Emblem archers. The problem is when I nickname Pok?mon from a new generation, I never remember what their actual names are. I don't even know how to say Decidueye, so that doesn't help any. I name Talonflame Taka after Simon Blackquill's bird in Phoenix Wright. I will sometimes also name Pok?mon after cool trainers that use them. My Manectrics are always Ein and my Mightyenas are always Maxie.

With the exception of Rowlet (who I of course had to name Hanzo), I name all my grass starters after spices/seasonings/etc. I've caught a shiny Altaria in ORAS and USUM and I named both Cirro. My favorite nicknames are probably Eggman the Walrein, Dazzle the Salazzle, and Bisquick the Alolan Raichu. :)

Most of the time I never reuse a nickname. But every generation I get a female Lapras and name her Celty. I don't really know why, I just do.

I do not repeat nicknames. If I give a Pokemon a certain nickname, then that specific Pokemon is the one and only. I guess I see them all as their own individual beings even if they're, for all intents and purposes, the same (like if they have all the same natures, stats and such). I might take up suffixes in the future though, as a friend bred and traded a Pokemon to me with the same name as hers but with Jr. at the end to signify that he was the offspring, which was a pretty cute idea. I think it would generally need to be a Pokemon that really stood out amongst its peers for me to do that though, and I haven't really had that in recent years.

I nickname all of my Pokemon, and I reuse nicknames a lot across games. I have to, because I really can't be bothered thinking up unique nicknames each time I start a new game. XD Plus, I think some of the nicknames I use are really cute, so I want to use them again.

I don't nickname my pok?mon, although I used to. When I did, I would just add like a y to the end of their name.

My Pokemon' s nickname usually have something to do with what the are. For example, my Sceptile is named "Jukain" because that's his Japanese name, and my eeveelutions are named after their types.

But some are just named whatever I want. Like my Lucario is named "William S." (after Shatner) and my Togekiss is named "Tristin". I also have a Skitty on Sapphire named "Stupid". ^^"

I don't give my legendaries nicknames. I used to, but I realize it was kinda dumb since I could only catch one in the game.

I caught I female crabrawler and called it Nicola after Nicola Adams.

I caught a female gumshoos and called it whatever Donald trump's wife is

I called primarina Ashirene because that is her beautiful Japanese name :p

I don't really have a tradition but when I was 12 I named my fennekin "Wolfy." lmao really embarassing

My first pok?mon was a Cyndaquil named JAMES, so whenever I get a Cyndaquil that's immediately what I name it. All caps and everything.
Also, no nostalgia reason involved, but I always name my Flygon Marty, after Marty McFly. I know, I'm hilarious.

Last edited:
i name a lot of pokemon with the prefix "baby". like baby boy, baby girl, baby puppy. i give them less real names and more affectionate nicknames

There is this one tradition that I always give my starter a nickname, since the starter is all the time in my team. I named my Incineroar for example Jasper, as I thought the name would fit to him. If I have a Piplup, I either call it Bubbles or Cloudy. All the other Pokemon which I have the most time in my team are getting random names. I just look at the Pokemon and then choose a name which I think would fit the best. However, I don't give all Pokemon I catch a name. The ones I only catch for the Dex are not getting a name since I either let them free again, trade them or just put them in the box, as they are not getting into my team in the most cases.

Also, no nostalgia reason involved, but I always name my Flygon Marty, after Marty McFly.
I know, I'm hilarious.
Now that I think about it... Marty McFlygon. That name really fits to this Pokemon if you ask me. A good choice of a nickname.

Last edited:
Gen 3 came out when I was 9 years old and as my starter in Sapphire I got a female Torchic and named it Melissa after one of my friends. Ever since then, for the past 16 years, every single time I hatch a female Torchic I name it Melissa. But tbh no Torchic has been able to live up to the original Melissa for me. I have so many good memories of her and that game.

I name every single Azurill/Marill/Azumarill I've ever used "Kirby." Not really sure why I named it that in the first place but its stuck with me.
And not exactly related to the topic but I remember when I was playing Diamond for the first time, I named everything after some pop song. The only 2 I remember well were my Dialga (TiK ToK) and Mesprit (Whip My Hair). I don't actually nickname either of those 2 those names now but I still call them those names in my head. I was a strange kid but I'd do it again tbh.

Not usually, I like to treat them as a different Pokemon of the same species. The only exception is if I lose a Pokemon, like how I lost my very first Pokemon, Foxie the Delphox, so I re-used that name when I did another Pokemon X playthrough.

Back