• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

hermit crabs

Gruntilda

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Holiday Candy Cane 2017
Does it seem odd to anyone else besides me that hermit crabs are considered insects in this game? You can buy them in pet stores for goodness sake!

Yes, I find that particularly confounding! Someone dropped the ball on that one for sure.

I do understand that it might be confusing to catch what might be considered an ocean creature in a net on land, which might be why they did that.
Even so it's still straight up misinformation. It can't be a mistake either

It is odd. In the same way, tadpoles and frogs get grouped in with the fish. I can kind of see why the game does it, since it only has categories for insects and fish, but yes, it's a bit misleading.

I also think it's because there are only three categories for creatures in this game. Though they're not insects, they are caught with nets in New Leaf. It's misinforming, but I can see why they programmed it that way.

It is odd. In the same way, tadpoles and frogs get grouped in with the fish. I can kind of see why the game does it, since it only has categories for insects and fish, but yes, it's a bit misleading.

I think because a tadpole isn't a bug, it's an amphibian, born and lives in water, until it evolves.

Last edited:
I think because a tadpole isn't a bug, it's an amphibian, born and lives in water, until it evolves.

Yes, exactly. I was maybe a bit unclear. I didn't mean that it should be categorized as a bug. I just meant that the fact that it was categorized as a fish was also incorrect (because it's an amphibian), a lot like the original example of the hermit crab being called an insect. (There are a number of other "bugs" that aren't actually insects, either. But again, I can understand why the game groups them that way with the limited categories.) :)

Guess it's cause you catch them with a net and they crawl on land, but would make more sense if they were diving creatures (and you got them by diving)

Back