• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Tips for starting and keeping conversations?

Locket

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
2956-5463-1794
Friday the 13th Candy
Green Star Fragment
Blue Star Fragment
Pastel Disco Ball Easter Egg
Nightmare Easter Egg
Purple Candy
Blue Candy
Green Candy
Red Candy
Blue Mote of Flame
I've been trying to talk to my crush recently, but we only send maybe 4 texts to each other.
I want to become friends with him before the end of the year, but I have no idea how to talk to him.

I just want to be able to have a good conversation with him without being annoying.

Also @ you guys on Discord: I am not sending that pickup line.

Ask, and try to talk and know more about his interests. You never know and suddenly be surprised that you might have the same interests. That's good if you do. Ask him how he's been doing, if he's feeling great. If yes, be happy for him and send your best wishes. Talk about it, I guess? If not, try to be there for him, like ask if he doesn't mind you telling about his problems/issues? I mean, by that time, you probably already have things to talk about. Try to have that cheerful, positive attitude. Good luck!

when convos are getting dry/ending, i always try to revive it by finding a cool article/video on the internet and sharing it with them & being like "btw, this is so cool! just wanted to share:)" and then if they responds then talk about it. but dont try beating a dead horse tho if its not going anywhere, its just not worth it

& always be yourself, dont fake interests to keep it going for the sake of what your crush is only into. a true connection is when interests are mutual.

Last edited:
Common interests are overrated. Me and my best friend have little to no common interests, but we get along like a house on fire and have talked every day for about five years almost now.

If you two aren't talking, it's gonna be hard to keep up.

People love talking about themselves so ask him questions about himself (non-intrusive of course)

Try this: Are you Laban’s sword? Because you are exceedingly fine.

Find something about him to compliment and form a question from it. People love to talk about themselves so it’s easy to get the ball rolling wig that.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Find something about him to compliment and form a question from it. People love to talk about themselves so it?s easy to get the ball rolling wig that.

memes are the key, whenever conversations with my friends get awkward or stale i send a meme and they send back another meme and eventually we end up starting a new convo prompted by one of the memes or just a random funny though

also, my friend started talking to this one guy by sending him a linguistics meme and now theyre dating

People really like talking about themselves, so ask a lot of questions! If there's ever a silent moment or you don't know what to say about something, ask a question about it or him. People like feeling important and letting the conversation be about him is a good way to go about it.

I always send a controversial or interesting article or video. That always revives the conversation. I normally send videos, though.

I don't know much about starting a conversation, but to keep one, always try to look interested in the conversation. Maintain eye contact, have your body language mimic theirs, ask questions, but don't be afraid to put your input either. People feel awkward talking to someone who's only nodding and staring at them lmao.

Honestly I feel like if you can't manage to hold a conversation with a particular person, then that's a sign on its own. It should be effortless IMO if you have something.

Common interests are overrated. Me and my best friend have little to no common interests, but we get along like a house on fire and have talked every day for about five years almost now.

If you two aren't talking, it's gonna be hard to keep up.

Okay wow I don't think I could ever do this, like what's the deal if you do just random talk and have nothing in common?

Talk about something you can both relate to so that you both have something to contribute to the conversation. If you talk about something only you like, he won't have much to say back. And if the conversation goes stale, change the subject. Also, maybe plan to do something fun with your other friends and invite him along.

Use the FORD method.

Family.
Occupation.
Recreation.
Dreams.

Choose one and talk about it, if the conversation starts waning, switch gears and move on to something else and branch out from there.

I don't know much about starting a conversation, but to keep one, always try to look interested in the conversation. Maintain eye contact, have your body language mimic theirs, ask questions, but don't be afraid to put your input either. People feel awkward talking to someone who's only nodding and staring at them lmao.

I get what you're trying to say, however I think that trying to use every psychological trick in the book is distracting and doesn't really work unless it's natural. Not to mention, if you have to "try to look interested" when they're talking then I think you need to reevaluate whether you'd actually want to be in a relationship with this person.

P.S. Having to pretend you're interested in someone isn't worth it, trust me! I pretended to be interested when this gorgeous guy was talking to me about planes (I was genuinely curious at first, until I found it was the only thing he would talk about). Got to the point where it was so painfully boring for me that I ended up ghosting him when he asked me out.

Poor guy.He's with a girl that likes planes now so it's all good k

Last edited:
Just try your best to go for it. Like, it might be scary, but honestly, the worst thing is that the conversation will be awkward, and having an awkward conversation is probably better than agonizing about having a conversation that you haven't actually had.

I'm not really sure how to start a conversation since I usually just don't speak when spoken to, but once you can get your crush to start talking about something that he's interested in, try to ask a lot of follow-up questions, and also throw in your own personal anecdotes relating to the subject so it's clear that you two have stuff in common.

Ask, compliment,
be polite when asking about personal things/always ask if they are ok with talking about it before intruding

i tend to ask a lot of questions when im meeting someone new

but even before i realized that i think i just did a lot of listening to others? bc they liked to talk???? i dunno
people have told me i'm comfortable to talk with or that they easily trust me but i dont know why

Back