• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Videos games for the elderly.

Accidently clicked poll.

• red

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • blue

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • green

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • yellow

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ably.Saucey

Count your Many Blessings
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
5195-6588-2889
Orange Balloon
Father's Day Carnation
Spring Sakura
Blue Hybrid Violet
Purple Violet
Red Pansy
White Violet
Famous Mushroom
Spring Shamrock
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
Now, I'm not talking about Wii Knitting or something like that, I mean any games.
I really think the oldest generation would really enjoy playing games and if those health studies are right, it might help them with memory and focus.
I visit a 83 year old lady twice a week and sometimes she's really lonely or bored. I think she would enjoy Animal Crossing or other calmer, objective games. It might make her not feel so lonely, and maybe give her something to do and make her feel like she has a purpose.
Plus, most games have internet so she could play with her grandkids that she doesn't get to see often.
The nursing home I visit sometimes has a wii I think, with I Spy, wii carnival, endless ocean and others.
I would go nuts if I had to do 'arts and crafts' everyday, video games would be a good break from that.

I agree! I feel like most older people feel intimidated by video games which is why most stay away, but if they're introduced to the right game, I can see a lot of elderly people enjoy it!

We have a few retirees on this forum actually who enjoy Animal Crossing. I also know quite a few people in their 60s and 70s who play other simulation games: namely The Sims and Harvest Moon.

Last edited:
Even though I agree entirely, please don’t forget that the older generation is simply not used to video game controls, at all (generally speaking. There are exceptions, of course). I‘ve tried to introduce a few elderly people to Animal Crossing and similar games that I thought they might enjoy, but they always end up struggling with simple tasks like moving the character, opening menus or switching tools - stuff that people who are used to playing video games don‘t even think about as a possible obstacle. They then become frustrated with it and don’t want to play anymore. That‘s why I‘ve switched gears away from “regular” video games and show them Sudoku and Brain Training games instead. They honestly love it! I know at least three nice little old ladies who are addicted to Dr. Kawashima now, haha.

Last edited:
Arkanoid or those old floppy disk games? Idk I remember my grandpa playing those when he was old.

I don't think many would be capable of controlling games, which is a shame, but if that wasn't an issue, I think they could.

They would probably enjoy video games based on tv game shows like Wheel of Fortune, Price is Right and Jeopardy, etc.

- - - Post Merge - - -

It is something they can relate to since it has been in their time and also something they can interact with that isn't too demanding physically ie not requiring attuned motor skills

Honestly, my grandma got super excited about Pokemon Go. She loved going for walks with me while I caught things. She'd always ask what the names were and thought the AR camera was really neat.

Even though I agree entirely, please don’t forget that the older generation is simply not used to video game controls, at all (generally speaking. There are exceptions, of course). I‘ve tried to introduce a few elderly people to Animal Crossing and similar games that I thought they might enjoy, but they always end up struggling with simple tasks like moving the character, opening menus or switching tools - stuff that people who are used to playing video games don‘t even think about as a possible obstacle. They then become frustrated with it and don’t want to play anymore. That‘s why I‘ve switched gears away from “regular” video games and show them Sudoku and Brain Training games instead. They honestly love it! I know at least three nice little old ladies who are addicted to Dr. Kawashima now, haha.

It just takes patience on both sides to teach and to learn, THERE IS a learning curve for controls, but Brain age and sudoku are perfect examples of what I meant by calmer games. My grandparents like playing crosswords and wordfinds on their tablet. :)

Calm games that can be controlled easily are good. And if the game interests them.

Animal crossing might be nice, but it might be a bit hard for them to understand the controls and remember them all.

Back