• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Are there things you feel obligated to do that you really don't have to?

Buttonsy

Loser
Orange 🍊
Durian 🌽
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Tasty Cake
White Pansy
White Pansy
White Pansy
Tasty Cake
June Birthstone (Pearl)
Red Cosmos
Red Cosmos
White Cosmos
In my life, I've maintained relationships that were harmful to me but I felt obligated to maintain, but I eventually chose to put my feelings first and got away from those people. And it got me thinking, what are some things in life we do simply because we feel obligated to do, but we could choose not to?

My friends are the same as you were, I refuse to hold on to negative relationships with people but nobody else seems to think that way. I make conversation everday with this one guy who I go to college with who is is boring I could rip my hair out, but he had a go at one of my other friends who would end their conversations earlier than he liked and I'd rather just deal with messaging him then get into an argument :(

Last edited:
I always feel obligated to apologize for everything, even if it's not my fault or something that had nothing to do with me.

And it sucks but I always feel obligated to do everything for my mom, cause I know when I say no, or tell her to do it herself, she'll be a huge jerk for a good while after, even if she doesn't like actually ask, cause she likes doing that... For example, I told my mom there was pumpkin pie in the fridge if she wanted some, and she was like "yeah I'll have some right now, with whip cream" like I didn't say "would you like some pie right now, I'll serve you some" or anything like that. And I was in the middle of making my own dinner, so I had to stop what I was doing to serve her pie so she wouldn't be a huge jerk the rest of the night because she had to get off her ass herself. It really sucks, and she does it to my boyfriend too. =/

I'm guilty of being a video game hoarder. I pay a lot for video games that would sit on the shelf for year unplayed so sometimes I force myself to play an old video game alongside a new one (mostly when on vacation) and the result is almost always me saying "why haven't I played this amazing game before?"

In any game, for example, Pok?mon, my items must be in multiples of 5, so if I have 31 ultra balls, I have to buy 4 more. Master balls are annoying for me..

I mostly feel obligated to keep toxic friendships or hang out with people I don't necessary like anymore since I've been friends with them my entire life. I can't help but think that if I stop talking to them, I'll be the bad guy in our friend group so I just keep them in my life. I also feel obligated to be the first one to apologize in a fight since I'm always told to be the "bigger person" and that things will get worse if I don't do something about it, but it gets annoying especially when other people agree that I was on the right side. The only person I never have to apologize to is my sister, who thankfully understands whenever to drop the fight.

Go to boring family dinners and stuff. Like who said that you have to attend those to be a "good member"... Like sorry I wanna try have a life...

I feel obligated to apologize all the time even when I shouldn't have to 'orz

I often feel like I'm obligated to be respectful to someone just because they're older and especially if they're family. When in reality, age doesn't dictate if someone deserves my respect, and neither does family.

i feel like i always need to apologise and let people talk even when they interrupt me
i also keep coming back to a very toxic friendship because i just feel like im supposed to keep it alive instead of just letting go. my friends make me feel bad and anxious and blame everything on me and yet every time i stop talking to them, after some time i break and reply
and i have this issue, its relly annoying and i hurt poeple a lot because of it but i feel the obligation to always stay emotionless or show as little of it as possible? it started as a coping mechanism i guess, i used to shut down completely and im generally not very good with emotions and like.... basically even when i want to act on my emotions that arent anger, or when someone initiates physical contact i just?? ignore it or push them away because i need to maintain my cool exterior lol. its because i hate being dependent on other people emotionally, i just cant let myself have it even though i crave it, simply because i know that ill just want mor and end up getting hurt

Back