• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Switch Special Edition Coming Soon?

Cheshire

Manifest!
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Red Lily
Tasty Cake
Orange (Fruit)
When do you think the next special edition Switch will release? Is it worth waiting for one?
Ok, here’s the thing: I‘ve been burned twice now by Nintendo - first, I bought the old 3DS at launch, only for a Zelda edition to release mere months later; the second time, I bought a Wii U at launch, and then watched them release the Wind Waker edition. Both times, I was extremely salty, haha. That‘s why I did not buy the Switch at release, even though I really, really, *REALLY* want one.

I‘ve been playing BotW on Wii U, but do not want to buy the DLC for a dying dead and buried system and then buy it again for Switch later on - I‘d much rather play the Champion‘s Ballad on a Switch from the beginning. Sooo... what are the chances of me buying the boring grey version in December, only to watch them release a super-cool looking Champion‘s/Guardian‘s/whatever Zelda edition in spring?
I know nobody can predict what Nintendo will do, but we can at least speculate. I expect them to release an Animal Crossing edition Switch in summer or fall next year (which will probably be white and green, just like the AC 3DSs), and a Pok?mon edition Switch next winter (which will probably just have the new cover legendaries‘ colors and silhouettes on the back).

I already got myself a clear fire orange and smoke black housing for the joycons and console itself, so I can mod it, either way - I‘d just be sad if I missed out on something really cool and official mere months later, like I did with the other consoles.

So, what do you think? Should I buy and mod one? Or wait for a cool hypothetical Zelda edition?

Last edited:
My plan was to wait for an Animal Crossing edition, a Zelda one didn’t really cross my mind considering BoTW came out without one. As much as I’d like a special one my new plan is to see if I can get a bit knocked off on Black Friday, I’m not expecting too much but it’s better than none at all. Besides, you could always dislike the one they come out with too. If you’re sure you want one then I’d say wait but if you want to play now I say just get it, what’s the point in waiting who knows how long to have a different design?

I'm waiting until more games I want to play come out, I'm less concerned for special editions. But with how popular BOTW is I wouldn't doubt they'll have a "zelda" special edition at some point. But of course nobody can forsee when they put it out.

Hmm I feel if an Animal Crossing game will come to Switch, then it is probably the best chance at a "limited edition."

There's the Odyssey Bundle now, but the Joycons can be bought at a store. :p

There's not really a chance they'll make one for BOTW now since it has been released for a while now. :/

Nintendo Switch did have one proper special edition, but it's exclusive to Japan. It comes with Monster Hunter XX, with both the Switch dock and the handheld unit painted. Given that the hardware lacks region-locking, this one's import-friendly! Keep in mind that thing is way pricier than your average Switch and that you'll need to purchase the AC adapter that matches with your power outlet.

Since Nintendo Switch is being treated as home console first, most of the limited/special editions would simply swap the colors of Joy-Cons. If the more recent Nintendo home consoles meant anything, the ones that actually decorate the dock and handheld unit would be hard to come by. Even the wildly popular Wii didn't have a lot of differently-colored consoles. If you really want the Switch special edition that isn't outside of your region, you're definitely going to wait for a long while.

My best bet as for when another Limited/Special edition would appear might be the next mainline Fire Emblem installment, which is scheduled to release in 2018 for Switch. Awakening and Fates had at least one of these when they launched.

Source: https://www.slashgear.com/nintendo-switch-monster-hunter-xx-edition-release-revealed-02487267/

Nintendo Switch did have one proper special edition, but it's exclusive to Japan. It comes with Monster Hunter XX, with both the Switch dock and the handheld unit painted. Given that the hardware lacks region-locking, this one's import-friendly! Keep in mind that thing is way pricier than your average Switch and that you'll need to purchase the AC adapter that matches with your power outlet.

Yeah, that one's pretty sweet! I've actually considered buying it from Japan a few times - until I saw the estimated import taxes at the checkout, haha... orz. Do you think there's even a tiny chance that we'll get it in the west, considering that MH is notorious for performing poorly outside of Japan? (Which is a shame. I love Monster Hunter.) Ah... nevermind, I think I just answered my own question... :|

My best bet as for when another Limited/Special edition would appear might be the next mainline Fire Emblem installment, which is scheduled to release in 2018 for Switch. Awakening and Fates had at least one of these when they launched.

I completely forgot about Fire Emblem! You're right, it would be a great opportunity to release a pretty neat special edition, just like those awesome FE themed 3DSs. Thanks for reminding me! :D

Last edited:
phht, that Monster Hunter one isnt painted up at all based on those photos, it just has emblems on the bottom side, and on the cover that nobody uses...

phht, that Monster Hunter one isnt painted up at all based on those photos, it just has emblems on the bottom side, and on the cover that nobody uses...

I couldn't figure out a better word than "painted" to accurately describe those "emblems" while writing that post.

And by "cover", you mean the dock? If that's what you're referring to, then the 8th page of the latest financial results briefing from Nintendo will prove you wrong. 70% of Switch users from Japan, America and Europe/UK regions actually played in docked mode, with 19% of them exclusively using this mode. Even though those numbers are a little lower than the undocked portion did, there's still quite a lot of people who uses the dock. Where did you get the fact that nobody uses TV mode?

I'm hoping that they would make a real Special Edition with designs like that found in Monster Hunter? But it looks too subtle for me what they put on the back of the Switch. I'm not going to talk about the dock because it's just a frickin' dock. I'd rather have the design in my joy-cons next time :p I like what Keys Factory did (Hori-like brand in Japan) with their splatoon silicon covers so I want to see something like that embedded in one of the special edition Switch or joy-cons sometime in the future. Not right now though. Have mercy on my wallet haha xD

I like what Keys Factory did (Hori-like brand in Japan) with their splatoon silicon covers so I want to see something like that embedded in one of the special edition Switch or joy-cons sometime in the future. Not right now though. Have mercy on my wallet haha xD

I agree! All those silicon covers look pretty great - I especially love the Zelda (the one with the tribals) and Skyrim (with the dragon - I haven‘t checked if it‘s Alduin, Paarthurnax, Odahviing or just some generic enemy dragon, though) ones from Hori.

Also, I caved in and finally bought a grey Switch (on 3.0.0... YAY 8D ) - and swapped the housing with clear fire orange and smoke black, which I think looks pretty amazing (but that‘s just me, haha)! I can really recommend those clear shells to everyone who‘s bored with their Switch‘s colors and can‘t wait for a special edition. Thank you everyone for the comments! :)

Last edited:
People really think ACNL is coming out next year? I was thinking more along the lines of 2020, lol. I like my grey/black Switch. I just wish they make lime green joy-cons to match my 3DS.

Back