• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Wierd baby names. ( sardonic vent)

Saying that though, if I ever have a daughter I would want to give her a Celtic name - some of my favourites being Aoife (ee-fa), Aisling (ash-lyn), Eilidh (ay-lee), Oonagh (oo-na), and Wynne (win-ee). But I live in a Celtic country so I feel like that cancels it out!

oh man i'd make a complete fool of myself if i had to read out loud some of names lol, especially aoife...would never guess it was pronounced that way

Last edited:
oh man i'd make a complete fool of myself if i had to read out loud some of names lol, especially aoife...would never guess it was pronounced that way

Celtic names are hard it's true. I speak very little Gaelic but I'm exposed to it on a daily basis so I know the pronunciation rules. :p

I hope people don't think that of my son's name. His name is Miko. We liked the names Milo and Niko, so we combined them. I'm not a fan of average names (Micheal, Daniel, Matthew, Joshua, etc.) and wanted to use something more unique. I suddenly started hearing the name "Miko" everywhere after that, mostly on the news. It was weird. But the name apparently isn't that odd. Yet sometimes I have people thinking it's Japanese... I looked it up and it means "shrine maiden" in Japanese... I'm not an otaku, I did not want my son to be named shrine maiden.

I hope people don't think that of my son's name. His name is Miko. We liked the names Milo and Niko, so we combined them. I'm not a fan of average names (Micheal, Daniel, Matthew, Joshua, etc.) and wanted to use something more unique. I suddenly started hearing the name "Miko" everywhere after that, mostly on the news. It was weird. But the name apparently isn't that odd. Yet sometimes I have people thinking it's Japanese... I looked it up and it means "shrine maiden" in Japanese... I'm not an otaku, I did not want my son to be named shrine maiden.

Miko is a common derivative of several Slavic names. This was my first thought reading his name. :)

I think Miko's cute too, like Tina said. the first thing to pop in my head is vikings.

I can't stand unique spellings of common names, I really can't. My name is Kayla, and I still get people asking me how to spell it because they have "this one friend who spells it with an H or a C" and I'm like ?????

why would you let your child go through that type of pain lmao... I get it they want to be different but this is 2017 people

i just remembered a story my 6th grade science teacher told us,
she once had a student named Ta-a
guess how it's pronounced

ta-dash-a

i just remembered a story my 6th grade science teacher told us,
she once had a student named Ta-a
guess how it's pronounced

ta-dash-a

I had a substitute teacher that had a similar story; she told us she was called in to one class that had a kid named La-a, and it ended up being pronounced "Ladasha". And apparently her brother's name was just "?".

I like unique names to an extent (ex. Kaeden, Jaysyn, Raelynn, Gloriya), but when it gets to something completely crazy and ugly, it just seems weird.

Saying that though, if I ever have a daughter I would want to give her a Celtic name - some of my favourites being Aoife (ee-fa), Aisling (ash-lyn), Eilidh (ay-lee), Oonagh (oo-na), and Wynne (win-ee). But I live in a Celtic country so I feel like that cancels it out!
My cousin's name is Aoife!

I agree with what several people have pointed out. More unique names are ok (as long as it's not something the kid will get ridiculed for, like Pancake) but things that are impossible to spell are just going to make the kid's life harder

having unique names are cool (as long as it's not too extra)
i'm happy my name is pretty unique in my country, even though people pronounce it wrong

God, I really hate those edgy names that try to misspell every syllable. Alternate spellings are one thing, but people naming their kids something like Vyktoreah or Keiughtlynn goes too far. Like I have no problem with fantasy or uncommon names, but when they look ugly but sound like a common name... what's the point?

Being edgy with an alternate "cool" spelling.. like.. just no.

Having a name that already has like a million different "normal" spellings it's funny because I just know that's probably how it got that way. Everyone wanting to name their kid a form of "Katherine" then changing all the letters around so many times to make it "different". Honestly when I used to write my nickname "Katie" people would even spell THAT wrong, like Katy, or Catie and I'd just be like... "Why did my mom curse me!?" Also didn't help that I had like 6 girls in my grade all named Katherine going by different forms of it. Had a girl in my class who had my same first and middle, and same last initial, so we'd get confused CONSTANTLY. I think that's why I would prefer giving my kids unique names, obviously not impossible spellings of anything, but so they don't have to go by something like "Katie M." the whole time they're in school. That's why I go by Kaydee now.

Last edited:
i think its very interesting to use names from another countries but in an attempt to be too unique it starts to be ... comical perhaps?

i don't really mind weird names as long as they sound pretty, intelligible and you're actually able to spell them...
one time my ex and i were coming up names for children if we had any and he liked the name burdur, i never really liked it myself because it sounds dopey to me

i'm so sorry but the first thing i thought of when i heard "burdur" was the pok?mon "gurdurr" :/

- - - Post Merge - - -

my name (including my first name, middle name and even my surname) have never been very common anywhere i've lived, and whilst they aren't too out there in terms of spelling, people *always* end up butchering the pronunciation; for example, a while ago I was telling a classmate my middle name (celeste) and they pronounced it keh-lehs-tay... like whaat?? :confused:

I really like the names Ana?s and Rosemary (nickname Romy lol). Not together. Two separate names.

My mother works in the NICU back home and she has had her fair share of odd names she’s told me about. But there were these twins that were born in her ward. The parents were planning to do at-home birthing and stuff and decided to not go to the hospital for ultrasounds throughout the entire pregnancy (sounds terrifying imo). So they didn’t know they were having twins. The first words out of the mother’s mouth after realizing she just gave birth to twins were “Goodness gracious!”

And they named one child Goodness and the other Gracious. Goodness. Gracious.

These twins can now never be apart without each of them looking like one half of a “best friends” pendant.

Last edited:
tumblr_ohezt72LLM1tqwuzho1_540.jpg

Honestly I think it's up to the parents on what they want to name their kids, yeah the kids may hate their name but that's why you can always end up changing it. I haven't given much thought to kids names considering I'm only 16 but I find the name Bea pretty nice for a girl (yes, I know that's an ACNL character and no it's not based off of her- I just find it to have a nice ring to it). Also for a guys name I was thinking of Ryker which isn't thatttt bad either imo

I’ve seen this! It’s so funny!!!

Glutane always gets me (imagine kids ostracizing your kids with the excuse that they “don’t eat gluten so [they] can’t play with glutane” lmfaoooo) and the little qualification for Bona petite (her husband is a chef guys calm down it’s okay).

I read Brexet as Brexit and I can’t read it any other way. Imagine naming your kid that. Evalater sounds like how a small child would mispronounce elevator.

Last edited:
I recently read about a couple who tried naming their kid after a beer brand. Didn't go through though.

Back