• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

The worst time you were sick?

I contracted a stomach virus when I was 6 years old, probably from the after-school program I was a part of. I can't remember details but they were considering removing my appendix. My parents resisted that, not wanting to put me through surgery if it wasn't necessary. I was in the hospital for a few days and recovered without an appendectomy. Though I don't recall much from that time, I remember sharing a hospital room with a boy around my age and, by coincidence, we each had the same stuffed kitten. That plushie didn't leave my grasp through the whole thing.

I've never been hospital sick, but I've had the flu pretty bad a couple of times

last week I was so sick that I couldn't get out of bed for two days and after that I was hardly mobile
Other than that, the last time I was really sick was years ago when I was 12-ish, same deal, but it lasted longer

I think there was sometime when I was about 7 or 8 where I was throwing up for nearly 6 hours straight, but I don't remember that very well. The worst time I can remember was giving myself caffeine poisoning when I was 12 by drinking EXTREMELY strong coffee in a way too high amount and just not being able to move or eat for like a day or two...

According to my mom, it was when I was about three or four. I was constantly committing and had a fever of 104. She was very mad they didn’t hospitalize me. I’m still here though so I guess it worked out.

As far as my memory, it was when I had mono. I started to get sick my freshman year of high school. I went to my first concert for my favorite band at the time and started to feel sick and had to leave early :/ Thankfully, the band I wanted to see was on before we left. I ended up in the Er with a fever of 102 that night and was diagnosed with step throat. Finished my antibiotics and still felt sick. Went to another doctor. Strep throat. I ended up at a third doctor and got diagnosed with mono the second he heard all of my symptoms. He didn’t even bother with a blood test.

I was sick for months to the point where I would go three day stretches without eating because I was just that exhausted. I stayed on my couch and could only get up to use the bathrr. It was *the worst* experience.

I had the flu in high school and missed something like 16 days because I had a fever of 102.5 that would break and immediately come back. Every time the fever broke, I would sweat a ton so I kept having to change clothes and sheets. Everything I tried to eat or drink was disgusting, but I forced myself to anyway. I was dizzy, every part of my body ached, I went from being freezing cold to burning up every 10 or 15 minutes, I threw up a ton (even water), I couldn't breathe through my nose at all, and I had an endless headache.

Worst time of my life and I really hope it never happens again but damn it I'm not getting a flu shot. I hate needles so much.

I mean I was hospitalized once because my blood sugar was extremely high (603, normally you wanna be around 180 max), but that was like... I walked into the ER and said "Pretty sure I have diabetes" and they checked and I def did lmao, but my actual physical condition wasn't really that bad. My endocrinologist said it was a miracle that I walked into the hospital on my own instead of showing up in an ambulance in diabetic ketoacidosis, I had pretty much all the symptoms except for the crippling pain. Apparently a lot of people who go into DKA think they've got appendicitis or they're dying etc, so I was really lucky.

As far as like, regular illnesses, I had strep throat so bad once it hurt to breathe. This was back when I was working at a really small restaurant in a food court and my boss wanted me to come to work anyways lmao even though the doctor said I was super contagious. And then once when I was a kid I had a really bad stomach virus where I was pretty much stuck in the bathroom, puking one minute and then diarrhea the next. It was awful, like, sitting on the toilet leaning over the tub, the kind of sick where you just want to die.

A few years ago I was hospitalized for dengue fever. I didn't even suspect it at all so I waited a couple days before going to the hospital. I thought the high fevers would go away with some rest, but I couldn't avoid it any longer when I started getting dehydrated and couldn't keep any food down without vomiting.. and even brushing my teeth would make my gums bleed like crazy. It was hell. Mosquitos are the most pointless ****s ever.

Other than that, the only thing I can think of is my first time getting food poisoning. It was funny because my mom took me to her and my dad's "first date restaurant" but she didn't order her first date food but I did and I got food poisoning from it. It sucked because I was traveling a few days later, I was going trekking so I had to be at optimal health. Good thing I recovered before then.

I was rather lucky in that area:

I got a severe pneumonia when I was 14 and missed almost one month of school, I couldn't eat anything solid and was fainting all the time, I stayed in bed for the first weeks.
A tonsillitis so bad that I couldn't breath anymore and was rushed to the hospital.
A strange infection that filled my lungs with water.

But the worst was maybe H1N1 flu, it didn't last long, but I couldn't move at all, even opening my eyes was too hard, and while that time I had a pissy kitten that was biting my face and I couldn't do anything.

I was 3 I believe, I had a fever or something and the doctors thought it was something worse so they gave me antibiotics. Since it was very strong, my gums got badly infected and I had to stay in the hospital for weeks or something...slept there taking gross medicine every night...I don't remember more than that.

Also, when I was 7-9 (my memory sucks sorry) I had the stomach flu. Diarrhea and vomiting every second >~<

Stomach bug has gone away! Lord I will never say my period cramps are the worst ever again =^="

when i was a baby i caught the flu and had a 103.5 fever which could have killed me.

and then there was another time that happened about a year or two ago. it wasn't so much painful but it was pretty terrible. i had a double ear infection and a double eye infection (yeaaaaaa.... lmao) which was right before finals so while i was busy dying, i had to study. i also had a sore throat for a week which was hell and caught this nasty cold to match. it was linked to the ear infections so that was cute.

Last edited:
Recently when my period pain got so painful that someone called an ambulance for me..

My sinus infections that I got for several years up there to mid 2015 were absolutely miserable. My nose is always stopped up to a minor extent, so when I get colds, my nose gets stopped up really bad, and I am a nose breather. These sinus infections were severe in that regard, I could not breathe out of my nose at all and when I would try (which I naturally do) I would feel like I'm suffocating. o.o

They were also accompanied with bad sinus headaches, coughing, and one time a badly sore throat. Even worse, they wouldn't go away unless I went to urgent care and got a shot and medicine. I would think I could fight through them, and think I was winning, but then they would come right back.

Thankfully, I started taking multivitamins with extra Vitamin C and for the last couple of years they have really helped me. Now I'll get them but they only last like a day, and the symptoms are minor in comparison.

When I was a kid I had this thing that lasted forever, I was going home in the middle of nearly every school day because I'd feel okay getting up in the morning but I'd be worn down way too fast, I had to take medicine for a super long time and had to have X-Rays because it was so deep in my chest. I know it lasted like over a month and it was just awful, especially since it was when I was like 9 or something. It's funny because since I have rosey cheeks I learned that I turn sheet white when I'm sick, that's how the nurses knew I wasn't just BS'ing when I would walk in the office. So now I know that's always an indicator for me that I'm really sick.

Back