• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

How to get high turnip prices??

rayaacrossing

bluebear ;)
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Yellow Lily
Red Lily
Pear (Fruit)
Tasty Cake
Winter Mittens
Hello, i was wondering how you get high turnip prices? Ive seen people get like 600 bell prices. is it just luck?

Pretty much, luck, and keeping an eye on your turnip prices every morning and afternoon. I've​ been playing since near release, and earnt a lot of my bells through turnips over the years. However, I have heard that excessive time traveling can affect the outcome of later prices on a bad scale.

Recently on my second town, I didn't time travel nor touch that copy in months, and my turnip prices were quite high, at one point it was up to 619. But I bet it was just a coincidence. I time travel a lot on both my main and second town now, and haven't seen prices like that ever again.

Last edited:
And it seems if you time traveling the Turnips will turned out become rotten isn't ? one day like last week I tried to buy some turnips about 10 turnips maybe, after that..
then i tried to time traveling for a villager the turnips was on my locker
when i checked back it turned into a rotten turnips !
i'm kind of out of topic sorry but do anyone know how many days turnips will get rotten out ? i'm still new to the game so i kind of don't know everythings about the game xD

Last edited:
And it seems if you time traveling the Turnips will turned out become rotten isn't ? one day like last week I tried to buy some turnips about 10 turnips maybe, after that..
then i tried to time traveling for a villager the turnips was on my locker
when i checked back it turned into a rotten turnips !
i'm kind of out of topic sorry but do anyone know how many days turnips will get rotten out ? i'm still new to the game so i kind of don't know everythings about the game xD
  • Time travelling forward with turnips is fine, as long as you don't pass Sunday.
  • Time travelling backwards with turnips will unfortunately rot.
I recommend if you have a plentiful amount of turnips, and need to time travel. Drop them off in another town, and come back for them later. The date and time you drop those turnips off does not matter, as long as that user does not time travel backwards or pass Sunday.

Last edited:
Ooh that is why mine is rotten, after doing the time travelling forward a few days i then doing travelling backwards i think that is why mine is rotten.

Thank you so much for the answers :)

High turnip prices are luck based! If you notice a good pattern, it might be useful to check prices in the morning and in the afternoon.

I think the highest when I was actively turnip-ing was something in the 500s.

I've had high price in towns that I don't time travel and ones that I do.
With my main town I only check the afternoon prices. With my Guest town I do check the morning/afternoon because I can change the clock back. The Guest town has had high 600 3 times and a lot in the 500. In my spare towns I time travel each day to get weeds or to buy trees for a golden axe. The spare towns where I tt have got high turnip prices. On those days I leave the town stuck on that date and than time travel in another spare town to a Sunday. If the price is 95 or under I buy. If not I time travel to the next Sunday to see what the buy price is. Than I buy in one town/sell in the other on the same day. Using shovels to dig holes around Joan helps to keep her in place. I've bought 2 lockers full and Joan stayed in the same spot. Sometimes I leave both towns frozen so I can buy/sell for a couple of days.

Basically Chibi.Hoshi puts it very succinctly if you have turnips to sell (ie you have bought them)
?Time travelling forward with turnips is fine, as long as you don't pass Sunday.
?Time travelling backwards with turnips will unfortunately rot.

Separate issue: the turnip price patterns Reese offers: In past games time travelling would make the pattern go into the ever decreasing one.
Does it in this game? I'm not sure, partly because I don't TT although I freeze time to play every ingame day.
I don't think it does aka stitichmaker's post. I don't think how you change time effects it either (either via Isabelle at front screen or in system settings prior to loading the game).

Liquefy in his walkthrough faq gives a great detailed look at turnip price patterns, high spikes low spikes etc.
From his own towns (so the sample is relatively low) he only got prices over 500 4.8% of the time. But prices 200 & above happened nearly in a quarter of the weeks he played.
My towns follow these percentages. The very max price you can get is I think under 700 (I've never seen a non hacked price over).

https://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/997811-animal-crossing-new-leaf/faqs/65246 section 32 the stalk market

If you only have one town then you are almost forced into trading (albeit if you don't you should overall still make a profit), with two towns you can keep the high priced town frozen for while to sell from the other one.

The turnip economy is to some extent 'spoiled' by players with powersave etc that can artificially put the buying price at whatever they like (I think the max is 999). It takes away some of the excitement, for me at any rate. The stalk market is a form of gambling - a good lesson as you can lose a lot as well as win.

Just a heads up to BigMikey - unless Kurt Boyer has recently improved his program for acnl turnip patterns - it doesn't work very well. His program worked very well indeed for accf, but I think Nintendo have changed their algorithm for turnip price patterns in acnl.
Can always test it out with past data, I haven't done so but I've seen several posts over the years acnl as been out saying its given incorrect advice as to when to sell.

Last edited:
I always go the train station if the prices in my town are suffering. It's a great way to make money and I wish you luck in the stock market!

I used the Kurt Boyer program for New Leaf turnip prices in September and it seemed to work just fine. I used it as a helpful tool in conjunction with Liquify's advice in Section 32 of the above-referenced link. Don't rely too heavily on any one source and use common sense. I had no way of visiting other towns for high prices, so did what I could on my own and was able to make some profit.

If I ever buy turnips, I usually just check the train station on this forum. Usually someone will post a high price during the week that tends to be better than mine. The prices are also different in the morning and the afternoon which I thought was weird. I had someone selling in my town around noon once and the price just randomly dropped all of a sudden.

I have never really understood the whole turnip thing. I do time travel a lot, so maybe that's what's keeping me from fully committing to it. Is this really hard to keep track for a first timer ?

I have never really understood the whole turnip thing. I do time travel a lot, so maybe that's what's keeping me from fully committing to it. Is this really hard to keep track for a first timer ?

Depends on how much effort you want to put in. Prices change twice a day. I assume people still post good prices on the trading board, but you'd have to be willing to keep an eye on that if you have access to trading. It got to be too much of a hassle for me, so I don't bother with turnips at the moment. Just up to how much you want to keep up with following prices in your town and on the trading board. It also helps to read the advice in the FAQ that was posted earlier in this thread to learn the patterns. Not hard, I'd say, but needs a certain amount of commitment to get the most out if it.

Back