Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Classic Easter Egg
Zen Easter Egg
Golden Easter Egg
Zen Easter Egg
Classic Easter Egg
To those who run Firefox (and those who don't), Firefox has pushed their 57.0 update which they are calling Firefox Quantum. On top of a sleek new look, this browser is now faster than Chrome in a multitude of ways, while using a significant less amount of memory/processing power. If you have a slow computer or like to have a lot of tabs open, using this browser will keep your computer running smoother overall.

You can download it here: Mozilla Landing Page

Also going to mention that Mozilla respects your privacy a lot more than any other company. Google collects a lot of metrics about you and your browsing styles while, with some configuration, Firefox is almost looking comparable to TOR in terms of privacy.

Anyone using it yet? What are your thoughts?

my computer is pretty fast and i don't use firefox (i used to ages ago but at some point we stopped idk) but this seems pretty cool!

Hopefully they haven't reworked how sound is handled since out of a sample of two, Firefox is the only browser I could get to do sample-perfect audio loops which is a requirement for one of my projects which I don't want to have to port from JavaScript to something else.

I've never had any issues with Chrome being resource-hungry or anything like that and I'm sure the sending of data such as crash reports can be disabled so it's what I use. Firefox feels like it's fallen behind with a number of things, such as the fact it doesn't respect my display settings aren't at 96ppi. Hopefully this update will change some of those things.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Just had a quick search for the update and it appears loads of sites have been publishing articles about it mere minutes ago. This one looked interesting since it compares the new update with Chrome in terms of speed and it seems Chrome is still best, although it's still early days, this isn't a great deal to go off and anything faster than Internet Explorer 8 pleases me: http://mashable.com/2017/11/15/google-chrome-vs-firefox-quantum/

Hopefully they haven't reworked how sound is handled since out of a sample of two, Firefox is the only browser I could get to do sample-perfect audio loops which is a requirement for one of my projects which I don't want to have to port from JavaScript to something else.

I've never had any issues with Chrome being resource-hungry or anything like that and I'm sure the sending of data such as crash reports can be disabled so it's what I use. Firefox feels like it's fallen behind with a number of things, such as the fact it doesn't respect my display settings aren't at 96ppi. Hopefully this update will change some of those things.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Just had a quick search for the update and it appears loads of sites have been publishing articles about it mere minutes ago. This one looked interesting since it compares the new update with Chrome in terms of speed and it seems Chrome is still best, although it's still early days, this isn't a great deal to go off and anything faster than Internet Explorer 8 pleases me: http://mashable.com/2017/11/15/google-chrome-vs-firefox-quantum/

Interesting, however Chrome is so memory hungry that Mozilla is so much better for me. Especially with my resource hungry work environment. Also, from what I've experienced so far, it is a snappier responder.

I use Firefox for a number of reasons. Firstly, it's customisable (I love my themes), secondly, Chrome took way too long to install for a mere browser, and finally, I respect Mozilla as an organisation much, much more than Google.

I'm still getting used to the new update (I keep forgetting where the download progress tab is now), but I like the sleek look, and anything that makes it run faster and use less computer power is good in my eyes.

I've always found firefox to be slower and more clunky to me than chrome is, but I tend to keep firefox on my computer anyway (just to have two browsers) so I don't see the harm in giving the new update a shot.

Love the new icon. It definitely runs better, but not good enough for me to change it to my primary browser. But it's nice that my secondary one now won't freeze three times before being able to load a website. No idea why Firefox runs so badly for me, it worked fine on my first computer and used to be my primary then. But I don't even like the design nowadays anymore.

Interesting, however Chrome is so memory hungry that Mozilla is so much better for me. Especially with my resource hungry work environment. Also, from what I've experienced so far, it is a snappier responder.

I've experienced the opposite in terms of performance, although I've only really used Firefox for websites that require Java and testing my online content. In terms of memory consumption... Chrome is currently using 770MiB for just one tab with one extension (AdBlock). That is a little too much and it wouldn't surprise me if Firefox has a significantly lower number. The memory consumption isn't an issue for myself but for those with less memory I imagine it is.

This is pretty far out from what most web browsing consists of, but Chrome has the edge when it comes to spinning wizards. It's just a recent abomination of mine which is the only reason why it serves any relevance. Note that this is without the Quantum update.
(hasn't finished uploading at the time of posting this - if it gets a worldwide block for copyright infringement, it consists of wizards spinning around over the music video for You Spin Me Round with Firefox having a more jittery result, although Chrome isn't perfect either)

i switched from firefox to chrome when i got a new computer. lol idk if i care about browsers enough to switch back

Hate the new layout sigh. What's it with big sites/companies always having to change layouts to stuff they think people "like"?

If it runs faster, good for them. I've always used Firefox more or less since most other browsers miss stuff I need, so.

Is it just me or are logos and **** getting more simple? ;s

Last edited:

Yeah. I still miss this lovely icon.

google_chrome_old_logo_psd_by_ockre-d3f4gnv.jpg

Hate the new layout sigh. What's it with big sites/companies always having to change layouts to stuff they think people "like"?

really hope someone makes a "classic" add-on

current layout is a mix of painfully confusing to navigate and frustratingly hideous to look at

like congrats, you managed to make chrome look pleasing, and I've always considered it the most trash-ass looking faux-sleek modern browser up to now

speaking of, the new logo is ugly af

Yeah, I do too. That's one random add-on I'd actually get, I swear these minimalistic square looks like this and the "new" youtube one ...**** off.

yeh i dont like the layout either. like why They always gotta be moving everything around, and changing how it looks??

I switched to this update because chrome took up more memory than this firefox update. I can definitely see where it's much slower than chrome but I've decided to put up with it. I don't really have memory issues on this laptop but after my last one, I'm trying to better manage this laptop.

i finally found the Refresh button, lol, tyye moved it to opposite side of the screen for some reason...

Back