• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

nuclear energy

mitfy

court jester
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Famous Mushroom
Friday the 13th Candy
Lucky
Voodoo Doll
Ancient Candle
Purple Bat Potion
Pumpkin Cupcake
Ruby
Pink Candy
what's your stance on nuclear energy? do you think we should use it, or is it simply not worth it?

this is the topic of my research paper for english and i was curious of others' opinions.

for argument's sake i'm writing against it, but in reality i'm iffy on it, since it's a very complex issues with many pros and cons

It's really not a great idea, tbh. Too much nuclear waste that would build up, plus meltdowns like Chernobyl and Fukushima. It's just too dangerous to really be worth it. There's a huge market for solar and wind energy, I think companies should be focusing on that.

Have you guys ever thought that nuclear energy is the most efficient and CLEANEST.

Both accidents occurred because of unnatural reasons.
The Chernobyl accident because the design was flawed and the personnel inadequately trained.

The Fukushima Disaster because of a bloody tsunami.

If left untouched, it's our best chance for clean energy, besides solar and hydro power.

It's very safe and efficient if handled correctly, but when things go wrong, they go wrong big time.

- - - Post Merge - - -

So basically I'm undecided. :p

^^ yeah, i agree. if it could be perfect without incident it'd be great, but just as an oil pipeline is going to spill, there are going to be accidents with nuclear reactors. definitely not all explosions or meltdowns, but just, if a bunch of solar panels or wind turbines malfunction the reaction is going to be very different (and far tamer) than a nuclear malfunction, where there's the possibility for evacuation and health risks. there's already a pretty big opposition to nuclear energy in the first place.

if the plants have properly trained workers and efficient emergency procedures then like, go ahead. if it's guaranteed to be safe then there shouldn't be a problem (though no one can predict more tsunamis lol)

it is one of the cleanest sources of energy available rn but also,, it still causes pollution in some cases - thermal pollution. it's not as big of a threat as fossil fuels but ya.

i better not be writin my essay on here lmao

Have you guys ever thought that nuclear energy is the most efficient and CLEANEST.

Both accidents occurred because of unnatural reasons.
The Chernobyl accident because the design was flawed and the personnel inadequately trained.

The Fukushima Disaster because of a bloody tsunami.

If left untouched, it's our best chance for clean energy, besides solar and hydro power.
It may be the most efficient, but efficiency doesn't always correlate with the best option.

Yes, Chernobyl was unfortunate because it was the earlier days of nuclear power so of course there would be design flaws and we've learnt from those mistakes. Fukushima wasn't "unnatural" though, it did go wrong because of natural reasons like the fact that it's in Japan where Japan has many earthquakes and therefore the risk of a tsunami increases. Once again though, we can learn from those mistakes.

I'm not fully against it, but I'm not for it either. I think in some countries where hydro, solar, geothermal and wind power isn't possible it may be a good idea. But I'd prioritise hydro, solar, wind etc. over nuclear just because of the risks that nuclear proposes and the huge environmental damage it can do. Yes, there is risks associated with the other power generation methods to, but to me they aren't as huge. Once again though, if the nuclear power generation is handled properly and as best as it can then it should be fine. However I just think there's still better options and I don't think it's realistic for some countries, and nuclear shouldn't be there first choice where there's other options available.

It's all fun and games until there's a nuclear meltdown.

But seriously, I'm not really for it. I'd prefer if people would try harder to use renewable sources, like wind and solar power, but then again that's their choice to make.

Hmm I once went to a Power Plant and was told it had both Pros and Cons, so I'm not so sure bc of it lol.

Last edited:
I mean, in a perfect world where earthquakes, tsunamis, and structural design flaws never happen, sure it'd be great. But we don't live in that perfect world. When we have safer, cleaner alternatives, I just don't get why that's what people go for.

Back