• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

A Question for Folks Born in the 90's

i'm an early 2000s kid but grew up with a lot of the 90s stuff bc of my brothers, am i good lol

i was always a bigger fan of nicktoons. i didn't really watch the other two until i got older. i really loved catdog, hey arnold, spongebob, rugrats.

BIG fan of animaniacs. one of my very favorite cartoons, i was so excited when they put it on netflix and now they've taken it off :mad: :(

i never watched cartoon network, but i kind of wish i had now that i'm older, there were so many iconic cartoons. didn't watch disney until i was older, watched some hannah montana, and then this was around the time suite life on deck was a thing. but yeah i never watched as many of the older iconic disney shows because when i was little i just wasn't a fan of live action shows and as soon as playhouse disney was gone i'd yeet on out bc i didnt care for the rest.

I watched Cartoon Network mostly as kid

Actually that’s not true I mostly watched broadcast TV shows cause I didn’t have cable I only watched Cartoon Network at my grandmas house

Last edited:
cartoon network for me! (cartoon cartoon fridays, anyone?) Although I also ADORED nick and disney. We didn't have cable until I was around 10, so I didn't watch disney until then. I loved Kim Possible. That might be my fave cartoon ever.

I remember watching a lot of Cartoon Network, probably the most out of those three. I have memories of sitting at my friend's house watching Powerpuff Girls and the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy often. Later I tuned in to Adventure Time when it came out. Those were fun times :blush:

cartoon network for me! (cartoon cartoon fridays, anyone?) Although I also ADORED nick and disney. We didn't have cable until I was around 10, so I didn't watch disney until then. I loved Kim Possible. That might be my fave cartoon ever.

Ohh, yes, I remember "Cartoon Cartoon Fridays" :) New epsiodes of the classics

I don't remember which shows were on what. I would need a list lol
I do remember not watching much Disney Channel, I can't think of anything I liked on there besides The Proud Family which wasn't even a 90's show iirc hahah

I was born in June of 1999 so I guess that counts lol

I only ever watched Nickelodeon, specifically Spongebob. Though I do remember all those old awesome cartoons that they used to have, too bad it turned to crap when I was only about 7 or 8.

Initially, I only had access to Nickelodeon and really enjoyed it. My favorite Nickelodeon shows were probably Ren & Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, and Are You Afraid of the Dark? but I also watched pretty much everything else: Aaahh!!! Real Monsters, All That, CatDog, Double Dare, Doug, Hey Arnold!, Invader Zim, KaBlam!, Kenan & Kel, Legends of the Hidden Temple, and Rugrats being the other standouts.

Ren & Stimpy was definitely the best of the cartoons as far as I was concerned and I watched it a lot. SNICK was a pretty big deal to me especially because, as you can guess from my username, I've always been into horror related stuff and watching Are You Afraid of the Dark? on a Saturday night as a kid was the best thing.

Eventually I saw some Cartoon Network shows when I was visiting a friend's house and really enjoyed what I saw. After a little while our family decided to get cable and a whole new world of entertainment opened up to me. I really enjoyed a lot of the Cartoon Cartoons: Courage the Cowardly Dog, Dexter's Laboratory, Ed, Edd n Eddy, Grim & Evil (and later the Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy), Johnny Bravo, and The Powerpuff Girls.

Meanwhile, I paid no attention to the Disney Channel. While I would occasionally watch Disney movies growing up, I never cared about their movies or programming very much and even today only like a few Disney things (specifically the Hellfire song from The Hunchback of Notre Dame and Moana because I saw it with my best friend).

It's difficult to gauge whether I prefered Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon. Nickelodeon was a huge deal for me when I was very young and I even still remember visiting a friend's house and having a popsicle with green slime inside since Nickelodeon had that whole slime gimmick with their game shows and award shows. Cartoon Network hit me like a truck when I first was exposed to it and had some really strong shows like Courage and Ed, Edd n Eddy.

If I had to pick, I think Nickelodeon would be victorious for me. Ask me the same question a few years back and I feel like I would have answered Cartoon Network, but upon reflection, Nickelodeon at its prime was superior in my opinion.

We only got Nickelodeon here when I was like 14 and then it was all I watched. Before that I always switched between DC, CN and national programs to find anything I like. But Nickelodeon got me instantly hooked.

Well I was born in 2000, but Nickelodeon did continue to have good shows but it started to go downhill from around 2004 to around 2006.

Eh, it really depending what I was in the mood for. Disney was great for movies and preteen girl. Nick was great for slapstick comedy & Nick Gas. Cartoon Network was good for mindless cartoons & background noise.

- - - Post Merge - - -

TeenNick was also good for preteen girls, i.e. Unfabulous, Degrassi, & Zoey 101

I was born in mid-1999, so I was born in the 90s but I'm not a 90s kid.

I think if I had access to Cartoon Network cartoons more often, that would have been my favourite, since I occasionally got my hands on Cartoon Network VHS tapes and loved those to death, but I don't think most of the channels I had carried it, so I usually ended up watching Nickelodeon, so those are the cartoons that are the most nostalgic to me. That being said, from a non-nostalgic viewpoint, as in cartoons airing in the current day, definitely Cartoon Network.

Basically, if you asked current me, probably Cartoon Network, if you asked little kid me, probably Nickelodeon, but I'd watch either both when I was a little kid or now.

cartoon network was my jam as a kiddo.
loved the adult swim portion and the toonami goodness.

I was born in '99, but from what I can gather, the shows I watched were pretty much the same as the ones in the 90s. I was always tossed up between the three, but my least favourite would have to have been Disney Channel, and my favourite being Cartoon Network. I loved Nickelodeon, though.

I would mostly watch Nickelodeon for shows like Rugrats, The Wild Thronberries, and Hey Arnold. I also liked shows like Sailor Moon, Sonic the Hedgehog, Pok?mon, and Yu-Gi-Oh, Hamtaro, but I don't remember what channel they were on. This is probably what made me an anime fan though.

Last edited:
I would mostly watch Nickelodeon for shows like Rugrats, The Wild Thronberries, and Hey Arnold. I also liked shows like Sailor Moon, Sonic the Hedgehog, Pok?mon, and Yu-Gi-Oh, Hamtaro, but I don't remember what channel they were on. This is probably what made me an anime fan though.

Sailor Moon and Hamtaro were on Cartoon Network; Pok?mon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and Sonic X (assuming it was X), were on the channels that broadcasted the 4Kids animated segment.

Nickelodeon. I always loved Disney movies, but was never much into Disney chane! I liked PB&J Otter, but that?s it. Nickelodeon has my favorite shows, Rugrats, Doug, and Little Bear!

Sailor Moon and Hamtaro were on Cartoon Network; Pok?mon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and Sonic X (assuming it was X), were on the channels that broadcasted the 4Kids animated segment.
I just remember all of the anime goodness was on Saturday mornings. And my neighbor even won one of their random contests and got a cool Pok?mon toy. :)

Back