• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

why does the bamboo doesn't grow?

samxmas

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
3622-0621-0339
Small Mailbox
I have planted 5-7 Bamboo shoot to make a road. but it seems the middle one doesn't grow. what makes this happen? thanks

Attachments

• pzSdfW4.jpg
    pzSdfW4.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 144
I'd say it's because it's shaded by other bamboo. Try chopping the one behind/in front of, it down, then plant the other one. Replace the chopped one the next day if the other has grown.

Last edited:
I'd say it's because it's shaded by other bamboo. Try chopping the one behind/in front of, it down, then plant the other one. Replace the chopped one the next day if the other has grown.

but there's no other tree or anything in 9x9 spot? is it because I planted so many Bamboo shot in a day? I've planted 5 yesterday

It's the shade. It can stop things growing. Try planting them in a different order until you've grown them all.

I've had to chop something nearby for multiple sites and then replant what I've chopped. I've never heard of the "shade" thing. I'm not sure I've always chopped the next door or front/back one to make it grow. Hmm. This makes me want to experiment.

I've never heard of shade either. I think maybe you have too many trees in one acre? I think you can have 15 total in a 7x7 area.

It's not any in-game shade that's doing it, but proximity to the other objects. Trees can be one space away from other trees, houses, and rocks, so the placement of the bamboo in the picture indicates it's a valid spot for it to grow.

It's also shade. That's why sometimes they don't grow, until you cut one near it (yes, I know there has to be one space in all directions) down, and plant the one that keeps wilting, wait for it to grow, then replant any you've had near it.

Trees planted in a square, for example, the inside ones may wilt if all planted together. Plant the INSIDE trees first, so that they have a chance to grow, without being blocked/ shaded by the outer trees.

It's quite simple. Common sense.
That's why I've had trees fail to grow in exact spots other trees were, until I got the planting order correct.

Last edited:
It doesn't cast an actual shadow. It has bamboo each side of it.

I can't explain it in simpler terms. :(

Last edited:
If bamboo is following acnl tree planting rules then the bamboo samxmas (Thread Creator) shows as dying is because it is surrounded by other bamboo plants. So yes its sort of saying the same thing, it won't grow in the shade of other plants.

You might be able to grow in that spot if you plant the bamboo in rows.
Its more or less explained (for trees) in this thread:

https://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/120685/are-there-any-spacing-rules-for-trees

In effect very similar to what BigMikey has said.

I don't know if there is a total bamboo per acre rule - you can only plant so many trees in an area & only up to (is it 12?) bushes in a row. Is there similar for bamboo? - it may follow the same rules as for trees. Liquefy has the number of trees per area in his walkthru faq on gamefaqs.

Since the update bamboo does not spawn as many bamboo children as it did prior to update - frustrating for me as I was sort of just getting into 'farming' it.

Last edited:
hey so I've tried planting it again in that same spot and nope, the bamboo still wither... what could be the problem? the left and right tree is growing normally, and I've planted it in the same day

You planted them all together - again?
Plant the middle one first. Wait to see if it grows (the next morning). If it does, then try planting the side ones.

Don?t use obscure fan terms like ?shade? and expect people to know what you mean :rolleyes: I?ve been playing since 2013 and never heard it before either

Don’t use obscure fan terms like “shade” and expect people to know what you mean :rolleyes: I’ve been playing since 2013 and never heard it before either

Fan terms? o_O
Obscure?
Are you truly having a go at me, over shade?

Grow up.
I've been playing since 2005. :-/

Last edited:
I have never hear of this shade thing. I there has been some instances where the trees won't grow and I didn't know it was because of no shade.

Fan terms? o_O
Obscure?
Are you truly having a go at me, over shade?

Grow up.
I've been playing since 2005. :-/

Blocked.

chill, no one's throwing SHADE at you
sorry i had to. I cant tell if youre joking about blocking or not but if you are serious i think thats kind of silly, i doubt they meant harm

Back