• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

I use "though" and "just" too often.

AnimalCrossingPerson

Please respect GDPR
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
New Horizons Token
20 Envelopes
Red Candy
Red Candy
Winter Mittens
Lucky
Holiday Candy Cane 2017
Timmy Christmas Doll
New Leaf Token
Isabelle
I often throw in these filler words if trying to write something like an email, but I'd like to use them less often. How can I do so? Feel free to ramble about your own overused words if you prefer.

My sister says "y'know" too much. It drives me nuts. I used to be really bad for saying "like" but when I lived with my grandma for a few months she would point it out every time I did it and it kind of trained me out of it.

I always keep a thesaurus tab open so I can quickly find alternatives.
I also have a habit of using repetitive words.

You think I do, though, then again, I just don't.

[SUB]I try wayyyy too hard....[/SUB]

Last edited:
Find a replacement word. I used to write "like" a lot, but then I replaced it with such as lol

It really bugs me when people say the word "obviously" a lot. Wish I could help.

it?s just like really obvious though, y?know?

Last edited:
Find a replacement word. I used to write "like" a lot, but then I replaced it with such as lol

i agree with this! For "though", try "although", "even though", and "but even so". For just, you may want to omit it all together unless it serves an important purpose, but if it's necessary, try "only" and "simply".

I use 'oh' and 'that's good' way to much. Idk how to stop doing it though!

Last edited:
I don't use just as much though. Just though.

I always squeeze in some "just"s and "though"s in my posts on here so I can get them sweet, sweet bells 👌👌👌

In emails and actual written pieces, I do tend to reuse some words a lot, so I will need to try to use more variety in my wording.

I don't think I use any word too much.

I use the words "actually", "literally" and "like" when I'm making jokes or acting like a tool as a joke because I can't stand them.

Last edited:
I use "However" too often. I think I just like the way it sounds. Sometimes when writing a paper, I try using it and I'm like, this is extremely unnecessary and it just sounds like I'm an idiot trying to sound smart.

There's nothing wrong with filler words in a message as long as it's not professional. Without them your message will sound incredibly dry and unpersonal, so don't be afraid to use them. If you want, you could try to pick up other words to try to switch it up.

Back