ever met up with an online friend?

i haven’t but i have plans to this summer! i’m nervous because we’re kind of different from each other so i can see it getting awkward if we aren’t cautious about letting conversation slip lol but it’ll still be a good time

I did once and it ended up destroying our friendship. We used to play games and chat every single day. Sometimes we'd even Skype WITH camera and I'm not usually comfortable with video chatting. But I really trusted him which is also very unusual for me. So one day we met up at some gaming convention near my house and it was all going well until he wanted a relationship with me. I decided to give it a try because I never had a relationship with a boy before (he helped me accept my sexuality btw). I don't really want to talk about everything that happened but it didn't go well and I haven't talked to him for at least 3 years... I honestly miss him but I know that we can't go back.

Most of my friends at college are actually people I met on tumblr or twitter in like 2013!

Not yet, but I am moving to the same city as another member on this forum and potentially going to the same University as them in September :eek:

i haven't, but i do really want to! i have a friend ive known for almost 4 years now and i really wanna hang out irl sometime. i also have another group chat of friends that would be fun to hang w (though there's only one of the 3 that i would realistically be able to meet bc as of fall she'll cut her distance from me in half)

Met up with my online boyfriend (Fleshy on TBT) now he's my fiance and we'll be living together soon!

Yeah, I think if you proceed with caution and use common sense it's a total normal and acceptable thing to do. Last August I flew to meet a guy I had only been talking to for 8 months. You just gotta be smart and play it safe. If there's ever any red flags at all address those immediately instead of just ignoring it or pushing it away.

Couple times, yeah, met some people off of a facebook group. I haven't really been involved much online since then, and everyone I knew on bell tree is on the other side of the planet haha.

And I guess I've hooked up on Tinder before if that counts :)

Yeah, I think if you proceed with caution and use common sense it's a total normal and acceptable thing to do. Last August I flew to meet a guy I had only been talking to for 8 months. You just gotta be smart and play it safe. If there's ever any red flags at all address those immediately instead of just ignoring it or pushing it away.

Sounds like you had a bad experience, what happened if I may ask? :)

Last edited:
Yes! A couple times now. As an adult it's less scary, but that's how my girlfriend and I got together. We met online, lived two hours away from eachother in different states. She showed up in my town one night and we hung out and walked the beach and went bowling. It was super depressing when she left that night, but I think we knew right then and there that we were meant to be with each other. I never looked back since, she's my one and only <3

I've met some regular friends too, who are still super close to me!

Couple times, yeah, met some people off of a facebook group. I haven't really been involved much online since then, and everyone I knew on bell tree is on the other side of the planet haha.

Sounds like you had a bad experience, what happened if I may ask? :)

Well my online safety comes from an experience I had when I was younger - A girl that grew up in the same town as me was abducted and killed by a guy she met online. We were just 13 at the time so it burned a lot of fear and common sense into my brain.

However my experience with the boy last august went great and I flew back a couple months later and stayed with him for over a week and I'm sure we'll see each other again this year and we still talk everyday. I had it kinda easy in the sense that he was a twitch streamer, so I could kinda see him and his surroundings a little bit more then meeting someone anywhere else.

But having lived through that girl being killed I try to convey online safety as much as possible.

No, and I hope I never do. I find friendships made first with people IRL are more fruitful, and often most of the time people are hiding things from me.

Yes!! Not sure if it's considered "online," but I met my current boyfriend on Tinder. :) I've also met up with friends from YouTube and Gaia Online.

Well my online safety comes from an experience I had when I was younger - A girl that grew up in the same town as me was abducted and killed by a guy she met online. We were just 13 at the time so it burned a lot of fear and common sense into my brain.

However my experience with the boy last august went great and I flew back a couple months later and stayed with him for over a week and I'm sure we'll see each other again this year and we still talk everyday. I had it kinda easy in the sense that he was a twitch streamer, so I could kinda see him and his surroundings a little bit more then meeting someone anywhere else.

But having lived through that girl being killed I try to convey online safety as much as possible.

I agree, that's a smart move. You can never be too careful, I'm so sorry to hear about the girl :( sounds too horrible. Ugh.

I'm glad your experience with him was good though!

Yes, but I've only met one, which is my fianc?(e). Fortunately for us, we're only 4 hours away from each other, so we are able to see each other often throughout the year.

Last edited:
Since I got "online friends" from anime circles in instagram, I've never met with anybody. My mom used to be paranoid, and take my phone away and yell at me when she found out about my online friends. I don't talk about them with her now. I'm 15 now, and I really want to meet one of my friends from Australia, but he's 16 and we can't really do that right now. I had a dream the other night that I met an online friend who lived two hours away, though.

Back