• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

ever met up with an online friend?

No. People don't like me enough in person, let alone online.

Yeah, but that was an old high school girl that went to the same school as me, we did end up friends during HS time and a bit after that but now I don't really have contact with her.

I've met one. Her name was Krystal, and we meet up twice. She was such an amazing girlfriend lol, but then I screwed up big time. :/

Yes, quite a few actually! The most noteworthy being a fellow NaNoWriMo writer from Austria I've met up several times with (once we met in Germany and the second time she came to Scotland).

I also met a user on here, Jas0n, earlier this year! :blush:

Yes, and it was a *huge* mistake. I usually have no interest in meeting online friends offline, but we noticed that we go to the same college, study the same subject (Computer Science) and are only one semester apart in our curriculum, so I agreed to meet him outside the hall after a lecture. He seemed harmless enough and even friendly online, but was really a GIANT CREEP (in capital letters. He constantly joked about rape and murder. PSA: Don't do that unless you desperately want to seem like a complete and utter sociopath) in real life who ended up stalking me on the campus, no kidding.
Luckily, I had some awesome friends at uni who I could tell about this, and they made sure to never leave me alone with this guy. Whenever they saw him approaching/trailing me, they came over and were like: “Hey, want to grab something to eat/study/do something somewhere else with me?”. Can’t thank them enough :)

Last edited:
yeah, kind of regret it though. it was a really nice experience but i abandoned all of my online friends suddenly (edit: i didnt do this WILLINGLY btw just wanted to make that clear lol ;__; ) the only online people i talk to are my boyfriend and tbt people

Last edited:
Yup. Twice now, met one of my good friends.
He came to my town/place for Halloween last year and a few months ago I went down to visit him for about 2 weeks. It went pretty great both times :) He's hoping he can save up enough to come to me for Halloween next year.
We've been friends for about 3-4? years now so we trusted each other enough to meet up irl

Last edited:
Nope, all my friends are yanks kms
I'd be too scared to show my ugly ass face in front of them, and I'm problematic af so revealing myself would be even more cringey

- - - Post Merge - - -

Makes me feel scared. Glad you guys found nice people over the internet but....I don't find it too safe

I mean, the people you see irl are the same people who use the internet? I can't really explain myself lmfao, but I mean... there's dangerous people whatever platform or place you're on/in

I have an online friend that I found out lives like 15 minutes away, and we've yet to meet irl, lol. Apart from always being busy, we're both very introverted and homebodies.

i realized i only wrote that i had met ppl from the internet irl but i wanted to write some more lol

i befriended three people on a swedish forum in 2011 when we were all 11. the website we met on was managed by a magazine for kids and they had a meetup or whatever at skansen (kind of like a zoo in stockholm) in 2012 and three of us decided to meet there bc all but one of us lived in stockholm and meeting at skansen for an event like that seemed safe enough for us and our parents because obviously our parents were a bit worried and w/e.
we were really stupid when we planned it because we didn't send pictures of ourselves to each other so when we were at the meeting place we had no idea if the other people were there ahgdfushsdh but eventually one girl went up to me and asked if i was me and then we found the third person a bit later so it all worked out in the end but we probably should have at least let each other know what we looked like lmao.
i had some pictures and a video from that day on my old old phone but when it died forever i lost them ):

then i've met them a few more times..??? all four of us met at a museum a year later and we had a lot of fun together even tho it was a bit awkward because we were all awkward and shy and not used to talk to each other irl hahah.
i met one of them alone when i was at my uncle's house because they were neighbours at the time, i met another one of them at an amusement park (i think we might even have met twice two different years but i'm not sure?????? maybe we didn't and it only was one time idk), and the third one have i met without the other two when i went to a bigger meetup (that was Really cringy adugnhgsf imagine a bunch of edgy 13 year olds, super typical emo, "different", hipster and Woke kids walking around in lmao it was extremely weird) but she didn't stay for long because her ex was at the meetup too.

i don't think i have met any of them since 2014 and we have drifted apart a lot and never talk now but they were my best friends from 2011 to 2014 and i was really sad when we started drifting apart ): now i don't really care that much because we're very different people (one of them is a racist league of legends player who only cares about her boyfriend in brazil (who seems to be the only friend she has???? idk)) but hbgsfphgfddsf Y e ah

yes. i found out both of us were going to the same uni, and we were roommates in our freshman year!
initially, it took some getting used to. we were online buddies in ~2011, so it had been a long time since we last spoke. both of us changed a lot too.
we don't live together anymore, but she's one of my closest uni friends :)

im not a very trusting person (i grew up with a lot of NEVER TRUST ANYBODY ONLINE A T A L L stuff and that lead me to have trust issues lol) but i have some good friends that i do trust. imo if i have enough verification you're a real person, and that you are who you say you are, then i'd be open to it (depending on how good friends we are). eg ive video called with close friends and my girlfriend, and so im 100% sure they are who they say they are.

if we did meet up and they tunred out to be a creep, then i know how to drop all contact with a person.

I met up with an online friend! We're even a couple a now :D I visit her every couple of months or so.

I went overseas again recently and met my other friend and dizzy bone and played AC together B)

Ahh yeah it was so fun!! toonafeesh is the sweetest. On TBT I've also met Seroja which was really great <3

I've met a lot of people online. Usually my IRL friends don't share a lot of my interests that I can really geek out about (i.e gaming, hobby stuff, music taste etc.) but there's so many niche communities online that allow me to do that so it's cool actually meeting your online friends in person. When I was 12 I was active in some pixelling communities and became really friendly with a lot of members. I ended up meeting a few years later when I moved to the states for college. It was really nice meeting up after all those years of corresponding. A lot of them went into similar career fields as me so it was nice to see our common interests inspired us later on in life lol. Others I haven't met but have on Facebook now which honestly.. sometimes feels like the same thing lol :'D

Last edited:
I've met two awesome human beings, both from TBT (one I met twice), at separate times two years ago. I'm still in close contact with one of them.

Not sure if it counts, but I was somehow roped into tagging along with an old friend's girl group when one of them was meeting some shy awkward guy she'd met online for the first time. Probably one of the most cringe things I've ever witnessed. In fact, it was so painful watching them not talk to each other, I ended up speaking to the dude first despite only meeting this group for the first time.

:lemon:

I got to meet umeiko and darkdesertfox last summer since they drove to come see me at an anime convention!!! It felt so special that umei wanted to see me for their birthday :blush: Honestly, I cried when they had to leave because it was the first time I ever had so much fun in years. Even my grandma was so happy for me because she's never seen me cry from being so happy. Granted, I was so happy I cried a good 30 minutes after I got home and that's when my grandma got to see me.

I'm hopeful I can go to see them next summer!!!! Though, they might have trouble getting me to go back home....LOL.

sort of?

a close friend of mine and i met because i saw he posted it about going to a con i was going to as well, and i went and met him and the rest is history

every time i have its just been mutuals online that happen to become my con buddies, so yeah i have

Back