• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

does someone's icon affect how you see them?

i only see u as male bc ur username is paper*boy* but in all honesty i never really assume ppls gender based on their icon lmao given that ppls icons are often their fave characters or smth
My avatar was Toadette once, I wonder if users confused me as a girl.

I'd say yes, if a female avatar but the user is a male irl is a perfect example.

This is totally me...

Probably that's why people mistake me for a female... Because my name in real life can be both considered a girl and boy name ;-;

Last edited:
A little bit! It's not majorly important, but it is a first impression.

kinda? it'll make me assume how they act and their personality

i.e icon is a more 'snooty' character then i'll assume they act like that somewhat (of course i take it with a grain of salt)

then again this is coming from the guy with his icon of a character that is literally named 'satan'

Last edited:
I tend to think someone is a girl / boy depending on what gender the character in their icon is. Even though my icon is a male character and I am female. I contradict my own dumb logic. lol

to an extent yeah. i more so assume their age or their personality type based off their icon / avatar. maybe im just too judgmental.

I associate people with their icons, I get confused a lot when people change them, especially people who never really change them. XD I don't really think it has to do with who they are, unless it's a picture of them I guess, but more so reflective of their interests.

I always like trading with people, seeing their mayors and being shocked they look nothing like their icon for some reason. I've been on several forums for many years, even being a moderator on one of them and I always come to an idea of what people look like and how they sound. Because of this I purposely picked Olivia as my icon since that's my name:)

Definitely, people with really bubbly avatars come across as much more approachable, where as I tend to be more cautious of people who have really abrasive avatars, or avatars of really unpleasant celebrities or fictional characters.

Some of it is probably just me reading too much into it, but I think anything that is customizable will have some level of reflection of the person who customized it.

Yeah, it's bad, but I always see the person as their avatar.

I remember someone once had a shop on retail, but their avatar was pretty edgy and unapproachable looking, which kind of might of sort of drew me away from the thread. Then a few days later, they changed to a really cute dog picture, and I went ahead and bought something lol.

I can't help but subconsciously judge it, and it's annoying to be honest, because it doesn't really have anything to do with the person.

Not at all. Thoughts like this never even crossed my mind. Usernames on the other hand though, personal ones at least. Not really character names. Like other users using character names like me, I don't get much thought about who they are from it. I just assume they like the character a lot.

Yes, it gives flavor to their text and you read their post through their picture.

Reading this thread makes me feel like my avatar should be Barbie, Elle Woods, or some other blonde who wears a lot of pink rather than something gothic. Visually it would represent me better haha.

At first it does, especially if it's person that I've never interacted with before. For me, avatars help give a "first impression" without actually having to talk with them, this helps me decide how to approach them. But I usually change how I see them once we start talking to each other. A majority of the time, any one with "edgy, dark" avatars turn out to be really kind and patient people, which I'm glad about.

A little bit. If their icon is low quality, bad dimensions, bad quality art, etc, I tend to think they're younger. But that's about it.
I'm also generally a bit put off with furry-related art as well but that's a whole different ballpark.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Reading this thread makes me feel like my avatar should be Barbie, Elle Woods, or some other blonde who wears a lot of pink rather than something gothic. Visually it would represent me better haha.

Yeah, from your icon I always expected you to have a really gothic type of look so I was always surprised when I saw your pictures.

- - - Post Merge - - -

This is totally me...

Probably that's why people mistake me for a female... Because my name in real life can be both considered a girl and boy name ;-;

I...I thought you were female the entire time

yeah whenever i see an anime icon i assume the person is a weeb lol

Yeah, I think it affects how I view someone a lot. It gives me a face for them, and depending on whatever it is can really affect what I think of them or perceive them to be like.

uh no , someone could have a sweet pastel avatar and signatures but be ****** af oops

Last edited:
I think the only thing icons and sigs do is give insight to someone's interests/fav colors/etc. I don't think it really says much about their personality. If someone has the same icon for a long time sometimes I'll be thrown off for a bit if it's changed due to association. But those are rare cases.

But yeah, I've met some of the sweetest people with the most intense avatars/sigs. And some real *******s with cute stuff. Always go for content lmao

Last edited:
Back