• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

does someone's icon affect how you see them?

it sets the mood for the post

e.g; pastel colours are gentler than monochrome

it doesn't most of the time, but sometimes it does? I look at those avatars and signature as the internet's equivalent of clothes and accessories in real life, in many occasions they're made with statement in mind which could affect how people are view them and how their personalities could be assumed? other times it's just because it looks cool or it exists so just have to make the best out of it I guess. sites that don't use them surely look dull and colorless in comparison but guess that's not the point of the subject.

Last edited:
If they have an extremely fandom aesthetic and acts along with it then yes, maybe. But yeah if thet just have a dog or mayor art then, well not as much.

Nah. Well, except Sheila's, but only because I feel her Harvey avatar is a pretty good representation for her based on what I already know haha.

My icon definitely doesn't match 'me' as a person at all lol. They're all serious and he wants to drink her blood and I'm sat here on top of a Disney blanket dressed in all-pink PJs with little white sheeps on them. :rolleyes: Although I've met them both (the main reason they're in my avatar!!) and they're both lovely people! :blush:

To some extent. Avatars can give certain vibes if I do not already know the persons personality.

i do tend to judge a lot by just seeing a profile pic. it has to be something significant for me to avoid that person though, e.g something pretty gross

yeah and when people change avatars i have a hard time knowing who they are. there have been times on this forum when i thought one user was two different users with different personalities bc they changed their icon and i made a new person for the new icon in my head

Last edited:
I mean, not really? Unless it's a K-pop avatar and then I automatically dislike the member :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I personally think so, yes. I do think icons give off a vibe based on the person's interest or possible personality.

Mine is just based on one of my mayors. :)

Yup. I can't help but make a (probably wrong) assumption about the person almost immediately. It's all superficial assumptions though, I don't think badly of them or whatever haha

I'd say yes, if a female avatar but the user is a male irl is a perfect example.

does for me, its kinda like ur aesthetic of sorts? like ur avatar and signature are the places where you display your ~ p e r s o n a l f l a i r ~ or whatever so

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'd say yes, if a female avatar but the user is a male irl is a perfect example.

so by this logic people think im male bc my icon is my main oc which is male? hmm

does for me, its kinda like ur aesthetic of sorts? like ur avatar and signature are the places where you display your ~ p e r s o n a l f l a i r ~ or whatever so

- - - Post Merge - - -

so by this logic people think im male bc my icon is my main oc which is male? hmm
I'm afraid that's how logic works, for somehow.

yes if they have an anime icon I block immediately

I'm afraid that's how logic works, for somehow.

i only see u as male bc ur username is paper*boy* but in all honesty i never really assume ppls gender based on their icon lmao given that ppls icons are often their fave characters or smth

I recognise people by their avatars but don't pay much attention to the actual content in the image.
It's p much the same for me.

In general avatars and signatures mean nothing and tell me nothing about someone's personality, sure... if you have something super funny or fandom I will asume you like memes or that thing, but the things you like are by no means personality traits, and I find it hard to asume things about someone using pictures they purposely choose to show. It's the things you like and maybe the vives you as a person would like to give, but I have no way of knowing anything about you unless I read your posts/talk to you.

Back