• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Would you rather have main street or no main street?

I like that everything is in Main Street. Though Katrina's tent was so awesome looking, now she's shoved way back into a dingy litte dump.

I like the city more. While there wasn't a lot in the city, there was something about it that made visiting exciting. The only thing is that it took so long to get there. I think in the future, Nintendo should combine the city and mainstreet. Make it more city like, but make it easier to access.

I much prefer the city. I thought City Folk was a decent game! I especially loved the fact that Redd?s Shop was in a sketchy corner and it looked very creepy. It?s more realistic then Redd just randomly camping out in a green tent in the middle of town. I don?t really mind Main Street, but it certainly isn?t my favorite!

I like main street! I hope it means that in the future, there will be room for even more new shops and PWPs in your town, instead of having all the main street shops in your town.

Im kinda torn on the main street. On one Hand i like having all the buildings in one place. Its really convenient and the main street doesnt look too bad. I also like seeing the old villagers there. most of the times, even if I didnt like them, I enjoy seeing them there, with only very few exceptions.. -coughcough-Elise-coughcough-

On the other Hand, i also really liked having the Shops inside the actual village. But that would be a bit too packed in the current size of the map.

I am looking Forward to what the new AC game will bring to us!

I really loved the City and Mainstreet from City Folk and New Leaf! I do enjoy shops that are in town so I believe New Leaf executed it best. They made it a standalone area but, there were still some shops and buildings in the main area. In City Folk it felt like an adventure going to the city which I enjoyed but I know many disliked how long it took to get there and I think it took away from its cozy’ness. New Horizons does not feature many shops making the few that we got fit onto the island well. I believe it depends on how many shops will be featured in newer entries on to whether a dedicated area is needed and necessary.

I liked the city and Main Street, so I wouldn’t mind either.
Though, having shops in the middle of your town is nostalgic for me due to AC and WW.

I’d rather have a main plaza where all the shops and main buildings are located. Sort of like a downtown and not so linear. Something like what the HHA DLC has done. This area would be in its own separate location of your Island and this way you can still place Villagers’ houses wherever you’d like and still have room to customize and change the landscape.

I was fine with Main street. They made the map look like the residents lived on one side of the tracks while the touristy area of town was on the other. It didn't feel really disconnected or anything to me.
But there are benefits to having all the buildings on the same map. I can't really say NH did that... As it was the same public buildings for the most part with the residents. Like it was super minimal. But you could move them around which is nice.

The next ac, I would like to see a combination of NH, and it's DLC. Have the buildings on the same map as residents, be able to move them around, use materials and money to either build them or repair them, and then be able to customize them a bit so people's towns can look a little more varied. Especially since Nin seemed to really push online with NH. And NOS is a thing now.

Yeah I do love the main street from New Leaf. I did try to recreate on my island in New Horizions where I put the shops and museum close to each other.

i liked mainstreet from new leaf but the perfect layout in my opinion would be the basic stores like nooks cranny and the able sisters in town and the specialty stores in mainstreet (like gracie, leif, katrina, kicks)

I honestly want Main Street back in NH. Having to fly to Harv's Island and go through that painful Orville dialogue to customize furniture is the worst. I wish you could just go up in your island to reach all of it.

I agree with @Beanz in that the main shops need to be in your main village (the NL version of the Able Sisters shop just looks kinda wrong as a result of being in Main Street, and having the museum in Main Street meant that you couldn't see the second floor exhibits in Dream Towns) and that the other shops (GracieGrace without Gracie herself running it, Katrina, Shrunk, Reece and Cyrus, the HHA, potentially Luna?) need to be in a separate area that's a plane or train ride away (having them be adjacent to the village itself takes away a lot of the feeling that you're in the middle of nowhere, imo)... but I also feel there also needs to be travelling visitors who don't have permanent shops, just so it doesn't feel like the entire world of Animal Crossing is your town and this shopping area.

Leif, Kicks (mainly because one of the great mysteries of AC is "how on earth did Kicks go from being a lowly shoeshiner to a bloke who owns a shop?", and as a Cockney the man is designed for having a little market stall), Saharah, Redd... have them be in your town one day, the shopping area another day and absolutely nowhere the other days. Have them be travelling the lands elsewhere, have villagers mention they do so in dialogue, and you've instantaneously expanded the scope of the world of AC.

Back