• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Would you rather have main street or no main street?

K9Ike

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
New Horizons Token
I think main street is cool, but I personally liked it when the shops were down in the town, I'm not sure why. I was a huge fan of City Folk so I also LOVED the city. I also don't really like how Redd shows up in the plaza, I liked it in City Folk when you had to get the invitation from a villager and how his shop is in a sketchy corner of the city. Those were just my thoughts on it.

I liked visiting the city in City Folk. I just wish the city was bigger. I always thought it was weird that the town was bigger than the city in that game. I do like it when the shops are separate from the rest of the town. I'm not sure why Retail doesn't just join tne rest of the shops on Main Street though.

I liked visiting the city in City Folk. I just wish the city was bigger. I always thought it was weird that the town was bigger than the city in that game. I do like it when the shops are separate from the rest of the town. I'm not sure why Retail doesn't just join tne rest of the shops on Main Street though.

I agree with you on the city part. There was just a great feeling for me going out to the city whether it be during the day or night. I really need to go back and check on my town.

Hm. I prefered going to the city in CF as well. It was exciting! But either way, I just enjoy having a city-esque place. In WW there wasn't any sort of thing like that.

I like it, I just don't like having old void villagers there. I got rid of them for a reason, yet I'm forced to still see them. Every, single day.

I definitely prefer the Main Street approach over the city one. It's much more convenient to reach a good amount of shops and services within only a few seconds. In City Folk, the amount of time it takes for the bus to pick me up and release it in the city felt pretty underwhelming considering what we got there.

I mean, I like the main street, but then again, I also liked the city in City Folk a lot. And yeah I
agree with Redd and his shop, it was kinda cool that he had that little shop in the corner and I
prefer it more then the tent he has now in New Leaf. I kinda wish the next AC game has the city
from Happy Home Designer, where you have the school, the hospital and all the shops together.
I could imagine this city plus all the shops from the main street, like having a city like in City Folk
but much bigger and connected to your town (like the main street). That would be amazing.

Last edited:
I love going to the city in City Folk, but I do prefer Main Street. It'd be cool if we could get the bus to a different location though :D

I loved the city the most. Everything. From all the voided villagers to having Harriet unlocked from the get-go. Main street is great too but I didn't like how the shops were randomly placed in your town.

I would be nice if all the shops were in the town. It would be nice to not have to go back and forth. With my public work projects, paths, village houses, three character house and trying to make hybrids, I feel like I don't have enough room as it is though. The town would have to be bigger.

While I enjoyed the GameCube layout back in its day with the big buildings being in your actual town, I have to say that I prefer the idea of Main Street over it. It's a pretty small area all things considered, but I think Main Street looks nicer. Also have to agree with LunarMako that the town in New Leaf is small enough that I wouldn't want all that stuff making it feel even more cramped and restrictive.

I'd definitely take Main Street over the City as well. I never could find enjoyment in Animal Crossing City Folk, so I might just be biased, but while the City looked nice it was kind of underwhelming.

Have to say that I agree with you, OP, that I preferred Redd's shop mechanic in City Folk over him just placing a tent in the plaza in New Leaf. I'd like to see them bring that back and maybe make his place a general rent-out spot on Main Street where other temporary shop owners can set up and sell their wares and services. Kind of like a Halloween store that pops up for October then disappears, except it operates on a more day-to-day basis.

I still prefer the city and when you got a debit card. Like you said, I prefer when Redd was in the city instead of the town plaza.

maybe it's because i've only ever played new leaf, but i think i prefer main street...
i might get an emulator of the first game sometime or maybe hog my brother's old gamecube and buy the original if i can find it anywhere aha, until then i like having a single place to go instead of running all over the place

Last edited:
i loved the city!! i wish that existed again!! but was slightly bigger and you could take the bus to different places

I definitely preferred Main Street over the City, but I preferred having the Able Sisters and the Museum in town. I can see why that would be problematic in NL since the town is small but I just feel so used to being able to get to the Museum in town... I miss those times.

Imo main street is far better than the city. 1. it does not take 2 minutes to get there just a few seconds 2. We to have kapp'n back as a sailor 3. Its just more convinent

Main street didn't really bother me I thought it was aweomse but now that you mention City Folk it is actually a pretty awesome idea to have some shops in town

Back