• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Has the ending of a series ever made you upset?

Weiland

Flick Fanboy 🦎💞
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
7046-6089-3415
Has the ending of a TV show/movie/book series ever made you upset? For me, yes. The end of the Harry Potter books/movies meant the end of my childhood.
When I finished watching Psycho IV, it meant the end Anthony Perkins' era as Norman Bates and for some reason, it just really upset me because he was the PERFECT Norman.
The ending of Bates Motel made me cry and gave me a gut punch because it was such a good show and idk I just fell in love with it. It meant the end of the cast together; it meant the end of me anticipating the new seasons. It still makes me so sad to know that it's over. I have to keep up with all of the actors and actresses careers to fill the void Bates Motel left me lmao.
The end of The 5th Wave book series made me upset because it was such an adventure for me and I enjoyed every lovin' minute of it.
The end of The Maze Runner series (excluding the prequels) made me sad because I'd never loved a book series as much apart from Harry Potter and I grew so attached to the characters.
The ending of ASoUE book series made me sad and gave me a gut punch because you never find out what happened to the Baudelaires or any of the characters for that matter. They could've all died (and it hints at that in Letters To Beatrice), or they could have all lived. Sad stuff. I'm hoping the Netflix series doesn't tell you what happens because I love that it's ambiguous.
Yep, that's me. I get upset pretty easily because I get more attached to fictional characters than real people lol.

Last edited:
YES, there are definitely endings to book series that made me really upset. One was the Maximum Ride series, but I wasn't upset that it was ending or that I didn't know what was happening. I was upset because the ending was the absolute worst ending there could ever possibly be. I mean seriously, it's ATLA movie bad, if not worse, and everyone knows how awful that movie was.
Let me just rant about this book for a second.
I'll admit, I adored this series as a fourth grader with its strong and independent female main character (Max) and its great storyline. Winged kids who try to fight against scientists and the government while trying to fulfill their destiny to save the world and maintaining their secret identity? Who wouldn't want to read that? So anyway, my older sister read the books and had the whole series up to the one that was recently out during that time, so I read them all in a month or so. The first three books were great! There was amazing fighting scenes, humor, and plot twists that I never expected. I couldn't ask for more.
And then I read the fourth book, which when everything goes downhill. To sum that book up, it was eh. It was boring and slow, and the author created a female character, who was absolutely useless, just to create tensions between the main ship. I mean relationship wise, I guess it helped the ship between the main characters, but it did nothing to progress the storyline.
The fifth book was a little better, but there was clear dynamic shift in Max. She went from a total kicka** character to being solely focused on Fang, her love interest. Every single of priorities changed, and without a good reason. She just went completely OCC. Who needs to save the world when you have a boy toy to hang out with?
I should had seen the ships and abandoned ship, but I was devoted fan who wanted to finish the series no matter how much it hurts. God, it just got so much worse. The next two books were solely focused on creating tension between Max and Fang while the other kids were casted off to the side. One character did manage to some spotlight, but only to be painted as an evil and devious six year old who acted more than of an adult than Max. Also too much happened in such little time that you couldn't progress what really happened. It was just a mess to be honest.
And then the "supposedly" last book. It was supposed to be the final battle between Max and the evil scientists to stop them from killing 98% of the world. There were plot twists that really didn't make sense at all, but there were exciting parts that gave me some hope, I'll admit. And then it came to the final scene when Max was trying to save the world. At this point, I'm on the edge of my seat, finally waiting for this book series to redeem itself so I can say that reading it wasn't a total waste of time. It's just Max vs the whole world, the author couldn't mess it up anymore than he already has. And then Max "dies".
He killed off the main character, whom the series is named after and is still supposed to save the whole world. But it's okay! In the epilogue, it's revealed that Max somehow survived a tsunami. Oh, but 98% of the population died instead, but who cares when everyone's beloved golden girl is still alive?
Yeah, so Max's whole purpose in this entire series, which was to save the world from this one event and hyped up until this point, failed. Everyone dies except 2% of the population, which just happens includes her flock and the bad guys. I was pissed. It was a godawful ending, and I should had seen it coming, but I was pissed.
And just when things couldn't get worse, the author comes out with another book, the "true ending" of the series: Maximum Ride Forever. And my dumb butt actually read it, and literally cried at how stupid and unnecessary it was. To sum it all up, it was just another book to confirm and test Max's relationship with Fang, who died and then supposedly was revived through LITERALLY the Frankenstein method, as every other member of the flock was "hunted" down and "killed". (It turned out that they're all still alive, but it was just annoying at the time that while Max was busy worrying about Fang, literal kids were being hunted down.) It was just so stupid and ridiculous and did not do the first three books justice.
So yeah, that ending upset me a lot.
TLDR: don't read the Maximum Ride series. You'll just be disappointed and end up with less brain cells.

Can it be upset as in that I didn't like it (and not that I thought it was upsetting as in if someone dies or something/like Mother 3?)

Because if so, I really wanted to like the Legend of Korra (especially season 1) but the ending was just no...the writing was so lazy. It was just an awful bag of garbage. They had to go and give Amon a boohoo tragic story, when he worked so well as just a faceless and powerful leader. They didn't need to humanize him. His lack of humanity is what made him so powerful. He was supposed to be a representation of the non-benders segregation.

And as soon as the non-bender revolution finds out he's a bender, they all just leave their cause behind? And the segregation is swept under the rug? I'm sorry, that's not how it happens. There were no strives to equalize the benders and non-benders.

Then they flip-flop with a terrible in your face love triangle that no one wanted. And in the end, Korra learns nothing and Aang's spirt comes to her somehow (because she's so spiritual and in-tune with everything/even though she shows no signs of development) and gets all her bending back. Everyone who was with me, as we watched it for the first time, cheered as she went into the Avatar state...and all I'm thinking was 'when is this going to be over? This is horrible writing...'

Oh geez USA...that sounds just as awful as Korra and its love triangle.

Last edited:
One series that I loved that ended was Breaking Bad. I still consider the show to be one of the best things to ever be put on television lol

Luckily there's a prequel show for it right now and it's just as good (albeit a bit slower paced)!

not a series but i read a book once that was pretty long and the story and mystery were built up in a way that the only good explanation to what was happening would be ghosts or paranormal activity or whatever... but the author Had to make it all ”logical” and ”realistic” and wrote some bull**** ending about how it all was set up by one of the dudes because he hated his real father who was the father of the main character and he wanted to use his half brother to blackmail the father.
so what did he do? Yeah Well instead of driving up in a black van and dragging the brother (who he didn’t know at this point) into it he literally set up a realistic medieval roleplay in the middle of a forest, make his friends befriend and manipulate the brother to join them and then during the roleplay he made a bunch of paranormal things happen and then he locked the main character and almost all the other roleplayers into a dungeon or some **** that he had set up for fun or something????
i legit wanted to burn the book after i read it because it was such an extremely forced and stupid ending. sometimes the explanation can be ”lol ghosts” but i guess the author wanted to write a Realistic and Logical (????) book lmao

Most people are really unhappy about getting to the end of a good series or book, but I'm the opposite. I hate the feeling of having it unfinished just lingering about me lmfao, I feel really accomplished and relieved when I finally finish something

- - - Post Merge - - -

Unless you're talking about the actual content? Then yeah, I have cried and **** before

there are a lot of things where i've gotten really upset because it's over.
a few things that made me upset because it was disappointing. though thankfully not as much.

When Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends ended my heart shattered.

Before the post game, the ending of Rune Factory 4
...Venti Q^Q

Yes, an anime called Erased, forgot the Japanese name. Basically the main character, Satoru, gets put in a 15-year-coma as a CHILD by his teacher, Yashiro. There was this girl named Kayo who I think Satoru had a crush on, and they would have made the perfect couple. But because of his coma, she ended up getting married and having a kid with Satoru's friend, Hiromi. That made me mad because they never even had contact between each other when they were kids and now they're suddenly married??

idk the ending was good it's just that part that made me upset

YES, there are definitely endings to book series that made me really upset. One was the Maximum Ride series, but I wasn't upset that it was ending or that I didn't know what was happening. I was upset because the ending was the absolute worst ending there could ever possibly be. I mean seriously, it's ATLA movie bad, if not worse, and everyone knows how awful that movie was.
Let me just rant about this book for a second.
I'll admit, I adored this series as a fourth grader with its strong and independent female main character (Max) and its great storyline. Winged kids who try to fight against scientists and the government while trying to fulfill their destiny to save the world and maintaining their secret identity? Who wouldn't want to read that? So anyway, my older sister read the books and had the whole series up to the one that was recently out during that time, so I read them all in a month or so. The first three books were great! There was amazing fighting scenes, humor, and plot twists that I never expected. I couldn't ask for more.
And then I read the fourth book, which when everything goes downhill. To sum that book up, it was eh. It was boring and slow, and the author created a female character, who was absolutely useless, just to create tensions between the main ship. I mean relationship wise, I guess it helped the ship between the main characters, but it did nothing to progress the storyline.
The fifth book was a little better, but there was clear dynamic shift in Max. She went from a total kicka** character to being solely focused on Fang, her love interest. Every single of priorities changed, and without a good reason. She just went completely OCC. Who needs to save the world when you have a boy toy to hang out with?
I should had seen the ships and abandoned ship, but I was devoted fan who wanted to finish the series no matter how much it hurts. God, it just got so much worse. The next two books were solely focused on creating tension between Max and Fang while the other kids were casted off to the side. One character did manage to some spotlight, but only to be painted as an evil and devious six year old who acted more than of an adult than Max. Also too much happened in such little time that you couldn't progress what really happened. It was just a mess to be honest.
And then the "supposedly" last book. It was supposed to be the final battle between Max and the evil scientists to stop them from killing 98% of the world. There were plot twists that really didn't make sense at all, but there were exciting parts that gave me some hope, I'll admit. And then it came to the final scene when Max was trying to save the world. At this point, I'm on the edge of my seat, finally waiting for this book series to redeem itself so I can say that reading it wasn't a total waste of time. It's just Max vs the whole world, the author couldn't mess it up anymore than he already has. And then Max "dies".
He killed off the main character, whom the series is named after and is still supposed to save the whole world. But it's okay! In the epilogue, it's revealed that Max somehow survived a tsunami. Oh, but 98% of the population died instead, but who cares when everyone's beloved golden girl is still alive?
Yeah, so Max's whole purpose in this entire series, which was to save the world from this one event and hyped up until this point, failed. Everyone dies except 2% of the population, which just happens includes her flock and the bad guys. I was pissed. It was a godawful ending, and I should had seen it coming, but I was pissed.
And just when things couldn't get worse, the author comes out with another book, the "true ending" of the series: Maximum Ride Forever. And my dumb butt actually read it, and literally cried at how stupid and unnecessary it was. To sum it all up, it was just another book to confirm and test Max's relationship with Fang, who died and then supposedly was revived through LITERALLY the Frankenstein method, as every other member of the flock was "hunted" down and "killed". (It turned out that they're all still alive, but it was just annoying at the time that while Max was busy worrying about Fang, literal kids were being hunted down.) It was just so stupid and ridiculous and did not do the first three books justice.
So yeah, that ending upset me a lot.
TLDR: don't read the Maximum Ride series. You'll just be disappointed and end up with less brain cells.

Welp that whole ending just got spoiled for me lmao
I forgot where I left off, but I think it's around where she is focusing on Fang

To answer the OP though, animes that didn't get future seasons ig

boy oh Boy

i've gotten upset far too many times over series, and definitely more so when they ended. puella magi madoka magica is a good example of the first time the end of a show devastated me. it was literally the worst ending imaginable. it was also the first time i ever cried at an anime lmao. then they made that piece of **** movie and ruined the entire meaning of the anime and made everything sooo confusing? like why even bother with that?

another one that really made me mad was the anime charlotte. again, worst possible ending came true. it made me very, very upset. you don't even know what happens in the end, it's SO enraging, my god... like thanks a lot!!

I guess I could also add that the end of Death Note made me upset (both the manga and anime). Although I believe that the manga had the more fulfilling ending, I kinda preferred the anime's ending because it was ambiguous if you've never read the manga.

I'm still salty over Futurama ending, but then again it ended a few times, got cancelled, and then came back, so I still hold out hope that someone will buy it and bring it back. SyFy started airing the old episodes, so I wonder if they get enough people watching if they'll buy a new season, that would be amazing! And that was after Comedy Central bought it from Fox who cancelled it a few times... so yeah. It was just upsetting because I love that show.

Yes, I feel like this is one of the reasons I never finish the main story in a game or I start playing something else and come back to it a lot later. If I really like a game, I don't always want to beat it, because that will mean the story is over. I never beat any of the Assassin's Creed games because I prefer to either play the multiplayer or just explore the towns. I also unlocked a lot of the things in Breath of the Wild, but I am avoiding the final Ganon fight.

Yeah for me its Desert Punk. It basically left it on a high note for a second season, which never happened :/

Back